2004 K1200LT Front Wheel Installation Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwtwisty
  • 1 Post By GE90115B
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

2004 K1200LT Front Wheel Installation Problems

I am stumped on this. I've owned the 2004 K12 LT since 2006. I've put on 103,000 miles and have removed the front wheel countless times. This time, though, I'm not sure what's going on.

Here are the basics: Bike was running perfectly but I needed a new front tire. I got the tire and took it and the wheel to get it installed by my fellow BMW owner friend who owns a well-established (automobile) repair garage. He's replaced tires for me for years. I got the wheel home and put it on (such fun removing and replacing the calipers on the disk) and realized the wheel would not turn because the brake disk mounting bolt - and disk - were up against the left fork tube. (For this explanation, I'm looking toward the front of the bike.) Even though the wheel and axle and spacers were installed correctly, I thought, and everything looked OK except for the misalignment, I thought I'd remove the wheel and re-do the process.

I did this process more than 6 times, even flipping the wheel around and trying it that way just to satisfy myself that I began correctly. No matter what I did, the wheel was always too far to the left and the disk bolt always ends up on the fork tube. I looked in my Clymers just for the heck of it and it seems I did the installation correctly.

I've enclosed 7 photos:

1 - left side where disk bolt is up against the fork tube
2 - The axle / spacer configuration
3 - Right side of wheel showing spacer and fork tube (disk and bolt are visible toward top Of photo)
4 - Photo from Clymers mania showing axel and spacer configuration
5 - Left side of wheel bearing without cap
6 - Right side of wheel bearing without spacer
7 - Top of installed wheel showing misalignment

If I've done something really obviously stupid you wont hurt my feelings telling me so. Can anyone point out to me what's not working correctly?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1,013.0 KB
ID:	153307   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	153309   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	853.2 KB
ID:	153311   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	153313   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Size:	807.5 KB
ID:	153315  

Name:	06.jpg
Size:	816.4 KB
ID:	153317   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	153319  

It's not whether you screw up, but how you recover that matters.

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Re: 2004 K1200LT Front Wheel Installation Problems

I am not sure I see the bearing cover/spacer on the right side. Where is it? I see it in your photos. #4 bottom left piece.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Yesterday, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Looking at the front of the bike, the wheel rides on the axle between the spacer/collar you see in #2. The wheel bearing cover/collar sits on the left side of the wheel (#5) and the larger collar sits on the axle between the wheel and the right fork (#6)

I think I have the assembly correct but I cant understand why the wheel now rides so far to the left and causes the brake disk and mounting stud to hit the fork

HTH

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6

post #4 of 12 Old Yesterday, 9:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Something looks odd in pictures 3 and 6.

It may be an optical illusion since the picture is axial to the wheel, but it appears to me that the bearing race is flush with the seal surface rather than behind it. Actually, though I have not seen the bearing in my front wheel as I have never had the grease seal out, it almost looks like the bearing was pushed to the left side of the wheel causing the grease seal to be pushed out of the wheel. In looking at the MaxBMW fiche, it is hard to tell the bearing seal from the grease seal on the axle.

Also, in picture 3 I can see all of the wear grooves on the left side spacer from the seal lip and normally the groove on the side towards the seal should be inside the seal and not visible. The left side spacer should go inside the seal lip and it looks in your picture number 6 that there is a metal ring flush with the outside of the hub so that the spacer can not go in the normal 8 mm or so inside the outer axle shaft seal.

Again, pure speculation here as I can’t tell from the perspective in the picture, but it sure looks to me that something moved the left bearing 6-8 mm outward pushing out the grease/dust seal for the axle shaft and leaving the bearing flush with the wheel hub.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Yesterday, 11:41 am
Enjoy The Ride

It looks like the bearing has moved on the left side. I have had to replace three wheels because the bearing had moved enough to wear out the wheel bearing housing. Have you ever noticed a clicking sound when you are turning ?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 12 Old Yesterday, 12:27 pm

I see the issue now. The right side spacer seems to be installed under the left side seal. Note the two separations in the center indicating an additional piece before the bearing. I bet the wheel bearings were removed for the tire install and it was assembled incorrectly. Even covered in sawdust, you can see the space in the seal and only the bearing before the spacer pipe inside. See if you can pry out the outer piece. That goes on the right and not under the seal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spacer.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	153335   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02765.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	653.2 KB
ID:	153337  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 12 Old Yesterday, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I see the issue now. The right side spacer seems to be installed under the left side seal. Note the two separations in the center indicating an additional piece before the bearing. I bet the wheel bearings were removed for the tire install and it was assembled incorrectly. Even covered in sawdust, you can see the space in the seal and only the bearing before the spacer pipe inside. See if you can pry out the outer piece. That goes on the right and not under the seal.
Gordon,

I think you have a very plausible explanation. However, I'm scratching my head for why someone would take the hub apart to change a tire. Maybe it didn't fit their wheel balancer or something. At any rate, something is not right with the bearings.

