Light mounting point - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 4:40 am Thread Starter

Light mounting point

Hi Team. I have a 2003 K1200lt to replace my 2000 K1200LT that was reversed into. I have s pair of Darla D4 driving lights and they are fitted on my old bike in the top of the mirrors which I’m not happy with.

Has anyone else managed to mount these lights in a better position? Darla don’t make any mounts for the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 10:01 am

Re: Light mounting point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Sweeny View Post
Hi Team. I have a 2003 K1200lt to replace my 2000 K1200LT that was reversed into. I have s pair of Darla D4 driving lights and they are fitted on my old bike in the top of the mirrors which Iím not happy with.

Has anyone else managed to mount these lights in a better position? Darla donít make any mounts for the bike.
Clearwater does make a mount that goes underneath the mirrors. I've never seen how Darla's mount but I have Erika's under my mirrors so I'm sure that would also work for you. I believe Piaa also makes a mount that attaches to the inside of the fairing under the hi-beam

-Kevin
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 10:21 am

I have DRLs mounted below my mirrors and it's become obvious to me that they wash out the front turn signals. People just can't see the signals when I approach a turn. If that's a concern to you go lower.

I'm looking for a module that will kill the DRLs when I activate the signals.... no luck yet.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE90115B View Post
I have DRLs mounted below my mirrors and it's become obvious to me that they wash out the front turn signals. People just can't see the signals when I approach a turn. If that's a concern to you go lower.

I'm looking for a module that will kill the DRLs when I activate the signals.... no luck yet.
There are various ways it can be achieved, none of them complicated. Simplest of all is to wire the DRL through normally closed relay contacts and then feed the relay coil from the indicator lamp.
When the indicator lights, the DRL will go out and Vicky Verky (who is she anyway? )

Option two if you don't like the inverse flashing DRL is to use a monostable timer before the relay. That will hold it off until the last flash if you set the delay time just right.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I have my Darla lights mounted on Motolight mounts on my brake calipers. They are lower than some like, but I find they work fine. I rarely ride at night, but when I do, these work amazingly. I'm more concerned for people seeing ME. I have had them for about 3 years, no issues at all. I am just waiting for Krista/Erica mix of lights from Clearwater to mount on my 2010 RT, and will put them on the crash bars-again, not as high as 'under' the mirrors. I run a yellow lens on one side during the day, removed at night.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Scimitar...

Option one has occured to me but I didn't care for the inverse flashing (vicky verky...nice).

Option two is something I'll ponder... although it seems a little messy. But thanks for the input.

I have to believe there is a plug'n play module out there. It's becoming common in the automotive/truck world with the advent of the freaking LED light show going on nowadays.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE90115B View Post
Scimitar...

Option one has occured to me but I didn't care for the inverse flashing (vicky verky...nice).

Option two is something I'll ponder... although it seems a little messy. But thanks for the input.

I have to believe there is a plug'n play module out there. It's becoming common in the automotive/truck world with the advent of the freaking LED light show going on nowadays.
Plenty, they are known as 555 timer ICs simple timer set for say 10 seconds, with the indicator feed resetting it. Even a single transistor, resistor and gurt big capacitor feeding the relay would probably do the trick.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 5:26 pm

What are the dimensions of the Darla, and what is length of mounting stem ?

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 5:31 pm

I think I still have a bracket pair that mounts like in pic..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0F5E403A-9403-4CAC-852D-05DCE1600B4E_1562884259342.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	153369  

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

I don’t have the lights as they’re still on the damaged bike at the repairers. I don’t have the shaft length but the lights are approximately 2”x2”. They’re the spots with the 4 LEDs
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 6:30 pm

If those lights have a short mounting post, 1/4 - 3/4”, my bracket may work for ya.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #12 of 12 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Are they Denali D4’s

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in