Info on '99 K1200LTC - new member - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

Info on '99 K1200LTC - new member

Hi All:

I am a new member to this forum and hope to be the happy new owner of a 1999, burgandy, K1200LTC w/only 12,300 miles on the clock. Bike appears "like new" and will have 12000 mile service and new tires before leaving the shop. I am happy w/price but want input from others that ride this bike.

I have a custom Harley and a 1984 Goldwing and am 6'1' and 220 lbs. so weight of LT is not an issue. One concern I have is all the "electronics" on the bike; any history of these going "brain dead" w/resulting high replacement or repair costs? Any mechanical problems w/the '99 LTC that I should be aware of?

The only BMW rider I know recommends I stay away from the LT because it is so plush that it will make me soft. Hey, at 58 years of age, I am ready for soft! But what does he know; he rides one of them funny looking R1100GS's!

Any and all feedback will be appreciated as I will making a deposit on the bike by mid-week so help a newbie!

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 7:16 pm

Smile Welcome and CONGRATS!

Hey Bob from southwest Ohio . . . this is Joe for northeast Ohio! First of all, welcome to the forum. You have found the best motorcycle forum on the Internet. Not only for the LT, but for all things motorcycle in general. I owned an LT for 4 years, but now I'm on the semi-new K1200GT.

There is a TON of information about your new bike on this forum. Using the search feature will yield days and/or weeks of reading for you.

Do yourself a favor and watch for tech sessions hosted near you this coming year. You can learn a lot, meet some great people, and save yourself some cash getting things installed and/or maintenance items done.

As for the electronics...forget about it! Yes, things can fail. But there aren't a lot of "typical" issues.

A few things you may want to consider immediately, if not sooner. You need to tether your mirrors ASAP. Installing an HID kit cures the anemic low-beam. Currently there's an $86 group discount deal. I installed one on my GT yesterday, and another on a member's LT today. Checkout my threads in the 'Lighting' subforum. And as for tires on the LT, keep your pressure UP and check them often. Most run 42psi up front, and 48psi in the rear. I actually ran higher than this with very pleasing results. Sounds crazy I know.

Feel free to PM me with ANYthing at all. We're here for ya man. Now buckle up, and enjoy that new bike. You're in for the ride of your life!!!

(Oh...one more thing. You going to the bike show up here in Cleveland at the end of the month?)
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 7:31 pm

Welcome to the group !!

all right, a newbie newbier than I am!

I bought my '99 icon in early december with 17,500 on the clock. It had good tires and the mirrors were already teathered. The first thing I did was remove the "tupperware" to install XM radio on the clutch master cover (still wondering where those 4 screws go) Cee Baileys #2-2 windshield (old one badly scratched from poor cleaning) with wings for the cali winter..

My first trip was 12-23 from LA to Byron, 450 miles there mostly up highway 1 with the first night's stop at Cambria.... the highlight of the first leg was meeting up with a group of three harleys just past lake cachuma on hwy 154 and leaving the stop sign behind them, they all hammered it, they were solo on loud big twins, I was two up with the bags full and I had them in my mirrors in short order... nice. (I had to blow by, I mean pass them... the sound was deafning)

second trip was LA to san diego, as much of the coast as possible entire trip 457 miles.

third trip LA to palm spring by the most round about route I could find on my piece of S*** auto club maps.... 451 miles racked up there.

Over 2,000 miles since I bought it, not a cough. I've read of rear drive bearing failures on this model, and the clutch releases very late but this may be normal for make/model.

I think I want to upgrade the seat cushions, other than that we love riding this thing!

Bruce & Belynda
north los angeles

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 6:53 pm

I suggest you replace any original tire stems with metal stems.

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 7:05 pm

Welcome

Congratulations on the new bike.

I'm located near Rushville, about 1:43 from Leesburg (according to Google Maps). We had 2 Tech Sessions here last summer and will certainly have more this year. Be on the lookout for announcements about those.

There are several LT owners in the Columbus area, too, and probably many others we don't even know about.

You'll find that many people here will bend over backwards to help you out -- online or on site -- with any questions or problems you're having. Look forward to meeting you some time.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 7:41 pm

I got my 99 in 2004 Oct with 15500 miles and now have 32000 miles. I have added a exhaust and Rhinewest chip which I believe is must. Have added an XM, extra lighting, cup holder and euro windshield.

Had a problem with the shaft, which I had to replace. The mirror in the trunk broke, the hinges broke, and with tips from this web site, fixed with piano hinges. The radio display got foggy and again using tips here, have not had problem with the display again. Lost a the rubber peg on the peg and again was help here. Having problems with center stand, rear shock and the alarm does not work. Hey, it is a 8 year motor and I love it.
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:08 am
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and the LT! A few things -

1 - I don't think you have anything to worry about as for electronics. I've had 3 LTs (99, 02, 05) and have never had any serious electrical gremlins on any of them.

2 - As for the LT making you soft, obviously your friends haven't ridden one or tried to keep up with one being ridden by someone with a little skill. There's really nothing like listening to your favorite music while strafing corner at 100+ MPH. I know many LT riders that take great pride in the a mount of center stand, foot pegs, and lower fairing edges they've scraped off while riding the LT on twisties (including me ).

