2004 K12 LT Autoswitch/PIAA Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

2004 K12 LT Autoswitch/PIAA Problems

Autoswitch AS-5NCY / PIAA Problem

Hi folks, I needed to change the battery in my 2004 K1200-LT (despite following the “kill switch” TPS reset instructions, bike doesn’t idle - but later for that) and afterward I noticed my PIAA 1100s weren’t working. I have the Autoswitch turn signal switch for activation. The orange wire at the handlebars/turn signal cancel switch is still connected.

The problem is when I took off the right-side Tupperware I noticed a dual black wire hanging near the radiator. I traced it back to the Autoswitch module under the seat. FWIW the module has (L-R) Orange, Dual-Black, Black, Purple and Red wires coming off. All except the dual black wire are connected. (I’ve enclosed a photo of the module and the end of the broken black wire)

This may be a dumb question but where does that dual black wire go? The wires coming from the PIAAs are good. I can’t see any damaged black wire under the handlebars. I don’t have the 5N instructions (I only found an older 5NB pdf on the site).

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look? Or have a copy of the 5NC instructions?

Thanks for any tips.

Oh, and as for the TPS, If I start the bike just pressing the ignition it’ll idle at apps 750 RPM. If I roll on the throttle and increase the RPMs the roll off the throttle, the bike dies. I’m thnking (as some suggested) that I should take the bike for a ride. But that’ll be later ;-) )

Thanks again for any tips on the Autoswitch

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D76C311A-5D33-4E25-B9D1-0D70D63A90D0.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	969.6 KB
ID:	153233  

It's not whether you screw up, but how you recover that matters.

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 2:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: 2004 K12 LT Autoswitch/PIAA Problems

Not sure what the "kill switch" TPS is but normal TPS reset is turn on key but do not start, roll throttle full on then off three times and turn off key. Then start as normal.

Yes the ECU will re-learn the correct settings. I have had limited success with TPS reset actually working and I didn't even do it the last time I had the battery disconnected for the transmission repair. It will smooth out in a few rides, if it does not then look for a vacuum leak.

Not sure where you looked but here is the info for your unit http://www.autoswitch.com/as5ncy.php
Voyager likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Jul 9th, 2019 at 2:33 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for responding. I ultimately got the PIAAs working (slightly loose connection under the seat) but still never found what the double-black wire does. The Autoswitch link didn't really explain it and I haven't found out what it does because it's currently still disconnected and the lights work!

The "Kill Switch" TPS is just a variation of the conventional TPS reset that I found on this list - only you begin with ignition off and kill switch in the on position .

I still need to take the bike out for a ride I guess!

Thanks for the help

Rick

It's not whether you screw up, but how you recover that matters.

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 14th, 2019, 8:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtwisty View Post
Autoswitch AS-5NCY / PIAA Problem

Hi folks, I needed to change the battery in my 2004 K1200-LT (despite following the “kill switch” TPS reset instructions, bike doesn’t idle - but later for that) and afterward I noticed my PIAA 1100s weren’t working. I have the Autoswitch turn signal switch for activation. The orange wire at the handlebars/turn signal cancel switch is still connected.

The problem is when I took off the right-side Tupperware I noticed a dual black wire hanging near the radiator. I traced it back to the Autoswitch module under the seat. FWIW the module has (L-R) Orange, Dual-Black, Black, Purple and Red wires coming off. All except the dual black wire are connected. (I’ve enclosed a photo of the module and the end of the broken black wire)

This may be a dumb question but where does that dual black wire go? The wires coming from the PIAAs are good. I can’t see any damaged black wire under the handlebars. I don’t have the 5N instructions (I only found an older 5NB pdf on the site).

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look? Or have a copy of the 5NC instructions?

Thanks for any tips.

Oh, and as for the TPS, If I start the bike just pressing the ignition it’ll idle at apps 750 RPM. If I roll on the throttle and increase the RPMs the roll off the throttle, the bike dies. I’m thnking (as some suggested) that I should take the bike for a ride. But that’ll be later ;-) )

Thanks again for any tips on the Autoswitch

Rick
I have a 2004. I changed out the battery 3+ years ago. The bike would not idle. Tried the TPS reset. Nothing... Hunting on this forum and spoke to local dealers. Was told that something with some 2004 models, not all. The TPS reset doesn't work. I don't know what BMW did, but there's something with the 2004 model. Well. After several attempts of trying the TPS reset. I grew frustrated, I took it in. And had it taken care of. Can't remember who it was here that had a 04 with TPS reset issues also. I believe it was Dave Selvig??. In past treads you can look it up.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 14th, 2019, 2:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Not sure what the "kill switch" TPS is but normal TPS reset is turn on key but do not start, roll throttle full on then off three times and turn off key. Then start as normal.

Yes the ECU will re-learn the correct settings. I have had limited success with TPS reset actually working and I didn't even do it the last time I had the battery disconnected for the transmission repair. It will smooth out in a few rides, if it does not then look for a vacuum leak.

Not sure where you looked but here is the info for your unit Autoswitch Model AS5NCY
Same experience here. I tried it a few times and never saw a bit of difference. The best way to get back to smooth operation is to ride it.
bmwtwisty likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in