Pre-loading Reaction Link - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:37 pm Thread Starter
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Pre-loading Reaction Link

Reading through tech articles in ADVrider I came across this step in reinstalling the rear drive. " Load 87kg (187lb.) onto free standing motorcycle and torque reaction link bolt to 43Nm. (32ftlb.)
A heavy person sitting on the bike is required for this step. It is important to pre-load the strut, or it won’t operate in the correct flexibility range. "
I makes perfect sense, but I haven't seen it detailed before. When removing the rear drive and undoing this link, the front one remains done up, and has quite a strong resistance to movement, hence the procedure for torquing up the rear.
Anyone here like to comment ?

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Reading through tech articles in ADVrider I came across this step in reinstalling the rear drive. " Load 87kg (187lb.) onto free standing motorcycle and torque reaction link bolt to 43Nm. (32ftlb.)
A heavy person sitting on the bike is required for this step. It is important to pre-load the strut, or it won’t operate in the correct flexibility range. "
I makes perfect sense, but I haven't seen it detailed before. When removing the rear drive and undoing this link, the front one remains done up, and has quite a strong resistance to movement, hence the procedure for torquing up the rear.
I'll comment. . . I'm deeply offended that you refer to a 187# person as "a heavy person," not.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 12:34 am Thread Starter
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile More the Merrier

Tony, point taken. It was the comment as per AVd thread not mine. I did hear once that the OEM Showa shocks are set up for the average 82kg rider. That's wearing all the gear, natch. Cheers

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:05 am

I was just breakin' your chops, but your kind reply is appreciated.

I'm down to 240-ish from 290-ish, headed for 210-ish. Seems odd that they use the weight they do for a "standard" rider. Many of the folks I've seen are built more like me or even more so.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Tony,
How ya do'in it?
Stopped eating?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:56 am

Quote:
We had my FD off, in December, to drill the SC weephole. The reinstall went smoothly and we never pre-loaded the bike to install and torque the reaction link.

The holes line up and you tighten it up. I don't understand the logic for pre-loading the suspension.

Perhaps greater minds will enlighten us!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #7 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Tony,
How ya do'in it?
Stopped eating?
Nope, just eating better. Cheerios or real oatmeal for breakfast, pretty much anything for lunch, and something sensible for dinner, and not after 7pm. Cut out the three or four cokes a day in exchange for two or three a week. Cut our the couple of candy bars a day in exchange for one or two a week. And the big one. . . stop eating when I get to feeling full, no matter how good it is.

It's been over a year, and I find myself making better choices and negotiating with myself over various treats. I would say that the behavioural and perspective changes regarding food is what is carrying me through.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #8 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Hmmm. I never did that on any LT FD, and just re-checked the service manyual. Nothing is mentioned there about pre-loading the bike.

Is this a procedure for the newer R-1200s with the reaction link on top?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 2:05 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I was just breakin' your chops, but your kind reply is appreciated.

I'm down to 240-ish from 290-ish, headed for 210-ish. Seems odd that they use the weight they do for a "standard" rider. Many of the folks I've seen are built more like me or even more so.
Tony, that is because BMW uses European standards where people in general are slimmer (because they walk more, have more vacation time, blah blah blah... ). Note that European are also a bit shorter in general. It would be interesting to see what changes they would make to follow the 80/20 rule after a serious focus group (assuming that respondents are honest with their answers regarding weight and height! ).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 2:50 pm Thread Starter
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile No, you don't eat the rubber groments :-)

Quote ----" We had my FD off, in December, to drill the SC weephole. The reinstall went smoothly and we never pre-loaded the bike to install and torque the reaction link. The holes line up and you tighten it up. I don't understand the logic for pre-loading the suspension." ---- Like wise when reinstalling the link, the bolt hole lines up. You do need a little force, as the "at rest" position is not "spot on" Quote ---" Is this a procedure for the newer R-1200s with the reaction link on top? "--- The procedure was for an 1150 GS so reaction link has similar geometry to the LT. Quote --- " It's been over a year, and I find myself making better choices and negotiating with myself over various treats. I would say that the behavioural and perspective changes regarding food is what is carrying me through." Well done Tony. Life Style.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 3:19 pm

European normal?

Gilles said 'in general are slimmer (because they walk more, have more vacation time, blah blah blah... ). Note that European are also a bit shorter'

So how do I fit in at 195 cms and 21 stone? Though to be honest I need to do a Tony ;-/

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 3:30 pm

6'2" and 249lbs without ATGATT (fat & fit !!) Though to be honest I need to do a Tony ;-/

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in