No sound from K1200LT speakers - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Munmi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 14th, 2019, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

No sound from K1200LT speakers

I hate to start a new thread but I have read a few dozen on the K1200LT radio and none them seemed to be the problem I am having with my '01 K12LT. So, here is the problem: The radio appears to be working except I get no sound from the speakers. The radio powers on, I am able to read the display and change channels and also change inputs i.e. Cassette, CD. I can even see the radio station identifier, for example, the local country station at 99.9 FM calls itself the Big Dawg, and the words Big Dawg will appear on the display. But there is no sound coming from the speakers.

I took apart the coupling/jacks underneath the rear seat and identified which wires go to the rear speakers. I then used the headphone output from a portable radio and an old headphone jack that I had stripped the wires so I could put the headphone jack wires into the correct location on the jacks on the bike. I was able to get the sound from the portable radio to play through the rear speakers. So I know the speakers are working. They are just not getting any input from the radio.

There is a cassette adapter in the cassette player and I cannot get it to eject. I am wondering if that is part of the reason for the lack of sound from the speaker(?). I even used the aux cord from the cassette adapter to plug in to the headphone jack on my iPhone, and still no sound.

I have some of the tupperware off the bike, most of it on the left side. I don't really want to take any more of it off but I guess I will, especially if anybody can give my a good idea as to what might be able to solve this issue.

Has anybody had this issue? Can anybody offer any advice on a possible fix? Can anybody tell me how to eject that cassette adapter?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 14th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Re: No sound from K1200LT speakers

I can't help with the cassette adapter, which may be related, but one item for the 'no-sound' issue might be worth checking. There is a menu button on the radio control head that offers selections in treble, bass, fader, balance, and speaker on or off. Without going to the garage to check for sure, I will say that this button is labeled as a music note.
Voyager likes this.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 18th, 2019, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Re: No sound from K1200LT speakers

Munmi,

I tried navigating through all aspects of every button on the control panel. I tried turning the Loud on and off several times and still I got no sound. Thanks for the suggestion.

I guess I am wondering if what I have described are the symptoms of a blown amp? The reason I didn't think it was related is because it seems that all of the posts indicate that when your amp is blown, the display on the radio will read, "NO RADIO", mine doesn't say that.

Still looking of suggestions....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in