2005 K 1200 lt smokes at start up - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Wazza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 7:19 am Thread Starter

2005 K 1200 lt smokes at start up

I'm about to purchase a 05 K1200 and it smokes on start up if left on side stand. dealer say's thats normal. Is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 7:23 am Thread Starter

2005 K 1200 lt smokes at start up

I'm about to purchase an 05 K1200 It smokes on startup when on side stand. The dealer said thats normal. Is it really?
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 7:28 am

Re: 2005 K 1200 lt smokes at start up

Very normal. My 02 did it most of the time. Leave it on the center stand and it will stop if it bothers you.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLB59 View Post
I'm about to purchase an 05 K1200 It smokes on startup when on side stand. The dealer said thats normal. Is it really?
Absolutely normal and nothing to worry about. Because the cylinders are all on the left side, same as the side stand, you will often get a little oil seep past the rings and into the combustion chamber.
I will usually put something under the foot of the stand if I leave it that way for a while. This lessens the chance of oil getting past the rings but not always. If you are in the habit of keeping the bike on the centre stand it stays fairly smoke free. I actually read about a guy who swapped the side stand on an older K bike to the right side. It never smoked again. It's just a little quirk of the K engines and nothing to worry about.
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 8:17 am

I just had a strange feeling of deja vu
I just had a strange feeling of deja vu
I just had a
DanDiver and Scimitar like this.
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 8:30 am

What he said.
I always leave mine on the center stand.
And lean it to the other side for 20 seconds when I left on the side stand. Otherwise itíll be a little bit of case of neighborhoods fumigated with oil smelling smoke. 25k miles bike. Itís done it since new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 2:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've never noticed my '99 smoke. I believe it's due to my end-of-ride routine. Stop engine by putting side-stand down while in gear and flat footed, pop-up helmet, remove gloves, remove glasses, remove helmet and
place on tank between bars. With all that done I lean the bike onto the side-stand, get off, put helmet and jacket away, come back to the bike and put her on the center-stand. I think it gives the hot oil enough time to
drain into the sump.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
I've never noticed my '99 smoke. I believe it's due to my end-of-ride routine. Stop engine by putting side-stand down while in gear and flat footed, pop-up helmet, remove gloves, remove glasses, remove helmet and
place on tank between bars. With all that done I lean the bike onto the side-stand, get off, put helmet and jacket away, come back to the bike and put her on the center-stand. I think it gives the hot oil enough time to
drain into the sump.

HTH,
Jer
Either that or you just forgot to put the oil back in after the last service.
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Either that or you just forgot to put the oil back in after the last service.

Hahahahahahaha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 9:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
drain into the sump.

HTH,
Jer
If you put it on the center stand each time, then of course it wonít smoke. The issue is leaving it on the side stand.

I have found that if I lean the LT to the right and then turn off the engine and leave it leaned against my right leg for 30 seconds (the time it takes for my Nav V to time out and shut itself off) while I remove gloves and helmet and then place it on the side stand, the smoke at start-up is either non-existent or greatly reduced.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2019, 9:27 pm

Yes, it does.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 6:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Yes, it does.
Not if you put it on the center stand before shutting off the engine. And, of course, assuming level ground. If you use the center stand on ground that tilts to the left, then it will smoke just as though you had used the side stand.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 11:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Not if you put it on the center stand before shutting off the engine. And, of course, assuming level ground. If you use the center stand on ground that tilts to the left, then it will smoke just as though you had used the side stand.
The OP said if left on the side stand. Of course, you can run the oil low enough to not smoke when left on the side stand but I don't recommend that. When I arrive home, I shut the bike down, shift into neutral and start the pushing and moving to get her into her little cubby hole in the garage; usually, the oil settle well and the bike doesn't smoke on start up that I notice.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
The OP said if left on the side stand. Of course, you can run the oil low enough to not smoke when left on the side stand but I don't recommend that. When I arrive home, I shut the bike down, shift into neutral and start the pushing and moving to get her into her little cubby hole in the garage; usually, the oil settle well and the bike doesn't smoke on start up that I notice.
Me too. Arrive home, turn bike around in front of garage, turn off ignition and push bike backwards into back corner of garage. By the time I get it rolled back to my parking spot in the garage, the oil must be drained because it doesn't smoke when I start it at home. Sometime while out and about, I forget to l wait a few moments after turning the key off to let the oil drain away before I place it on the side stand, and then (if it sits for a half hour or so) it will smoke at startup. Just take off quick and nobody will know who left the smoke lingering in the air.!

Current Bike:
2006 BMW K1200LT purchased June 2014, and loving this thing so far!
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsteeper View Post
Me too. Arrive home, turn bike around in front of garage, turn off ignition and push bike backwards into back corner of garage. By the time I get it rolled back to my parking spot in the garage, the oil must be drained because it doesn't smoke when I start it at home. Sometime while out and about, I forget to l wait a few moments after turning the key off to let the oil drain away before I place it on the side stand, and then (if it sits for a half hour or so) it will smoke at startup. Just take off quick and nobody will know who left the smoke lingering in the air.!
Just tell any onlookers that it is the automatic mosquito repellent dispenser.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Just tell any onlookers that it is the automatic mosquito repellent dispenser.
That's good! Little did you know how relevant that statement is here....

Macleans Magazine

London Free Press

MSN 10 worst places in Canada for mosquitoes, No 3

Thankfully they have not been as bad here for several years now.

Current Bike:
2006 BMW K1200LT purchased June 2014, and loving this thing so far!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in