Brakes coming on uncommanded. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:26 am Thread Starter

Brakes coming on uncommanded.

I was riding home musing on a thread where some were not confident of completing a journey without a breakdown. I thought to myself how I have never suffered anything more than a punctured tyre.
Stupid really as the next minute the bike started to lose power and I struggled to keep it moving. When I backed off the throttle I realised that the brakes were on even though I hadn't touched them. I came to a rapid halt and sat there wondering what had happened! I flexed the brake controls with no difference then turned off the engine and restarted it where the brakes seemed to have released.
I replaced the rear pads a couple of months ago with branded parts and have had no problems until now so don't believe that to be relevant.

Any suggestions? Caliper seems firmly attached etc.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:42 am

Re: Brakes coming on uncommanded.

This happened to me when a brake line burst a few years ago. As the fluid dropped to a very low level the brakes automatically came on. When I got off the bike there was no fluid left!!
At the time I didn't know the reason why but later, after installing new brake lines and while bleeding the system it happened when the fluid level went low again.
If you don't have a low brake fluid level you should check/monitor fluid level switch...........the one at the side under the seat if I remember correctly.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
I was riding home musing on a thread where some were not confident of completing a journey without a breakdown. I thought to myself how I have never suffered anything more than a punctured tyre.
Stupid really as the next minute the bike started to lose power and I struggled to keep it moving. When I backed off the throttle I realised that the brakes were on even though I hadn't touched them. I came to a rapid halt and sat there wondering what had happened! I flexed the brake controls with no difference then turned off the engine and restarted it where the brakes seemed to have released.
I replaced the rear pads a couple of months ago with branded parts and have had no problems until now so don't believe that to be relevant.

Any suggestions? Caliper seems firmly attached etc.
Wow, that is a failure mode I have not heard of before. I can’t imagine what would cause that unless there is some logic error or flaw in the ABS electronics.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That is very unusual in that the way these brakes work it cannot do it with electronics alone, there has to be a pressure input from some where. Even when the servos are running the fluid is flowing in an open circuit until a pressure input is received to push a piston forward to pinch off a ball check in the flow path. The ABS activation solenoids activate to pull that piston off of the ball check to remove the pressure preventing a wheel lock up. There must be some sort of air bubble or something that is applying pressure. See the diagrams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bleed diagram.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	153945   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS overview.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	153947  
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2019, 9:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
That is very unusual in that the way these brakes work it cannot do it with electronics alone, there has to be a pressure input from some where. Even when the servos are running the fluid is flowing in an open circuit until a pressure input is received to push a piston forward to pinch off a ball check in the flow path. The ABS activation solenoids activate to pull that piston off of the ball check to remove the pressure preventing a wheel lock up. There must be some sort of air bubble or something that is applying pressure. See the diagrams.
You are much more familiar with this system than me, but what would happen if the spring under the check valve failed? It seems you would still need some pressure on the control circuit transducer in order to activate the pump. It certainly isn’t obvious what combination of failures could even cause self activation.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #6 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Garage

it happened to me when the original rubber brake lines were starting to internally fail before bursting.. when applying the brake, the fluid was not able to return holding on the brakes..
Patric likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:35 am

I had that happen on my old Harley, the rear master cylinder Was gummed up. Rebuilding the MC cleared that up. I suppose that’s unlikely with a servo assist brake unit, but perhaps possible.

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 14th, 2019, 7:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
it happened to me when the original rubber brake lines were starting to internally fail before bursting.. when applying the brake, the fluid was not able to return holding on the brakes..
Except this isn’t what the OP described. He said he had not touched the brakes prior to them coming on. Your situation is not all that uncommon and is fairly easily explained. His situation is a real head scratcher.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 16 Old Aug 14th, 2019, 10:26 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

These are the items in the pressure chain and the movement of the chain is only 1 mm so I can understand how something could gum up the works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Input -output1.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	153951   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5950.JPG
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	153953  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2019, 2:28 am Thread Starter

It happened again last night. I had used the brakes about a mile before the rear brake decided to deploy. Touched the rear rotor and it was hot enough to fry an egg. No amount of pumping the brake controls helped, only cycling the ignition sorted it. If I get chance, I will do a code read over the next couple of days, although I think I did it after it happened the first time, with an "all clear" result.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2019, 6:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
It happened again last night. I had used the brakes about a mile before the rear brake decided to deploy. Touched the rear rotor and it was hot enough to fry an egg. No amount of pumping the brake controls helped, only cycling the ignition sorted it. If I get chance, I will do a code read over the next couple of days, although I think I did it after it happened the first time, with an "all clear" result.
I had something similar happen to me on a vehicle I owned quite a few years back. One of the caliper pistons had stuck slightly causing the pads to contact the rotor tighter than normal which created extra heat. This apparently caused the parts to expand more causing them to become tighter with the subsequent expansion from heat. The caliper has smoking like a freight train and you could fry an egg as you said. Those brake pads were locked solid onto the rotor until it cooled down…..

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiss9 View Post
I had something similar happen to me on a vehicle I owned quite a few years back. One of the caliper pistons had stuck slightly causing the pads to contact the rotor tighter than normal which created extra heat. This apparently caused the parts to expand more causing them to become tighter with the subsequent expansion from heat. The caliper has smoking like a freight train and you could fry an egg as you said. Those brake pads were locked solid onto the rotor until it cooled down…..
Me too - on my F150 rears. Changed all the lines looking for the “collapsed” hose. Nope, it was one or both calipers that would overheat and lock the wheels. Let it sit overnight and then it would drive fine (until it overheated again).

Had a friend’s GW front overheat and lock on the interstate. We cracked the nipple to release the pressure. I thought it was from water boiling in the fluid.

Reading back through the thread, I’m not seeing anything about the last bleed or bleeding to eliminate the fluid as the cause.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2019, 1:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The "brain" will hold all fault messages until you clear them out. Also I had an issue with "loaded" calipers for a Dodge Caravan. These were re-manufactured with pads installed. They kept dragging so I took them back to the parts house and got new calipers and new pads.

Hope you can get this sorted out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #14 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
Had the same issue - riding and didn't notice that the rear brake was on (the WHINING ABS Pump and Battery light should have clued me in... ).... Anyway - got it home and it was so hot that the brake fluid was boiling/expanding out the overflow lines.

Parked (this was late last year) and now finally getting around to installing SS lines. I take it the old girl (2002) had enough of the ORIGINAL rubber lines and decided to end it all...

Yeah yeah I know - should have been replaced long ago...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Have you checked to make sure that either your front or rear brake levers aren't adjusted to the point where they are exerting a constant but slight pressure. A friend of mine put his BMW in for a service and the mechanic made some adjustments and on his ride back home his back brake locked up solid. He called his son who is also a motorcycle mechanic and by the time he got there the brakes had released. He checked the adjustment at the front brake lever and it was adjusted too close causing a constant slight pressure at the brake. After a while of course this causes heat that makes the brakes come on harder. This also probably wouldn't show up as a fault because the computer would think you were just using the brakes as normal.
post #16 of 16 Old Today, 4:52 am

I had this happen to me after performing a brake fluid change. I believe you have air inside your ABS pump. I wouldn't ride it again until you flush out the ABS controller.

My symptoms were: everything was fine until I put just enough pressure on the brake and then the ABS would run and continue to run until I turned off the bike. Then I could bring it back home with the engine friction as my main source of braking. However, if I put enough pressure on the brakes again, it would trigger the same response and recovery method. Flush the air out of your ABS pump and all should be good.

Ride safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in