3 - Hey, I own one of them funny lookin' R1100GSs, too. You gotta problem with that??!!??

Welcome to the asylum.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 9:38 am

Yeah your going to have a problem, with the attitude about the weight.
If you don't respect it, it will teach you very fast, just get your leg out before it hits the ground.
Then you can learn to pick it up, don't worry you won't be alone, most have dropped their's at one time or other, I still do, the crash bumpers do a great job.
Rock
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Yeah your going to have a problem, with the attitude about the weight.
If you don't respect it, it will teach you very fast, just get your leg out before it hits the ground.
Then you can learn to pick it up, don't worry you won't be alone, most have dropped their's at one time or other, I still do, the crash bumpers do a great job.
Rock
She can be a Big Nasty Girl when she wants to be. I thought at 6'8" 290 LBs I would have no problem with her (Thought that about other girls too) an 02 LTC.

When I got her promptly dropped her twice in 2 months in parking lots after having her(once at the DMV getting the plates) .
I have way more respect for her now and really pay attention in the slomo maneuvering.

I have not the best MC skills in the world learned wrong 25 years ago and just picked up riding again last summer and took some MSF classes and still need more, But still love the thing and working diligently on the skills.

RESPECT it or she will bite you really quick. I learned the hard way.

Have fun !!!

Hopefully we will meet at a Tech session or ride.

Welcome this board is Great !!!
Tons of helpful friendly folks

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 1:07 pm

Talking Cali Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce60
... Cee Baileys #2-2 windshield (old one badly scratched from poor cleaning) with wings for the cali winter. ... north los angeles
Hmmmm.......

Sorry Bruce, I just couldn't resist .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Smile Welcome

Keep the revs up, it's not a cruiser. She's a happy girl when you push her hard, and you will have a big grin on your face, as you zip along passing every Harley you meet. When you get to the twisty roads you can either sweep through them with the cruisers or tear them up with the Sport Tourers, for such a big girl she can sure fly.

Almost forgot, welcome hope to meet you in person at CCR.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 7:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Bob,
I've lived in OH for 26 years and still went to MSN Maps to find you! You are going to have a blast with the LT.

This site is awesome . . for example, do you know where to put your fuel tank cap when you gas up? Found out just the other day.

How about changing oil without having to replace the crush washer?

Then there's the discussion on synthetic oil! (sorry guys).

And finally where's the boat?

One of the veterans (Messenger 13), also an almost neighbor, did a HID install and posted it on the site over the weekend.

The members are very helpful and I'm looking forward to great fellowship at CCR!

Welcome and ask away. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll get great words of wisdom!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #13 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 7:50 pm

tether the mirrors?

WTF is tethering the mirrors? as far as I know I havent done this please help Im mechanically ignorant

Tom
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 8:45 pm

The mirrors have a bad habit of falling off. Sometimes a nasty bump or pothole is all it takes. Most often it happens if the bike is dropped. You can also bump into them when working around the bike and knock them off.

There are stainless steel cables you can buy to tether them to the fairing or look in the Hall of Wisdom for other methods folks have come up with.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #15 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 2:04 pm

I use the plastic zip ties the teather mine. Seems to work fine, and just replace them every time I take the mirrors off. jrlakin
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 6:12 pm

99 Lt

Welcome, Bob - and thanks for denewberizing me!

This is an awsome site. I joined before actually picking my 99 up (ten days ago) and right off the bat it was so helpful. BTW, I picked mine up just North of Colombus, OH. Is that "SW Ohio"? Two day expedition; a day each way. Trailered it home - after learning how right here. Freaked about the ABS lights flashing, only to learn here, that they go off apres-15mph.
I have loads of Q's but some of them seem so dumb that I just lurk&learn. For example, my LT came (I *think*) without even an owner's manual. Perhaps without a toolkit. I say perhaps, as it may be stashed somewhere that I haven't explored yet. Still searching for simple stuff, i.e.: how to lift the seat position higher, if that's possible. Learned just today, in another post, that "smoke on start-up" is normal, and a few ways to minimize this symptom.

All that to say - I've never had a more gorgeous bike, or seen a more productive, informative and friendly forum group. Knee-deep in snow at the moment, but just drooling for spring.

Cheers
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 6:44 pm

newbe

Hi all,
I too am a newbe, a new LT owner, and recently returning to the wonderful world of 2 wheels. Being a resident of Reno, Nv has it's ups and downs. Right now it pretty much sucks. Can't even get my toys out of the garage because of the snow/ice. But, the day will come. . . We live in an awsome area for touring. Lot of stuff to do and see. Original purchase was a 94 R1100RS with 30k. A real jewel. In Dec. I bought a 03 LTE . . . Well, I guess it's a good thing the weather is too bad to ride. It gives me alot of time to figure out all the gadgets. Trying to get the intercom and helmet speaker thing going now. Saved some $ by going directly through J&M for parts, except for the bike to helmet connection. Trying some things there, but any info or recommendations on that will help. I do have to go through local dealer for the phone hook up though. Guess there's no way around that. Hope all are off to a good year.
Cheers,
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Welcome and you found the right place for all things LT and then some.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in