Good Day my fellows...let me introduce myself - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jers99lt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Good Day my fellows...let me introduce myself

Hey there my friends, just wanted to say hello... I've been away from cycling for twenty years raising children... now divorced...i perchanced a beautiful gold 2005 K1200lt to ride instead of my 1986 K75.
I LOVE THE BEAST. but it has several issues... majorly need new skins front and rear, I ordered a set of Dunlop roadsmart 3s but worry about the weight rating (kirk of Illinois riders group had mentioned them on a video.Love that guys videos!) Any suggestions or comments?
Also, radio is not doing anything. And i am looking for a new communication (drive to pillion and other bikes plus nav and radio/music/phone)
I know... THATS A LOT...Well, say what you will...I am grateful for any and all comments.
HAPPY RIDING!!!
Keep the sunnyside up and watch out for the other guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:36 am

Re: Good Day my fellows...let me introduce myself

Hi There,
There is a guy in London England that overhauls our radio for less than half the $900+ Beemer wants for a new one
Had mine done and I am very happy with it now
His name is Baris , his email is, [email protected] and his web page is Carphonics - Car System Repairs and Upgrades
The only down side was it was held up in Customs a few days each way
Hopes that helps
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 1:58 pm

The consensus for this group on tires seems to be Bridgestones front+rear, or Metzler(front) / Bridgestone(rear). I run Bridgestones completely. The LT is pretty limited to bias ply tires only. As for the radio, another resource is Chris who does amplifier upgrades and has a garage page on this forum.
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...ml#post1846322

I've used him before and he's based in Florida, does great work, fast turnaround, very reasonable. Try contacting him with your symptoms. He may be able to help

Bob Johnson
Knoxville TN
2004 K1200LT
1973 R75/5

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 3:01 pm

I have had excellent, friendly service from Baris and no reply from Chris.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 3:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.K1200LT View Post
The consensus for this group on tires seems to be Bridgestones front+rear, or Metzler(front) / Bridgestone(rear). I run Bridgestones completely. The LT is pretty limited to bias ply tires only. As for the radio, another resource is Chris who does amplifier upgrades and has a garage page on this forum.
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...ml#post1846322

I've used him before and he's based in Florida, does great work, fast turnaround, very reasonable. Try contacting him with your symptoms. He may be able to help
Guess I don't fall into the consensus around here. Tried them all. Only use Metz. I'm more into longevity. ~12k front, 10k back. 42/48lbs always.

Have fun,
Jer
Gino likes this.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Hello and welcome from Illinois!

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 8:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretopflyer View Post
Hey there my friends, just wanted to say hello... I've been away from cycling for twenty years raising children... now divorced...i perchanced a beautiful gold 2005 K1200lt to ride instead of my 1986 K75.
I LOVE THE BEAST. but it has several issues... majorly need new skins front and rear, I ordered a set of Dunlop roadsmart 3s but worry about the weight rating (kirk of Illinois riders group had mentioned them on a video.Love that guys videos!) Any suggestions or comments?
Also, radio is not doing anything. And i am looking for a new communication (drive to pillion and other bikes plus nav and radio/music/phone)
I know... THATS A LOT...Well, say what you will...I am grateful for any and all comments.
HAPPY RIDING!!!
Keep the sunnyside up and watch out for the other guy.
Dunlop does not make any tires approved for the LT. Check their web site. I could not find the K1200LT in their supported model list. And the Roadsmart 3 that fits the rear of the LT does not have the load range required and likely is not a reinforced tire either.

The only tires I know of that are approved for the 2005-9 LTs are the Metzeler 880 and 888 and Bridgestone BT020. And I have had two successive front 888 tires delaminates at less than 10,000 miles so I canít recommend them. I have not run an 888 rear as the BT020 costs less than the 880 and lasts longer for me so I havenít felt the need to try the Metz 888.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Garage

Radio? Pitch it. Get a Sena system and never look back. I haven't taken my radio out yet, but only because I'm too lazy. I've run a Sena for six years and have no regrets - it also is always with me, no matter what bike I choose to ride. Bring along a battery pack and remember to charge up at lunch - it will go longer then you will.
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
Hello and welcome from Illinois!
+1. Welcome OP.

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 9:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Dunlop does not make any tires approved for the LT. Check their web site. I could not find the K1200LT in their supported model list. And the Roadsmart 3 that fits the rear of the LT does not have the load range required and likely is not a reinforced tire either.

The only tires I know of that are approved for the 2005-9 LTs are the Metzeler 880 and 888 and Bridgestone BT020. And I have had two successive front 888 tires delaminates at less than 10,000 miles so I canít recommend them. I have not run an 888 rear as the BT020 costs less than the 880 and lasts longer for me so I havenít felt the need to try the Metz 888.
For me, it depends on the roads you ride on. Bought a new pair of 888's last week in Bentonville, AR. Did ~2k and looked like it. The roads are coarse in AR. I ride around IL/WI, much better wear.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #11 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruincounselor View Post
Radio? Pitch it. Get a Sena system and never look back. I haven't taken my radio out yet, but only because I'm too lazy. I've run a Sena for six years and have no regrets - it also is always with me, no matter what bike I choose to ride. Bring along a battery pack and remember to charge up at lunch - it will go longer then you will.
After putting up wired to an autocom for 19 years, I made the switch to Sena. Wife is happy with wireless intercom and connection to bike's AM/FM, Cassette and CD and IPOD through a Sena SM10. I disconnected the front speakers and the rears can be toggled on and off.

I have run mainly Bridgestones all these years.

John Maki
Cederedge, Co

'00 K1200Lt
Unigo Trailer
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsjohn View Post
After putting up wired to an autocom for 19 years, I made the switch to Sena. Wife is happy with wireless intercom and connection to bike's AM/FM, Cassette and CD and IPOD through a Sena SM10. I disconnected the front speakers and the rears can be toggled on and off.

I have run mainly Bridgestones all these years.
Did you connect the SM10 using the Sena BMW DIN cable? If I didnít have a CB, that looks like a good solution, but I am sure it would not allow use of the CB as I need need the mic back to the CB.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in