• 2 Post By Matco Mark
  • 1 Post By DanDiver
  • 2 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By DanDiver
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 26th, 2019, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Back of the dragon

I have the good fortune of some of my family living in Bluefield very close to Tazwell VA. I am going to take a few days next week to ride up and spend some time with Mon and them and hope for good enough weather to tackle the BOTD while there. My ex brother in law rides and hopefully will be able to guide me on some of the other roads that are of good caliber. Only thing is, he rides a hog so I may have to lead once he gets me there and wait at the cross roads.
DanDiver, zippy_gg and Voyager like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 6:12 am

Re: Back of the dragon

If he knows the roads really well, he may be waiting for you. I've followed some clapped out cars on roads they were familiar with and been challenged to keep up and I am not an inexperienced rider. If he is dragging the ground you may stand a chance.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 10:56 am

You might like this too...
https://southerndozen.com/
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Doug L.
2014 R1200RT. 57,000+

Previous...
2000 Harley Davidson Dyna Convertible. 101K miles (Gone)
1982 Honda V45 Magna. 45K miles (Gone)

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman View Post
If he knows the roads really well, he may be waiting for you. I've followed some clapped out cars on roads they were familiar with and been challenged to keep up and I am not an inexperienced rider. If he is dragging the ground you may stand a chance.
That may be the case and if so, I would not be displeased as I like being challenged within reason. He is currently rebuilding a carburetor that decided to spontaneously start dumping gas out of it last week so I am not sure if I will be riding alone or not yet.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 7:02 am

Back of the Dragon is by far my favorite ride over Tail of the Dragon. You can take it easy and enjoy the scenery. Totd is fun but you are always on edge, can not take your eyes off the road for a second.
We did hit Moonshiners Run out of Totd a couple years ago. Got behind a couple local boys racing cars against each other. Made a 1 hour 20 min run in 55 minutes.
Remember to check out SE Ohio 555 and highway 78 out of Zanesville. The 555 Triple Nickle area has several side runs to hit as does the Back of the Dragon area. Again, BotD to me is more fun and relaxing but still challenging to ride. Be sure to stop at the visitor center for BotD. I believe it is in Tazewell as I recall. Sign in, say hi and grab a tee shirt and some decals.
DanDiver and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I have the good fortune of some of my family living in Bluefield very close to Tazwell VA.
I grew up in Bluefield and did all of my early riding there. East River Mountain was my private 6 mile loop up and down the mountain. It was heaven....
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I grew up in Bluefield and did all of my early riding there. East River Mountain was my private 6 mile loop up and down the mountain. It was heaven....
I have driven that but this is the first time I have had the bike here. It is on my list. I love watching the clouds roll over the top of the mountain.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 13 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Dan, you were lucky. There are some great roads there. BOTD is only one. I had fun riding it a few times and once my friend got a bike running, he dragged me on some good roads. We started up the BOTD and then cut off on 601 and found our way to Saltville. A cool little town that produced salt for the confederacy by pumping brine out of the ground with steam pumps and then evaporating it in large kettles. From there we headed through Allison gap and down 613 where we picked up state road 80 over the mountain. It was pouring rain as we ran that road so although a great road, it wasn't the most enjoyable ride of the day, especially wen it narrowed down to about a lane and a quarter with only white lines on the sides. Still a cool road and would gladly ride it when it is dry. I am not sure where we went from there but it was over some newly resurfaced roads with very fine gravel so we both slowed down as the front tires started to give way in the corners. We ended up back in Tazwell as more storms came in so that was it for the day. I took some gear and a helmet up so I could ride my sisters around and individually took them both up the the East River overlook at Bluefield. They had never been on a bike like that before or taken corners like that either but they did OK with only a few screams. That is such a pretty area and good roads to boot. I will be going back for sure. Much more to do and ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02744.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	828.7 KB
ID:	153253   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02753.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	803.8 KB
ID:	153255   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02758.jpg
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	153257   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02757.jpg
Size:	607.3 KB
ID:	153259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02745.jpg
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	153261  

Name:	DSC02761.jpg
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	153263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02734.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	153265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02741.jpg
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	153267   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02742.jpg
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	153269  
DanDiver and Voyager like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 13 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Took some video of the first few miles of the BOTD. Corners were wet from rain so I wasn't riding it like it can be. Speed is 55 on that road with lower caution speeds in the corners. It is definitely one of my new favorite roads.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xJvGdcxvE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Path of Video and remaining dragon.jpg
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	153271   Click image for larger version

Name:	State Road 80.jpg
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	153273   Click image for larger version

Name:	East River overlook.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	153275  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 13 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 6:22 am

Quote:
Dan, you were lucky. . I will be going back for sure. Much more to do and ride.
I was indeed ! Thanks for sharing your pictures too. I cannot tell you how many times I had some of those mountain roads to myself and some of my local riding buddies. Sorry about the wet roads as that will really put a crimp in your ride.

If you get back, try to ride over to Burkes Garden, near Tazewell. It was a favorite spot.

https://visittazewellcounty.org/burkes-garden-2/

"Known as “Vanderbilt’s First Choice,” “God’s Thumbprint,” and the “Garden Spot of the World,” beautiful Burke’s Garden is Virginia’s highest valley and Virginia’s largest rural historic district. This bowl-shaped valley carved out of the top of a mountain offers the most breathtaking scenery this side of New Zealand, with verdant farmland, abundant wildlife, rare bird watching, peaceful biking, and adventurous hiking on the Appalachian Trail."
Voyager likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I was indeed ! Thanks for sharing your pictures too. I cannot tell you how many times I had some of those mountain roads to myself and some of my local riding buddies. Sorry about the wet roads as that will really put a crimp in your ride.

If you get back, try to ride over to Burkes Garden, near Tazewell. It was a favorite spot.

https://visittazewellcounty.org/burkes-garden-2/

"Known as “Vanderbilt’s First Choice,” “God’s Thumbprint,” and the “Garden Spot of the World,” beautiful Burke’s Garden is Virginia’s highest valley and Virginia’s largest rural historic district. This bowl-shaped valley carved out of the top of a mountain offers the most breathtaking scenery this side of New Zealand, with verdant farmland, abundant wildlife, rare bird watching, peaceful biking, and adventurous hiking on the Appalachian Trail."
Burkes Garden was on the lips of almost every cycle group I ran into and all were headed there on their visit to Tazwell and BOTD. If the weather had been better and my local guide had a working bike on day 1, I am sure I would have made it there as he also mentioned it. It will be top of the list on my next visit.
DanDiver likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 13 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 9:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Took some video of the first few miles of the BOTD. Corners were wet from rain so I wasn't riding it like it can be. Speed is 55 on that road with lower caution speeds in the corners. It is definitely one of my new favorite roads.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xJvGdcxvE
Looks like fun. What camera and mount are you using?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Looks like fun. What camera and mount are you using?
I am using a PIXPRO SP360 on a standard RAM ball mount. Allows me to capture 360 around me and is software manipulated on what direction or view you want to display. Processing is a pain as it is all done in real time and then after you finish selecting what to see, it goes through again in real time to render the movie. After that, I pull it into moviemaker to add text, music and cut out boring parts.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in