Bob Johnson
Knoxville TN
2004 K1200LT
1973 R75/5
post #8 of 12 Unread Yesterday, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.K1200LT View Post
Gordon,

I think you have a very plausible explanation. However, I'm scratching my head for why someone would take the hub apart to change a tire. Maybe it didn't fit their wheel balancer or something. At any rate, something is not right with the bearings.
I asked the question of where the right side cover/spacer was in my first post and it took me a little while to find it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 12 Unread Yesterday, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

Well, Gordon put me on the right track. After seeing the two photos I went back to the bike. Sure enough he was correct. The spacer was incorrectly installed and the collar fit exactly in its place. The real kicker is where that spacer came from. In the multiple attempts to install the wheel, somewhere along the line, in putting the axle through the fork tube, I popped out that spacer that originally was mounted on the inside of the right fork tube (photo #5).

So the photos I've included might clear up the problem

1 - spacer installed incorrectly
2 - spacer removed
3 - collar correctly installed after spacer was removed
4 - spacer
5 - inside of right fork tube (minus "the spacer")
6 - spacer reinstalled on inside of right fork tube
7 - axle installed showing right fork tube. No disk against the fork tube!
8 - axle coming through collar and left fork tube
9 - illustration from BMW manual showing fork tube - and no clue about that spacer

So for now, the wheel fits correctly now that all the pieces are where they should be. I just need to remove the wheel one more time to clean/lube everything reinstall the brakes and reinstall the wheel. And go for a ride to complete the TPS reset from my battery change and PIAA light issue.

Thank you all for the help, gentlemen, I think I should be good to go. I've NEVER had that spacer pop out of the fork tube in the 13 years and 103,000 miles I've ridden the bike.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	153351   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	809.6 KB
ID:	153353   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	702.1 KB
ID:	153355   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	975.0 KB
ID:	153357   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	153359  

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1,015.9 KB
ID:	153361   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	153363   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	917.4 KB
ID:	153365   Click image for larger version

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	153367  
kbob12 likes this.

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6
post #10 of 12 Unread Yesterday, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtwisty View Post
Well, Gordon put me on the right track. After seeing the two photos I went back to the bike. Sure enough he was correct. The spacer was incorrectly installed and the collar fit exactly in its place. The real kicker is where that spacer came from. In the multiple attempts to install the wheel, somewhere along the line, in putting the axle through the fork tube, I popped out that spacer that originally was mounted on the inside of the right fork tube (photo #5).

So the photos I've included might clear up the problem

1 - spacer installed incorrectly
2 - spacer removed
3 - collar correctly installed after spacer was removed
4 - spacer
5 - inside of right fork tube (minus "the spacer")
6 - spacer reinstalled on inside of right fork tube
7 - axle installed showing right fork tube. No disk against the fork tube!
8 - axle coming through collar and left fork tube
9 - illustration from BMW manual showing fork tube - and no clue about that spacer

So for now, the wheel fits correctly now that all the pieces are where they should be. I just need to remove the wheel one more time to clean/lube everything reinstall the brakes and reinstall the wheel. And go for a ride to complete the TPS reset from my battery change and PIAA light issue.

Thank you all for the help, gentlemen, I think I should be good to go. I've NEVER had that spacer pop out of the fork tube in the 13 years and 103,000 miles I've ridden the bike.

Rick
Glad you got it assembled properly. Mine is an 01 with the cast sensor ring and I don't think it has that particular spacer. I know the ABS-II and the I-ABS use a different front wheel so this is also something different.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 12 Unread Yesterday, 10:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Mine is an 01 with the cast sensor ring and I don't think it has that particular spacer.
Gordon - It appears the spacer he is showing has separated which is why I didn't recognize it either. Apparently the spacer is two pieces swedged together (see pics)... at least every one I have handled have been. His separated and I asume the outer ring is somehow staying with the wheel. If that's the case it may be rotating with the wheel, not ideal as the inner portion remains stationary with the axle. With the miles on the bike I supposed they have machined a clearance between each other by now.

Also, I've never had one travel with the axle upon removal and reside in the right fork, normaly it just hits the floor once the axle clears. I suppose this case shows, in a number of ways, that anything is possible under certain circumstances.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3831.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	153373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3832.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	153375  
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Last edited by GE90115B; Today at 6:32 am.
post #12 of 12 Unread Yesterday, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE90115B View Post
Gordon - It appears the spacer he is showing has separated which is why I didn't recognize it either. Apparently the spacer is two pieces swedged together (see pics)... at least every one I have handled have been. His separated and I asume the outer ring is somehow staying with the wheel. If that's the case it may be rotating with the wheel, not ideal as the inner portion remains stationary with the axle. With the miles on the bike I supposed they have machined a clearance between each other by now.

Also, I've never had one travel with the axle upon removal and reside in the right fork, normaly it just hits the floor once the axle clears. I suppose this case shows that anything is possible.
That makes perfect sense.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in