A couple more years.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 2 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By gorm5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

A couple more years....

Well, I had my mind made up a few months ago that I was going to get a GTL (maybe a 2013-14) after next riding season. I was also considering an FJR 1300, but have gotten used to being part of the BMW community. Clearly, my LT could read my mind because 2 weeks after getting her recent annual service, the clutch has started slipping. I am extra unhappy about this, because I don't "wrench" hardly at all and having the clutch done will cost about half of what my bike is worth.

Initially, I decided to just sell her for parts (or drive her into a landfill) and just have one bike for a riding season before getting a new bike. Just 2 days ago, everything changed. I saw something I didn't know existed; which was an Ocean Blue Metallic (my current and favorite color of LT) GTL. They started making them in 2016. So, I am now infatuated with this bike and will wait 2 more years before getting a new bike because my wife will kick my @$$ if I spend 15k or more on a second bike. The 2016s will be in that price range or lower by 2021.

Since her days are numbered, I now look at my LT just a little differently. Even though I am extremely upset at her still, I have to acknowledge that she has never stranded me and has provided every single thing that I hoped for when I bought her. Great gas mileage, smooth and stable ride, the hydraulic center stand is a showstopper, looks great, etc. The contrast to my cruiser works perfectly. I also really appreciate being part of this forum, even though a lot of the technical jargon goes straight over my head.

I am riding the Blue Ridge Parkway this week and really wanted to take the LT, but oh well. The good old dependable Valkyrie will have to suffice. Since my LT is serviced annually by the LT guru and I have already replaced the final drive (Thx Saddleman), I am hoping that once this @#$%! clutch is replaced I can have a smooth last couple of years on the LT. She really is a wonderful machine when she is not draining my wallet.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 25th, 2019, 7:43 am

Re: A couple more years....

It is definitely a Love Hate relationship especially if you are not capable of wrenching on the wench.
Patric, Voyager, james216 and 1 others like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 25th, 2019, 8:16 pm

You in Illinois?? Why Don't you get ahold of Kirk Johnson Pres of BMW motorrad club of N Illinois. He does offseason side work. He's definitely done LT clutches
Patric and kbob12 like this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 28th, 2019, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, James. It's actually Kirk that does the work on my bike. Great guy!! I will have her back at his shop some time in the next couple of weeks.
kbob12 likes this.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 30th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
Thanks for the tip, James. It's actually Kirk that does the work on my bike. Great guy!! I will have her back at his shop some time in the next couple of weeks.
Kirk really is a great guy. Your lucky to have him close.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 8:38 am

Mine's been sitting for over 2 years. Tired of throwing money into it.

2006 K1200LT since new
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 6:19 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
Well, I had my mind made up a few months ago that I was going to get a GTL (maybe a 2013-14) after next riding season. I was also considering an FJR 1300, but have gotten used to being part of the BMW community. Clearly, my LT could read my mind because 2 weeks after getting her recent annual service, the clutch has started slipping. I am extra unhappy about this, because I don't "wrench" hardly at all and having the clutch done will cost about half of what my bike is worth.

Initially, I decided to just sell her for parts (or drive her into a landfill) and just have one bike for a riding season before getting a new bike. Just 2 days ago, everything changed. I saw something I didn't know existed; which was an Ocean Blue Metallic (my current and favorite color of LT) GTL. They started making them in 2016. So, I am now infatuated with this bike and will wait 2 more years before getting a new bike because my wife will kick my @$$ if I spend 15k or more on a second bike. The 2016s will be in that price range or lower by 2021.

Since her days are numbered, I now look at my LT just a little differently. Even though I am extremely upset at her still, I have to acknowledge that she has never stranded me and has provided every single thing that I hoped for when I bought her. Great gas mileage, smooth and stable ride, the hydraulic center stand is a showstopper, looks great, etc. The contrast to my cruiser works perfectly. I also really appreciate being part of this forum, even though a lot of the technical jargon goes straight over my head.

I am riding the Blue Ridge Parkway this week and really wanted to take the LT, but oh well. The good old dependable Valkyrie will have to suffice. Since my LT is serviced annually by the LT guru and I have already replaced the final drive (Thx Saddleman), I am hoping that once this @#$%! clutch is replaced I can have a smooth last couple of years on the LT. She really is a wonderful machine when she is not draining my wallet.
Too bad you are so far from me, I am looking for an LT and I have done the clutch on one before. This is the kind of "good deal" I am looking for, a nice bike someone would let go fairly cheap because it needs a clutch or something.
I did find someone selling a 99 or 2000 with a bad clutch, but it was in Chicago, too far for me to go with my truck, and too far to ride on a bad clutch. Oh well, I have time.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

2000 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in