New weight lifter. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2019, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy New weight lifter.

Good Friday to all. My name is Mike. I live in N.W. Pa., and trailered home a 2001 K1200LT yesterday with 8061 miles on the clock. I bought it with a dead battery in a "will not run" condition. As a former Mercedes Benz tech and also a licensed aircraft mechanic, I thought with the proper schooling and advice plus some money, I could make this into a Sunday afternoon cruiser that my wife would feel secure on. So after removing the battery to see if I could resurrect it, I hooked up my Troybilt tiller battery to check electrical functions. Everything seems to work. I then managed to get it on its center stand, put the side stand up, put it in neutral, put the kill switch in center and with the clutch pulled in......nothing. Any advise from you seasoned weight lifters? Thanks in advance, Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2019, 2:36 pm

Re: New weight lifter.

Greetings ,..and you've come to the right place. Lot of very experienced LT owners that will help get you going. Usually, after the battery completely dies or has been disconnected, then reconnecting fresh, the alarm goes off, so possibly something with immobilzer. Do you have all the panel lights lit? On center stand, in neutral, the side stand kill switch wouldn't be in play.

Bob Johnson
Knoxville TN
2004 K1200LT
1973 R75/5
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2019, 2:55 pm

Make sure it's not in Reverse. Knob on the left side of the bike above the footpeg.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2019, 3:26 pm

Read through this recent thread of a non-starting bike for the steps to take to solve your issue.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...m-i-crazy.html

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: New weight lifter.

Hello again. Thanks to all who replied to my post last week! I followed the link sent by Alabrew and she started right up! I need to sort out the windscreen as it appears as if someone coated it with some sort of instant headlight renew! Alcohol dissolves it but to do the whole thing would be painstaking. Considering a new one to get the bike on the road faster. So all pride aside, I tipped it twice in my garage trying to reposition it for more working room. At 61 with more than my share of arthritis, I don't know if I could pick it up myself on the street or not without help. That said, it is a 2001 with 8061 miles and should give long term service with a few upgrades. Thanks to all! Mike.
kbob12 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello again. Thanks to all who replied to my post last week! I followed the link sent by Alabrew and she started right up! I need to sort out the windscreen as it appears as if someone coated it with some sort of instant headlight renew! Alcohol dissolves it but to do the whole thing would be painstaking. Considering a new one to get the bike on the road faster. So all pride aside, I tipped it twice in my garage trying to reposition it for more working room. At 61 with more than my share of arthritis, I don't know if I could pick it up myself on the street or not without help. That said, it is a 2001 with 8061 miles and should give long term service with a few upgrades. Thanks to all! Mike.
At nearly 60 myself, I donít try to move the LT by walking beside it as I do with almost all other motorcycles. I only move it while astride it. If you are walking beside it and it gets more than a couple of degrees tilted away from you, it is very unlikely that you will keep it upright.
kbob12 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Donít ever push her around your garage without having the side stand deployed! When in doubt I pull her to me onto the side stand.
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2019, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

I am learning that i must be on the saddle while moving around the garage. I am alone a lot since I am retired and my wife has a few more years to go. So instead of re-injuring my back I put a nylon sling on the left side lift handle and lifted it with my cherry picker. Was a little unsure if the single lift point was stout enough, but it did the job.
kbob12 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 12:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am learning that i must be on the saddle while moving around the garage. I am alone a lot since I am retired and my wife has a few more years to go. So instead of re-injuring my back I put a nylon sling on the left side lift handle and lifted it with my cherry picker. Was a little unsure if the single lift point was stout enough, but it did the job.
I am 63 years old, and I weigh 135 lbs., am 5'8" and I paddle around sitting on the bike because it is scary trying to push that much weight around! Occasionally, I will move the bike around, but mostly I will sit on the saddle when I move it around.. I am surprised I can put the beast on the center stand after each ride... when I can't I will buy a new, lighter motorcycle.
I love my 2000 KLT!
You will, too!
Cheers!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2019, 3:09 am

I too am 60 this year but I consider myself fit and strong for my age. I still do a physical job for a living. However I have never moved the LT while standing beside it. I always sit on it and in most cases move it under it's own power. Even though it s an 05 it didn't come with the electric centre stand, previous owner removed it when it failed. I am surprised at how easy it is to put up on the centre stand for it's weight. Seems to be a lot of us here in this age bracket.
kbob12 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in