Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
LT broken mirror repair
As I posted earlier in my Alaska thread, the front mount on my left mirror broke during the trip. I finally got time today to start the repair. I did a somewhat similar repair on the right mirror several years ago and it seems to be holding, but I did not take any pictures of that repair as I quit frankly did not expect it to last long.
Here is what I did today. I Dremeled out the broken surfaces to true them up a little and cut a piece of ABS sheet stock to fit. The sheet stock is a little thinner than the piece that broke out, but I plan to add a second layer over the glass so that should help. It looks like I have enough clearance on the bike around the ball mount to tolerate the extra thickness.
I added a piece to roughly replace what broke out. I then added a second piece on the end perpendicular to the first to serve as an additional gusset. It was a bugger to get in place with the ABS cement on it, but a pair of curved forceps helped get it roughly in place. I then lathered the outside well with ABS cement (standard plumber’s cement and primer was used) and pressed one layer of glass cloth into it. I will let that harden for 24 hours and then add another layer of ABS sheet over it to make a sandwich. Hopefully, this will hold as well as the other side has.
2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.