New to the K1200LT Community - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By rspyder
  • 2 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

Cool New to the K1200LT Community

Hey guys, I've really enjoyed reading this forum over the past six months or so, and I absolutely love my 1999 K1200LT...I've had several other bikes, most recently a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500, which gave me an amazing ride on the Tail of the Dragon with some buddies last summer... However, I've always wanted a BMW sport/cruiser, with a little nicer set up for my lovely passenger. During my brief time with this BMW, I have noticed several of the same things my fellow BMW riders have experienced, like the heaviness of this beast at slow speeds and the need to ride her at higher RPMs than cruisers. My bike is VERY young for a 30 year old machine, with only 16,500 original miles.... I bought her last fall with only 13,000 showing, and haven't been on any long journeys as of yet. So my main issue is that I hear some rattling inside the exhaust, especially at startup, and it REALLY smokes a stinky blast of smoke.... I don't ever store her on the side stand, especially after reading about the problems with oil seeping into the left side of the engine. And to beat all, my local servicing dealership has stopped working on vintage bikes! So my go to mechanics are of no help now! Any great ideas? I'm in Madison, AL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 12:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New to the K1200LT Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper31 View Post
Hey guys, I've really enjoyed reading this forum over the past six months or so, and I absolutely love my 1999 K1200LT...I've had several other bikes, most recently a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500, which gave me an amazing ride on the Tail of the Dragon with some buddies last summer... However, I've always wanted a BMW sport/cruiser, with a little nicer set up for my lovely passenger. During my brief time with this BMW, I have noticed several of the same things my fellow BMW riders have experienced, like the heaviness of this beast at slow speeds and the need to ride her at higher RPMs than cruisers. My bike is VERY young for a 30 year old machine, with only 16,500 original miles.... I bought her last fall with only 13,000 showing, and haven't been on any long journeys as of yet. So my main issue is that I hear some rattling inside the exhaust, especially at startup, and it REALLY smokes a stinky blast of smoke.... I don't ever store her on the side stand, especially after reading about the problems with oil seeping into the left side of the engine. And to beat all, my local servicing dealership has stopped working on vintage bikes! So my go to mechanics are of no help now! Any great ideas? I'm in Madison, AL.
There are no 30 year old LTs. Age is as big an issue as mileage, especially with things like brake hoses, fuel lines, radiator hoses and wire insulation. The best ideas I can offer are to keep reading here and buy a service manual so you can do your own work.

My dealer, where I bought the bike new, got mad because I did most of my own CB radio installation (at the suggestion of the parts manager), but asked them to remove the power pin from one of the radio connectors since it was an odd size. I didnít expect a freebie and had to drive 2 hours each way to get it done. When I called the service manager to make the appointment and explained what I wanted, he got all pissy and said if I wanted to do my own work I should buy the same special tools he had to buy and do all of my own work. So, I did exactly that and never went back there. Guess what? That dealer is no longer in business, but I am still doing my own work.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper31 View Post
And to beat all, my local servicing dealership has stopped working on vintage bikes! So my go to mechanics are of no help now! Any great ideas? I'm in Madison, AL.
Because of the way BMW designed the LT, any basic service will take 6-8 hours and cost ~$1k if done by a dealer. My dealer service dept experience first time through was not good and I had to "fix" the problems created by the service dept. They wanted to charge me to fix their own screw up. Needless to say, the dealer never saw my bike again.

Get the service manual and enjoy learning your LT. A 99 that has not been serviced needs all hoses and fluids replaced.
Voyager and kbob12 like this.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 12:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well you are in luck if you want to lean how to maintain the 20 year old girl as I live in Hazel Green. I would be happy to teach you. We need to hook up some time.
Voyager and kbob12 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in