GPS / Comm System Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 11th, 2019, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Question GPS / Comm System Problems

Well boys and girls its been a while since I have posted anything so I hope all of the old hands with all of there knowledge are still around!

Anyway my 99 is still going strong but on a recent trip my GPS (Street Pilot 2720) started power cycling on and off when riding. Sitting in the garage it seems ok with no problems. At first I thought it was the unit. I have two, One as a backup that has been serviced recently. I installed the backup unit and it does the same thing. My next thought was a bad power lead connection. I cant even find the fuse for this setup but I did make sure all of the battery connections were tight and they are.

I dont have the room or setup to tear the bike apart and I talked to my mechs of +/- 19 years and they thought it might be the bike comm system (BCS-2 I think). I cant get the bike into the shop until the June 26th.

I know alot of people have moved on regarding this stuff. I would prefer a wired system using the stock helmet plugs over Bluetooth.

Everything seems to work except for the power cycling of the GPS though. Any suggestions on a wired setup that would replace the BCS-2? I looked at the Baehr stuff and it seems like a lot of money to switch out.

I will post a picture of my setup in which I can use my GPS, Cell phone for calls and music, Ipod Nano, CB / GMRS, Cassette adapter for music if need be.

If someone has a good setup please send a couple of pics and specs my way! :-)

Thanks Steve A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 1.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	152449  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 12th, 2019, 7:07 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: GPS / Comm System Problems

It is tough when a comfortable system goes south, I have an Autocomm wired system that I bought in 2006 for $600 and it is still working just fine.

I do not believe that the GPS was ever powered by one of the BMW intercom systems but I have no way to verify that as the BMW factory wiring diagrams do not show the GPS option. The Intercom is powered through the radio so if the radio and intercom are working I would look else where for the power to the GPS.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 12th, 2019, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

Red face Re: GPS / Comm System Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
It is tough when a comfortable system goes south, I have an Autocomm wired system that I bought in 2006 for $600 and it is still working just fine.

I do not believe that the GPS was ever powered by one of the BMW intercom systems but I have no way to verify that as the BMW factory wiring diagrams do not show the GPS option. The Intercom is powered through the radio so if the radio and intercom are working I would look else where for the power to the GPS.

Jzeier:

Well the radio seems to be working fine. I tested the XM out today and it worked well.
I still think its a power lead problem so just in case I found a working Comm system on Ebay for $35 from a 2002 bike. They said it was in good working order but just in case my system is at fault I couldn't pass up on the price.

I check every fuse under the seat and couldnt find the one that powers the GPS. I guess I will have to wait until the mechs get involved LOL

Regards Steve A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in