3Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2019, 6:05 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Another ride, another broken part

Well, my LT remains true to form and breaks something on almost every ride. Rode 60 miles to get my flight physical today and took the LT as the weather was CAVU. Got back and opened the trunk and the mirror is laying on top of my other stuff. Yep, the chintzy plastic hinges let go after 12 years. Oddly, mine seemed to break differently than most that Iíve read about in the archives (just did a search looking for creative fixes). Most seem to have had the plastic pins on the door break. Mine had the pins pull out the sockets on the lower part of the storage box. The mirror part looks completely intact.

I suspect a bump overcame the magnet and the door swung down so hard that it pulled right through the hinge pin sockets. In looking at solutions, the one I like best thus far is a piano hinge held on by two sided tape. Time to visit Home Despot.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Re: Another ride, another broken part

You bike must have been built during Oktoberfest!
Voyager likes this.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2019, 11:38 pm

I started riding BMW bikes in 1971. Then they had a list of parts to carry in the owners manual for various lengths of travel. I remember the 6 month list. Yes we love our bikes. But, if you have not been on top of preventative maintenance over the years things go down hill. Parts on 15 year old bikes are dust. Motorcycles take much more wear and tear than a automobile. You have to be pro active, and it costs money.
Last week I was talking to my favorite salesman about BMW maintenance. He has been in the business for 25 years and we are personal friends. I was saying the K12 and K13 bikes are the most expensive to maintain. He said no, the K12 Lt is. And, we are talking money to keep it on the road unless you do your own work.
Patric likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2019, 7:25 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I started riding BMW bikes in 1971. Then they had a list of parts to carry in the owners manual for various lengths of travel. I remember the 6 month list. Yes we love our bikes. But, if you have not been on top of preventative maintenance over the years things go down hill. Parts on 15 year old bikes are dust. Motorcycles take much more wear and tear than a automobile. You have to be pro active, and it costs money.
Last week I was talking to my favorite salesman about BMW maintenance. He has been in the business for 25 years and we are personal friends. I was saying the K12 and K13 bikes are the most expensive to maintain. He said no, the K12 Lt is. And, we are talking money to keep it on the road unless you do your own work.
I agree almost completely. There is a difference between Harley and BMW and the Japanese brands. This has been borne out by my personal experience, that of many others and things like the Consumer Reports survey. BMWs are simply more troublesome than the Japanese bikes, even if well maintained. My bike has been well maintained, but that did not stop the transmission seals from leaking all over the clutch, or the pinion seal leaking, or the mirror mounts breaking, or the vanity mirror breaking, etc.

Your salesman friend absolutely correct. The LT is the most expensive bike to maintain. Believe it or not, I have spent almost as much maintaining and repairing my LT as I did my Cessna 182! No kidding.

I would trade it in a heartbeat, but the trouble is that no other bike really matches it is capability for the kind of riding I like most doing ... long distance travel with my wife. Although, I must admit that I am having a hoot riding the local roads on my KLR650. And I never worry about it breaking. Maintaining its chain is a minor nuisance, but other than that, just put gas in and ride it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #5 of 9 Old Aug 7th, 2019, 9:16 am

Did you figure out a fix for the cruise control yet?
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 7th, 2019, 9:40 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGnDAS View Post
Did you figure out a fix for the cruise control yet?
Donít ride at temps below about 50 degrees. It has worked fine since leaving Canada. Something is clearly at least slightly amiss, but no idea what and it has worked flawlessly the last several weeks.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 9 Old Aug 8th, 2019, 9:25 am

That's been my fix as well. Oh and wear two gloves on the right hand cause it's going to get cold.
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 8th, 2019, 9:50 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Donít ride at temps below about 50 degrees.
A while ago I had a van where the passenger window would not go up if the temp was below ~40 degrees F. Park it in a heated garage and it worked fine after warming up. As far as I could figure there was a contact somewhere that was shrinking in the cold and losing the connection. There's a lot of connections to check in the cruise; but I'd suspect a similar situation on this issue.

The fix for the van was to not lower the window when it started to get cold outside.
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 1:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Well, thankfully, the posts on the mirror part had not broken and I just lost a piece out of the lower hinge. The piece was still in the trunk so I cemented it back on with PVC/ABS cement. I was going to reinforce it with some sheet ABS, but decided to try it ďas isĒ and see if it breaks again and then get more aggressive the next time.

Part of the problem is that I forgot to take out the owners manuals after our Alaska trip and without the loaded trunk bag to hold the hinged mirror up, it swung open and broke the hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E022AAB7-0749-4559-9BBC-639C3726E9E6.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	153943  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in