cooling fans on with ign. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 2 Post By banditbiker
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 10:33 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Park, Pa., USA
Posts: 81
cooling fans on with ign.

bike has set for awhile had issues put tank back on now when I turn it on the fans come on. did I mess up plugs ? can't find
a color schematic for the wiring.

2003 K1200LTE
banditbiker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 11:17 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Pelham, AL, United States
Posts: 517
Re: cooling fans on with ign.

Could the engine temperature sensor be disconnected. Could be a relay.

Here is what I found when I typed "fans on" into the google search box at the top of the page. Lots of info in here. This one odd as it was only one fan.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...iator-fan.html

_____________

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
alabrew is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 11:47 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,877
Re: cooling fans on with ign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbiker View Post
bike has set for awhile had issues put tank back on now when I turn it on the fans come on. did I mess up plugs ? can't find
a color schematic for the wiring.

2003 K1200LTE
As alabrew said, this is most likely an issue with the engine temp sensor. If you recently dropped the engine down for trans removal without unplugging it, it will stretch and damage the wires. If the sensor is unplugged or has any bad connection, the fans will come on with the ignition. The sensor plug is on the left side under the tupperware and is the bottom one of the 4 plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp senspr plug.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	152921  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 6:42 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Park, Pa., USA
Posts: 81
Re: cooling fans on with ign.

I checked the connections all together, but one was loose reconnected it same problem. I will check the sensor connection tomorrow.
banditbiker is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 8:24 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,877
Re: cooling fans on with ign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbiker View Post
I checked the connections all together, but one was loose reconnected it same problem. I will check the sensor connection tomorrow.
What work have you done recently since this started happening? Here is a link to a thread where Sailor posts some measurements of that sensor when someone else was troubleshooting. Post #6 has his table although it is in Celsius as he is from Canada. You can use the ohm readings in this chart to gauge the health of your sensor.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...er-clutch.html
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 30th, 2019, 8:28 am
Senior Member
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 1,144
Re: cooling fans on with ign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
What work have you done recently since this started happening? Here is a link to a thread where Sailor posts some measurements of that sensor when someone else was troubleshooting. Post #6 has his table although it is in Celsius as he is from Canada. You can use the ohm readings in this chart to gauge the health of your sensor.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...er-clutch.html
GORDON,
In the link you have provided, the temps in the table are already in fahrenheit as described in the text just above (not in celcius). In some other threads in the past, I may have occasionnaly put these in Celcius, but not in the link you provided.

The OP should make sure he makes these test with sensor disconnected , Ignition OFF as explained in the photo album text below.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...zVu6FWt33uK0yb

This will confirm if the problem is on the sensor side of the wiring. Otherwise, his problem would be uncommon - he would have to troubleshoot further on the main harness side - not as easy to explain and I doubt very much that would be his current problem (unless major "bad" work was done on the bike recently).

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
sailor is online now  
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 30th, 2019, 3:25 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,877
Re: cooling fans on with ign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
GORDON,
In the link you have provided, the temps in the table are already in fahrenheit as described in the text just above (not in celcius). In some other threads in the past, I may have occasionnaly put these in Celcius, but not in the link you provided.

The OP should make sure he makes these test with sensor disconnected , Ignition OFF as explained in the photo album text below.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...zVu6FWt33uK0yb

This will confirm if the problem is on the sensor side of the wiring. Otherwise, his problem would be uncommon - he would have to troubleshoot further on the main harness side - not as easy to explain and I doubt very much that would be his current problem (unless major "bad" work was done on the bike recently).
Thanks for the correction. I think I did the conversion once from you posting it in celcius on another thread. I didn't look at it closely or I would have noticed I just knew it was from you so why reinvent the wheel.
sailor likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2019, 10:18 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Park, Pa., USA
Posts: 81
Re: cooling fans on with ign.

finally got time to work on the fan problem. It was a loose connection, no corrosion etc. so hooked it back up , hit start and
running. will take it for a ride later today.
Thanks to all that helped find the problem.
Jim
beech and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
banditbiker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome