Removing painted pin stripes? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lynn_Keen
  • 1 Post By oldmopars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 25th, 2019, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Removing painted pin stripes?

I sold my last LT a couple of years ago and I miss it, so I am in the market for a new LT. I am looking for a 1999-2002 Non-servo bike. I found an 01 that I think would work for me, nice shape, decent price, but it is Purple. I can get over the color, but someone spent a lot of time and money adding flames, blue pinstripe flames. EVERY panel. Every panel has stripes, flames, or ornate lines.
I checked and these are painted, not tape. Any idea how to remove the stripes?
I can see that someone has taken care of the bike, and it has Speigler brake lines, a dash shelf, rack, etc. It is at a dealer right now. The first owner traded it in on a Wing, then it was sold to a guy that had it 6 months, then it was traded in again and sold to a guy from Australia that used it with his brother to ride around the USA, then it was traded in again. So, this dealer has sold it twice. I figure they have made enough money on this thing that they should be flexible on the price.
If I can get rid of the awful flame stripes, I might make an offer on it. Any ideas?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2019, 1:22 am

Re: Removing painted pin stripes?

Considering it is heavily pinstriped it would probably be a bit like tattoo removal. in certain light you will most likely always be able to see that it had tattoos' I mean pin stripes.
Perhaps this is why nobody wants to keep it. The removal probably exceeds the value of the bike.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2019, 6:47 am

It depends on how professionally it has been done. If it is 2K lacquered then only flat and respray will work. However, it may have been done with aerosol cans if you are lucky. Test an inconspicuous area with some thinners / gunwash. (I think you lot refer to it as "reducer" for some reason.) If you use a clean white cloth you will see if any colour transfers. If so, then try it a bit wetter and longer contact. It should eventually wipe off leaving the original finish just needing to be polished. No colour transfer, no way it is going to happen. Remove panels, flat and respray.

Previous username - ajlelectronics

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2019, 9:41 am

If the art work was done using typical pin strip material EASY OFF OVEN cleaner will remove it. Used to be popular for riding couples to have their names painted on the back of the trunk on touring bikes. That was easily removed using oven cleaner without affecting the OEM paint. However, as someone has already mentioned, since the "art work" has been protecting the underlying OEM paint it will not have suffered the ravages of years of exposure to the sun and therefore the area covered by the art will most likely stand out.
saddleman likes this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 5 Old Jun 27th, 2019, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Garage

It looks like I should just pass on this one for now. I have seen others for the same price without the stripes. Not a fan of the purple, and the stripes just take it over the top.
I would not want to get another bike that I do not enjoy, one is enough. I have a Goldwing and hate the thing.
Scimitar likes this.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

2000 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in