Luggage problem and arm rest question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:18 am Thread Starter

Luggage problem and arm rest question

The left side case lock does not turn nor does it push in to release the latching handle. I had to use a mallet and a socket the same size as the lock to push it in.
I know I need to remove the screws in the plates to be able to remove the part where the lock resides. Therein lays my problem.
The screw that holds the strap has the phillips screwdriver cut stripped out. So the case has to come off.
I will just have to drill the head off the screw. Then I hope I can hand drill straight enough to remove the threaded portion when I get to it.
Now, about the arm rest question. The arm rests are the ones that lift up to get out of the way. Not the swing sideways ones.
I am missing the bolts that hold the arms on. Can someone tell me what size/thread/length they are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 18th, 2019, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Re: Luggage problem and arm rest question

All those years I spent at the Boeing Aircraft Company as a body structures mechanic stood me in good stead. I was able to drill just far enough into the countersunk head to pop it off. That left a good portion of the threaded part to get a good grab with some vise grips.
I needed those vise grips to get it out but out it did come. I could see lock-tite had been used and it did indeed lock it tight. I managed not to mangle anything nor did I strip the thread insert out of the plastic skin.
I found that the central locking had extended and was blocking the lock from pushing in to release the latch. I pulled it into the unlocked position and was then able to push the lock in like it should.
I still need to get that lock tumbler out and disassembled to see why it will not turn.
Another something to do while I wait for the HID I ordered to arrive via the very slow boat from China.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 18th, 2019, 6:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are going in further than anyone else has in the side case area. I know the silver handle does come off but there is no breakdown into the internals. Odd that the cylinder would not turn, maybe some one dumped super glue in it? If so a bit of acetone should loosen it up. Good skills are learned working on aircraft especially at sea.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 18th, 2019, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Looking in the Clymer manual it does say to use lock-tite 242 on the screw that holds the strap to the folding side of the case.
Looking in the same Clymer you will not find how to remove the lock tumblers. I had to go to an online maintenance manual to find it.
There is a little hole in the side of the piece the tumbler fits into. The online manual shows just a hole. On my side case there is a slot that you can see the spring around the part the tumbler fits into. On mine the spring was covering up the hole. I had to push on the tumbler like you would to unlatch the handle. A little push showed that hole. You can use a straightened paper clip or an allen wrench that is small enough to fit in that hole. Push in on the paper clip/allen to release the tumbler and use the key to remove it.
My tumbler is fine. What is jammed is the mechanism the tumbler tries to turn.
To get to that I would have to drill out several pop rivets. I have not been able to find anything that shows me what this mechanism looks like or what it operates.
In my younger days I would accept the challenge and tear into it. Now I will most likely get a side case from beemer bone yard and swap the tumblers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumbler.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	152687  
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2019, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

For the heck of it I took the handle apart. I could not find anything that was blocking the lock from turning. I had the brilliant idea of taking the tumbler out of this case and the other side case to compare them.
The pieces that slide with key insertion are different for the two locks. That leaves me with the conclusion that the previous owner replaced the whole left bag or the handle.
I have ordered a rekey set so I can make it the same as the rest of the locks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in