Which torque wrench and lift to buy? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By kbob12
  • 3 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 4 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 7:08 am Thread Starter

Question Which torque wrench and lift to buy?

Finally have some room cleared to be able to work on my LT. I need suggestions on which torque wrench and lift to buy. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 30th, 2019, 8:21 am

Re: Which torque wrench and lift to buy?

I still use my Snap-On click types left over from my aviation days and can recommend them. Less pricey alternative, maybe.....

I have a Handy-Lift which I trust and heartily recommend. Consider adding the extensions which widen the work surface and makes riding the bike up possible.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 9:20 am

Can we ask, what type of work are you planning? or just general maint.?

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935

Old Jun 30th, 2019, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Yes, general maintenance. Going to remove the radio since it doesn’t work.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 9:47 am

I have two Craftsman torque wrenches. I bought them specifically because they both have the same item in them that I prefer.
It is a window with a dial inside that tells you what torque you have adjusted the wrench to numerically. The torque value shows in both foot pounds and Newton meters. The second torque wrench in inch-pounds and the equivalent in Newton meters
I don't have to try and figure out what the Newton meter value is on that external spinning collar on the Snap-On or other wrenches in the same style. I see it numerically in the window under the equivalent ft/lb value.
I do have to include that I bought these before Sears sold the Craftsman line of tools to Lowes. I know Lowes still sells the Craftsman line. I haven't looked to see if the torque wrenches have changed.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgar View Post
I have two Craftsman torque wrenches. I bought them specifically because they both have the same item in them that I prefer.
It is a window with a dial inside that tells you what torque you have adjusted the wrench to numerically. The torque value shows in both foot pounds and Newton meters. The second torque wrench in inch-pounds and the equivalent in Newton meters
I don't have to try and figure out what the Newton meter value is on that external spinning collar on the Snap-On or other wrenches in the same style. I see it numerically in the window under the equivalent ft/lb value.
I do have to include that I bought these before Sears sold the Craftsman line of tools to Lowes. I know Lowes still sells the Craftsman line. I haven't looked to see if the torque wrenches have changed.
To Dedgar's point, I have a Craftsman torque wrench with the external ring. Over time, the numbers have worn off the ring to the point where you can no longer read many of them. I would never purchase another Craftsman torque wrench with the ring on it.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 12:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGABMWLT View Post
Finally have some room cleared to be able to work on my LT. I need suggestions on which torque wrench and lift to buy. Thanks.
I own ten torque wrenches from cheap Harbor Freight, Snap-On, Craftsman, and Precision Instruments, and others. Most work reasonably well. I have tested all of mine against a Snap-On torque calibration tester and they all were spot on. (Even the cheap Harbor Freight brands!)

There are different styles depending on your needs. Click, beam, dial, and electronic torque wrenches available. Typically for a motorcycle you need a range for inch pounds and foot pounds, though almost any good 10-150 lbs/ft. will get you started.

https://bestreviews.com/best-torque-wrenches
Voyager likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 3:53 pm

You will probably need at least two. Final drive jam nuts and pivot pins are tightened to 118 Ft Lbs so you will need one that can do that comfortably. The Pinion shaft nut is 147 Ft Lb and the highest value I know so far on the LT is a ball joint on the forks at 170 Ft Lbs so keep that in mind if you may ever want to do any replacement or disassembly of those parts. The ball joint is not a normal failure but there have been some and most do not pull the pinion when replacing the FD crown bearing unless the seal is leaking. You will also want one to do the smaller torque values as the big wrenches are not accurate or do not go low enough to do a 20 Ft Lb bolt. There are also some very small values like 9 Nm or 80 inch lb. That is 6.6 Ft Lbs so that makes 3 separate wrenches usually to adequately cover the values you are going to run into. I have not been overly impressed with the Harbor Freight wrenches but they would probably get you by if they work.

My wrenches are
1/4 inch drive inch lb wrench 20 to 200 inch lb
3/8 drive 100 - 750 inch lb ( up to 63 Ft Lb )
3/8 drive something to 150 Ft Lb for most service items.
1/2 drive something to 250 Ft Lb ( Bertha )
beech, kbob12 and NGABMWLT like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Jun 30th, 2019 at 4:04 pm.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

Thank you.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You only really need a lift if it is hard for you to get up off the floor because the tool you need is on the other side of the bike. I have a scooty stool that I motor around with now since I have a really hard time getting up off the floor. That is also why I don't camp! But if a lift you must have, a Handy you should get (or at least a good knock off).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Old Jul 1st, 2019, 7:55 am

I have three Craftsman clicker torque wrenches, which have all been accurate and reliable until I loaned the largest one to a “friend”. Apparently he used it as a breaker bar and broke an internal part in the ratchet, and did not bother to tell me what he had done. I identified the part I needed to repair the torque wrench ratchet, and set about trying to buy the repair kit. After at least 20 phone calls, I concluded that the parts were NLA, and Lowes did not support Craftsman tools purchased previously from Sears, contrary to rumors and their claims. I did find a repair kit on eBay, purchased it and swore I would never again loan a tool. If a new torque wrench is required, I recommend Harbor Freight Tools based on YouTube comparison reviews I looked at, and my own accuracy tests.

I have had a Harbor Freight Tools hydraulic motorcycle lift/work table for well over 10 years. It has worked flawlessly and saved me many dollars compared to a few “brand name” lifts I considered. I replaced the included wheel clamp with a much more substantial unit a machinist friend made. That is a worthwhile upgrade I would make to any motorcycle work table. My final advice is always load & unload your MC with an assistant bracing the bike on the other side. It is very easy to lose control of a large MC during the awkward loading process.
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Garage

I have a Tekton, a Husky and a Neiko which have different ranges
The Tekton are guaranteed for life.
I lost one of the screws holding the head of my Tekton wrench. I sent them a picture and they sent me a new one right away,

I have Red Rock lift from Princess Auto in Canada. I think it's also available under different names.
It's a compact lift that can be folded and stored away when not needed. The table ones are basically fixed and use a car space.
It works manually or with a compressor.
It is too narrow to put the bike on the center stand, so I made myself an adapter that I can install when needed.
One other advantage is that you can work closer to the bike.
It has the same foot base as a regular table

The only draw back is that you cannot ride the bike on it and I need someone to help me when I want to load it on it. (Which is also safer) Unloading is easy.
IMHO The forward anchor points could be more forward since this bike should be tied down at the forks and not the handle bars. Although putting the bike on the center stand moves it back and puts the anchor points in a better position.

YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180427_172032.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	153121   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180427_154814.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	153123   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180710_123940 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	153125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Rock Motorcycle lift standing SKU 8708299.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	153127  

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

Last edited by Dann323; Jul 5th, 2019 at 6:31 pm.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 7:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I looked at HF lifts and ended up paying twice as much for a Handy. The HF lift just felt too flimsy for me for a bike the weight of the LT. My handy is rock solid with the LT on it. If I had only bikes that weighed 600 lbs or less, I probably would buy an HF.

I have an old Craftsman 3/8’ drive torque wrench that works pretty well and a 1/2” drive beam style and a 1/2” Proto that is quite nice. The HF wrenches seem fine from an accuracy perspective, but the one’s I have used felt gritty when turning the handle to change settings. My Sears and Proto just feel smooth and of higher quality, but I can’t say they are any better at properly torquing a fastener.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in