Tires - i apologize - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fatbob307
  • 1 Post By Bob.K1200LT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Tires - i apologize

I am shopping for new tires for my 2000 K1200LT and my current tire choice of Avon Storm 3dxm is apparently no longer available.
My understanding is that my bike should be wearing radials with the rear rated @ 79v so this what I want to buy.
I've been shopping online and can't seem to find a tire company that offers a set of tires for my bike anymore - please tell me I've missed something and this isn't true.
I really like the Avon's and this is my second set. I'm ok with another brand or model but prefer not to deviate from what is recommended by BMW and really don't want to mix different brands front/rear if possible.
Could the experts chime in with a recommendation please?
Thanks for your time and I apologize for starting another tire thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Have you looked for Bridgestone BT 20? I believe they have radials for the LT.
NGABMWLT likes this.

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick resonse-I now see the Bridgestones. It shows the 79v rated rear as being a bias tire, is this ok to use with my bike? Would I even notice a difference over the radials?
Should a bias front be used with the bias rear? (Bridgestone offers the 120/70/17 in both radial & bias according to their website)

post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 8:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Tires - i apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoscoops View Post
Thanks for the quick resonse-I now see the Bridgestones. It shows the 79v rated rear as being a bias tire, is this ok to use with my bike? Would I even notice a difference over the radials?
Should a bias front be used with the bias rear? (Bridgestone offers the 120/70/17 in both radial & bias according to their website)
I am not 100% sure on the 99-04 models, but I believe they are fine with either radial or bias ply construction tires. The 05-09 models should use only bias ply tires.

I believe you are fine with either the Bridgestone or Metzeler tires on your model year LT. I would not mix bias and radial tires. This isnt even a good idea on a car. Mixing brands front and rear is almost always fine. I prefer to run the same brand and model tire front and rear, but I have run Metz front and Bridgestone rear tires for several years now as the 880 wears long on the front and the BT020 wears longer on the rear. However, my last two Metz front tires (888, not 880) have failed with bulges due to tread delamination from the casing. I never had issue with either 880 I ran, but two consecutive 888s have failed so I wont be buying any more of those. I will use 880s as long as they are available or use the BT020 and just deal with the faster front tire wear.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:09 am

Re: Tires - i apologize

If you go 'Bias' (which I did), I picked up a set here recently and price is very decent. Bridgestones have always been good for me

https://www.denniskirk.com/bridgesto...pfp542589.prdf
NGABMWLT likes this.

Bob Johnson
Knoxville TN
2004 K1200LT
1973 R75/5
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the valued input - I have ordered a set of bias Bridgestones. I’m with Voyager on this - I prefer my tires to be of the same brand and model. For what it’s worth, I’ll post back on my opinion of these vs the Avons I’ve been using.
May not be of much value considering what little tire options we have left for the LT.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in