Owner of a new-to-me '05 K1200LT ABS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By dedgar
  • 2 Post By fatbob307
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2019, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Owner of a new-to-me '05 K1200LT ABS

After all the problems I found on the bike after I bought it, and documented in multiple threads, that had not been listed in the dealers ad and the snafu with the transposed digit on the original paperwork that had been sent to the state, they did something unexpected.
It did ease some of the frustration I felt after discovering all the problems I inherited with my purchase.
With the corrected paperwork was a check, from the dealer, to pay for the taxes, registration and license plate.
sailor, Voyager and HOGnDAS like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2019, 1:11 am

That was classy of them.
Voyager and mondrage like this.

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 11:21 am Thread Starter

Re: Owner of a new-to-me '05 K1200LT ABS

Well it took me long enough but everything is back together. I'm hoping to take it out for a short ride this afternoon. That is if the weather cooperates. The forecast is 40% chance of rain and that is in the afternoon.
I did find another item that I need to look at. After installing the aftermarket radio and adding the resistor ladder as described in other posts, the only thing that works is volume up. So I am assuming that there is a problem with the radio controls on the left handlebar.
That will not stop me from riding but just something that needs fixing as I can get to it.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 2:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgar View Post
Well it took me long enough but everything is back together. I'm hoping to take it out for a short ride this afternoon. That is if the weather cooperates. The forecast is 40% chance of rain and that is in the afternoon.
I did find another item that I need to look at. After installing the aftermarket radio and adding the resistor ladder as described in other posts, the only thing that works is volume up. So I am assuming that there is a problem with the radio controls on the left handlebar.
That will not stop me from riding but just something that needs fixing as I can get to it.
The LT doesn’t care about rain. Mine even did quite well in a hail storm coming over the route 16 pass through the Bighorn National forest.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 9:56 am Thread Starter

I don't like riding in the rain even though I do have a rain suit. But the main reason for not riding in the rain right now is the tires are brand new. I want to scrub off some of the release agent that is used when they mold them. That stuff can be quite slippery in the wet. It did rain yesterday so there was no riding done.
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 6:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgar View Post
I don't like riding in the rain even though I do have a rain suit. But the main reason for not riding in the rain right now is the tires are brand new. I want to scrub off some of the release agent that is used when they mold them. That stuff can be quite slippery in the wet. It did rain yesterday so there was no riding done.
Shoulda bought a Harley.

Seriously, with proper gear and decent temps (mainly not too hot), I rather enjoy riding in the rain as long as I am not on an interstate with heavy traffic. It was not bad at all in Canada and Alaska.

The release agent will come off fast in the rain. I always wash my new tires with Dawn and they come clean quickly. I suspect, given all of the environmental regs these day, that these are water soluble. Just take it a little easy at first and within 20-30 miles you should be fine.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 6:43 pm

The LT is amazingly made for just about everything. Maybe a little better skid plate would be needed, maybe. I ride it in the rain, and keep dry as long as I am moving, just tuck into the bike a little. Only a couple of times in the snow but depending on temperatures, doable. In the heat, keep moving and dress appropriately. Wet grass, know where you are going and use smooth control and purposeful controlled moves, also good on dirt roads and gravel roads. You should have seen the faces on the people's faces when I bought fish at a fish farm that required a long ride on gravel. Totally off-road through the rocks and debris: not the LT. My LT can get a little warm sitting in traffic, move the knees 2" out and no problem.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2019, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Went for a nice ride yesterday. Three hours up and three back with a multi-hour stop between. Highs 60's to start and high 80's on the way back.
The bike ran beautifully the whole time and was reporting between 48 and 49 mpg at highway speeds. (10 to 15 above posted since I didn't want to get run over.)
The only area of concern is the bikes seat and mine don't match. The seat is too narrow where I need it the most. I've looked at various websites for the seat builders.
Now for another concern. I've found a K1600GTL that has caught my eye. One that I can easily make the payments on after trading or selling my K12.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in