4Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By 14wntr
  • 1 Post By cbxchris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 30th, 2019, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Stuck Swing Arm Pivots

Did you ever have a bolt so stuck that it made you question your life choices? I have now broken a brand new Snap on Socket, a 1/2 inch adapter and a Break free air hammer end. Oh, and I rounded off the ends of course..... I am open to suggestions or I am going to have to cut the swing arm off and get a used one along with some new pivots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190730_145111073.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	153655  

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 30th, 2019, 4:16 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Stuck Swing Arm Pivots

The socket I sent you didn't work ?. t is the extra thick reinforced 14 mm socket.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Last edited by saddleman; Jul 30th, 2019 at 4:32 pm.
post #3 of 23 Old Jul 30th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Check your e-mail.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 30th, 2019, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Normally it works like a charm... Sadly this one is on tighter than the Hubs of HELL!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #5 of 23 Old Jul 30th, 2019, 8:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr View Post
Did you ever have a bolt so stuck that it made you question your life choices? I have now broken a brand new Snap on Socket, a 1/2 inch adapter and a Break free air hammer end. Oh, and I rounded off the ends of course..... I am open to suggestions or I am going to have to cut the swing arm off and get a used one along with some new pivots
How big of a fire wrench did you use first?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 12:26 am

Garage

What kind of penetrant are you using and how long did you let it soak? Kinda want to know so that I can cross that one off my Amazon Wish List.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #7 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 1:36 am

Kirk have you tried a bit of thermal shock. Heat it right up and quickly quench it. It might just free it up enough.
post #8 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
How big of a fire wrench did you use first?
I have a MAP gas torch. I heated it, cooled the stud and no joy.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #9 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
What kind of penetrant are you using and how long did you let it soak? Kinda want to know so that I can cross that one off my Amazon Wish List.
I gave it a good long soaking with deep creep from Seafoam

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #10 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 9:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have a MAP gas torch. I heated it, cooled the stud and no joy.
That is odd. I have never had heat fail. Somebody must have cranked that thing on with a 4 pipe on a breaker bar.
14wntr likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 12:42 pm

If you have a wire feed welder that you own or can borrow/rent, get a nut that will fit over this mess or almost fit over, still allowing a socket into the hole to fit over said nut. Weld it to the pinion head. The heat will shock things. Do it in in stages so not too much heat goes into the threads. Then remove it. This is the last stage before you cut the mess off option. And don't feel bad, I read a thread where someone was in your spot and destroyed the swing arm threads trying to remove it. Then you start looking on EBay.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #12 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

A video is coming of this mess.. Here is the result.
For the hell of it I put in a vice and was able to get it to move using a large pipe wrench and my 4' cheater. It took everything I had to get that stupid thing off of there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_121327027.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	153661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_123851796.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	153663  

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #13 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 2:35 pm

Garage

Quote:
For the hell of it I put in a vice and was able to get it to move using a large pipe wrench and my 4' cheater. It took everything I had to get that stupid thing off of there.
Had the same issue with mine a while back - but fortunately I was able to get one of them off, then angle the swing-arm down and pull it out. I then had to lash the thing to a palette and use a 4' breaker bar, heat, penetrating oil and and open ended wrench or two (broke my socket) before it let loose. Needless to say it needed replacement as the head was mangled.

Looks like you had a little less luck....

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #14 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 2:45 pm

Garage

I stripped the threads on my 1150GS swingarm trying to remove a near pivot bolt. I was able to source a replacement reasonably affordably and it came with good bearings and bolts too so I wasn't out a lot of cash. I have saved the useless swingarm as a souvenir to remind me to be patient. Playing with those pivot bolts always makes me a bit uneasy. I'm unclear how they get so tight though - it's not like you need lots of torque to install them.
post #15 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Im guessing it was installed by a bonehead using an impact wrench.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Im guessing it was installed by a bonehead using an impact wrench.
That would be my guess too. Wait until you see what it took to get it to move on the video!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #17 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 8:28 pm

Hey, this is going to be like the trip Voyager took.. ...Something to look forward to. I thought I was the ONLY person who got into crap like this. At least its off and parts are cheap.
Voyager likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2019, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Here is the video!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #19 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2019, 9:10 am

Quote:
Sacrilege....

Next time Weld a massive Nut, bolt, whatever may fit and take it that way with the biggest "persuasion bar" that you can find (disconnect the negative battery pole first for sure)

Maybe the "Tech" coat the whole fastener on locktyde, I have seeing it done before
post #20 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2019, 10:11 am

Garage

Wow, in th 50 years I've been working on bikes (pure amature), some of the bikes not new, clean or in good condition, and haven't seen a bolt that stuck that wasn't a rusted mess.

I can't say it would work here but the best solution I've ever seen was a combination of penetrating lube, shock, torque and time. The guy sprayed on the penetrating lube, put a long wench on the bolt, put a heavy stress on the wench and strapped the wrench in place still twisting the bolt. Then he gave the end of the bolt a sharp hit and walked away. He came back and hit it a few times a day. It has been a long time but I think it took a week, maybe a bit more, but the bolt did come free.

Sorry you got into this mess but you now have a great story. If anybody tries to play "I've got a better story than you" you will probably win. If you don't win please forward the other guy's story, I gotta hear that one.

Quote:
Here is the video! https://youtu.be/uqPbuwAFUqM

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

post #21 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2019, 11:55 am

Sometimes destroying things brings a certain satisfaction but not in this case. It is as if they used liquid nitrogen to shrink the pivot pin before tightening. Nice not how to video Kirk.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #22 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've never had them stuck that bad! I've had to use Dave's improved socket on all of the ones I've done (before that I was pretty lucky getting them off). I use a 4 foot cheater on the 24 inch 1/2 inch breaker bar. Just a note for others attempting to do this: do not use an impact wrench! Because the swing arm (also known as the "fork") isn't solidly mounted the impact will not be able to strike without bouncing back. You get the "rattle" but not much torque. What you will get is a well rounded hex on the pivot nut/bolt (bearing carrier). Use of Dave's socket and the cheater and a long steady pull will usually get them to break loose. A steady pull using a new (very high quality) impact socket will usually work, but a normal good quality (Snap-on, Mac, etc) will usually break.

Sorry to see you have to resort to cutting the swing arm off, but you gotta do what you think is best at the time. Good times are ahead! Happy riding!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #23 of 23 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 8:38 pm
JWA

Garage

I had problems removing that nut also. I tried with an extended pipe but to no avail. I was lifting the bike off the stand, but it would not budge.
In desperation I tried my electrical impact tool and surprise, it worked! Literally no sweat!
I did not use the impact to reinstall the nut, but was surprised at how much I had to turn the nut to pick up all the slack. Torqued it proper with a cut-out socket. Rear end was tight as a whistle after all that.

1999 K1200LT HL Basalt Grey/ Fleximum Sidecar
1983 Silverwing 650 leaner/1987 Velorex Sidecar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in