36,000 Mile service - items to replace - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By bruincounselor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 6:05 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question 36,000 Mile service - items to replace

I have an '05 LT getting ready to go in for the 36,000 mile service. I have bought Spiegler brake lines and new fuel line disconnects. I am going to have the fuel lines replaced. Any suggestions on where to buy those or just replace with BMW lines? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 8:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 36,000 Mile service - items to replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGABMWLT View Post
I have an '05 LT getting ready to go in for the 36,000 mile service. I have bought Spiegler brake lines and new fuel line disconnects. I am going to have the fuel lines replaced. Any suggestions on where to buy those or just replace with BMW lines? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Well, I looked at three options when I replaced mine:

1. Buy BMW (big $$$)
2. Use standard straight hose as, I believe, some here have done (when I bent the straight hose I didn’t like how much the diameter reduced and I was worried about future collapse as they aged and the pressure exerted on the fuel rail fittings)
3. Use standard straight hose with 90 and 180 SS elbows.

I chose option 3 and it has worked fine, but it was a pain. I saved probably $80, but I spent at least 3 extra hours of time searching for and order parts and then installing all of the elbows and clamps and redoing things to gain clearanceunder the tank. Given the condition of my lines after 12 years, I probably would not worry about them for at least 15 years. And if I were to do it again, I would pay BMW the $$$ and use stock as the clearances are very tight with the hose clamps in place. I am concerned that one of the clamps will wear into a hose and will need to inspect that at my next major maintenance cycle. The good news is that the setup made it to Alaska and back with no issues and that was my primary objective!
NGABMWLT likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 12th, 2019 at 8:37 am.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 8:33 am

Ive been lurking the LTs again and saw this, and agree w/voyager, the sharp bends, although it will work, are one of those nagging issues (in your brain) while riding along far from home.
On the GT I used store bought hose but just happened to have some older Suzuki brake lines that are wrapped with a SS coil.
I cut 6" lengths and wrapped the 90* bends to keep the hoses from flattening out (as much).
Sorry, no photos available.

I started out with almost nothing and still have most of it left! 2004 K1200GT

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 8:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsig View Post
Ive been lurking the LTs again and saw this, and agree w/voyager, the sharp bends, although it will work, are one of those nagging issues (in your brain) while riding along far from home.
On the GT I used store bought hose but just happened to have some older Suzuki brake lines that are wrapped with a SS coil.
I cut 6" lengths and wrapped the 90* bends to keep the hoses from flattening out (as much).
Sorry, no photos available.
I considered external coils also, but my other concern was stress on the fuel rail fittings. I think the fuel rail is plastic and I wasn’t sure if having a lot of force on them constantly was a good idea.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 9:00 am

Garage

Stainless U-bend. I've done it in several BMW's of this vintage. The kit from MFOF is excellent.

Thread on the topic: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...ernatives.html

I'd check cables too - much easier to replace when the tank is off.
NGABMWLT likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 9:00 am

Oh thanks a lot.. now I can have that nagging thought add I ride fast from home! (I mean far from home)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in