Brake failure light flashing - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By fredtman
  • 1 Post By alabrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Brake failure light flashing

I have 2002 K1200LT with 42k miles on it. The other day I was searching for an HID headlight problem and pulled all of the fuses, one at a time, in the 3 fuse boxes under the seat. I checked each one and then put it back in the same spot. All checked good. This morning is the first I’ve ridden since then and the brake failure light started flashing along with the red triangle, doing what some others here have called the “wig-wang”. I don’t think it did it right away (or maybe I just didn’t notice as I pulled out of my neighborhood), but for sure within a half mile away. Could this have anything to do with pulling all of the fuses the other day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Re: Brake failure light flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtman View Post
I have 2002 K1200LT with 42k miles on it. The other day I was searching for an HID headlight problem and pulled all of the fuses, one at a time, in the 3 fuse boxes under the seat. I checked each one and then put it back in the same spot. All checked good. This morning is the first I’ve ridden since then and the brake failure light started flashing along with the red triangle, doing what some others here have called the “wig-wang”. I don’t think it did it right away (or maybe I just didn’t notice as I pulled out of my neighborhood), but for sure within a half mile away. Could this have anything to do with pulling all of the fuses the other day?
If indeed it is a 2002, then you have the iABS servo assisted ABS. To troubleshoot these, we need to know the EXACT flashing sequence OF BOTH WARNINGS after an ignition ON cycle.

Do not touch the brakes while you do this:
1) Turn ignition ON, and WAIT at least 6 seconds to let the ABS modulator finish the internal self check.
2) let us know what is the flashing mode of each 2 red warnings: either steady, OFF, slow flash , or fast flash
(slow flash is defined a 1 time per second , fast flash is 4 times per second)

After noting steps above, apply front brake lever for 2 seconds then release: does the flashing sequence from above changes ?
Do the same for rear brake pedal.
Shut ignition OFF to save Battery.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if it does fault only after some riding time, then we still need to know the sequence of both Warnings PLUS the conditions (where you applying brakes when the fault happened...)

The MOST COMMON fault is both warnings having a Slow Alternating pattern (1 time per sec) cause by a "low fluid" condition in the 2 sections reservoir. This DOT4 reservoir is located on right side , behind side case (see attached photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT_IABS_fluid_check_reservoir.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	153391  
beech likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

Sailor - Thanks so much for all the detailed info. But, I have an update since my first post. After I posted that, the bike had sat for about an hour. When I started it and rode away there were no flashing lights. I rode about 5 miles and then parked again for about 10 minutes. Again, no flashing lights on start up and riding. Then I rode for about 10 miles and the lights came on during normal riding, no braking. I stopped, shut the bike off, then started it again right away. No flashing lights. I rode for about 30 more minutes and the lights came on several times. Each time I would stop and restart the bike and the lights went away after startup. It seemed like the time between startup and flashing lights got a little shorter each time.
I know that my rear brake pads are getting thin and I already have a new set that I am planning to put on in another 2K miles or so. So, maybe the thin pads have let the fluid level get too low?
Axle likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2019, 3:21 am

Quote:
Sailor - Thanks so much for all the detailed info. But, I have an update since my first post. After I posted that, the bike had sat for about an hour. When I started it and rode away there were no flashing lights. I rode about 5 miles and then parked again for about 10 minutes. Again, no flashing lights on start up and riding. Then I rode for about 10 miles and the lights came on during normal riding, no braking. I stopped, shut the bike off, then started it again right away. No flashing lights. I rode for about 30 more minutes and the lights came on several times. Each time I would stop and restart the bike and the lights went away after startup. It seemed like the time between startup and flashing lights got a little shorter each time.
I know that my rear brake pads are getting thin and I already have a new set that I am planning to put on in another 2K miles or so. So, maybe the thin pads have let the fluid level get too low?
About a year ago my 2005 was doing exactly what yours is doing. I found that the rear brake reservoir was low and the color of the oil in the front reservoir was as black as cola.
I blead the system and the light went away and have never come back. As soon as I was able I then replaced all the lines with Spieglers and of course blead the system again. I found that the line from the rear reservoir down to the master cylinder at the foot brake had a very slow leak. I now keep a close eye on that line.
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2019, 11:17 am

"So, maybe the thin pads have let the fluid level get too low?"

Yes.
beech likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
"So, maybe the thin pads have let the fluid level get too low?"

Yes.
Grab some Dot 4 and top it up and see. Just don't forget about the level when you replace the pads.
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2019, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Filled up the reservoir yesterday and that took care of the problem; at least the flashing light problem. In the process I discover the rear master cylinder was seeping at the bottom. I’ve read other posts that say there is no repair kit. Is that so?
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2019, 6:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
In the process I discover the rear master cylinder was seeping at the bottom. I’ve read other posts that say there is no repair kit. Is that so?
That is correct BMW does not offer a kit but the new MC is $281. I would at least pop the foot plate off and get a good look at it it may be a hose leaking down there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in