BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   15 amp fuse for horn, brake light, Alarm, locking (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/183205-15-amp-fuse-horn-brake-light-alarm-locking.html)

stevekremer Jun 8th, 2019 2:43 pm

15 amp fuse for horn, brake light, Alarm, locking

I finally got the LT out had a nice ride, but, the horn did not work. Checked whats on that circuit - Horn, brake light, alarm, and locking system. Checked 15A fuse #4 and it was blown. Put in a new one and it blew immediately. Any Ideas where to start? Its a 2005. Thanks

Steve K

bmwcoolk1200 Jun 8th, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: 15 amp fuse for horn, brake light, Alarm, locking

I think that generally indicates an issue with the security system. Disconnect it and then replace the fuse again and see if it blows. If it doesn't blow the fuse, you may have to bypass the alarm to regain horn and some other things.

stevekremer Jun 8th, 2019 4:51 pm

I tried disconnecting the brake lights at the connector in the back. No goo. I thought that was a low chance of success. Where does the alarm disconnect?

Steve

bmwcoolk1200 Jun 8th, 2019 5:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevekremer (Post 1913867)
I tried disconnecting the brake lights at the connector in the back. No goo. I thought that was a low chance of success. Where does the alarm disconnect?

Steve

I don't have one but I think it is located under the pillion seat but may be under the top case.

jzeiler Jun 8th, 2019 6:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)
It is located under the top case.

The internal battery (non-replaceable) in the alarm has gone south. Two options: 1. replace the alarm with a new one ($463). 2. disconnect and by pass the alarm.

A few have had success just cutting the red wire to the alarm while leaving the green (switched power) alone on the three pin connector. Circled in Blue. This will work if the alarm is other wise OK. If the bike will not start after you cut the red wire you may have to bypass.

The traditional bypass it to remove the 12 pin connector (circled in Red) and jumper the pins 3 (black/white/yellow) to pin 11 (black/yellow); this is the starter button signal to the starter relay. Then jumper pin 10 (green/violet, switched power) to both pin 2 (Green, flasher module) and pin 6 (blue/violet, engine electronics relay).

stevekremer Jun 8th, 2019 9:40 pm

John,
If cutting the red wire results in no start, then reconnect red wire and do the jumpering? Or just do jumpering? I will dig into it in the morning.

Steve

stevekremer Jun 8th, 2019 9:42 pm

Also John,

what is the best way to jumper pins?

Steve

stevekremer Jun 9th, 2019 8:14 am

John,

Thanks for all your help. I did a search yesterday and nothing came up. Did a search this morning and you have answered this question many, many, many times. Thanks for your patience and sharing your knowledge. I will get on it shortly.

Steve K

stevekremer Jun 9th, 2019 10:06 am

1 Attachment(s)
Well some headway and a step back.

Jumpered the wires, disconnected power to alarm. Installed fuse, no blow.

Horn and brake lights work, but will not start?

Reconnected alarm power, still no start?

Included picture - I assume the 3 pin on the right is the alarm power, no good either way

Steve

stevekremer Jun 9th, 2019 3:55 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Current status:

Fuse 4 was blown again.

I originally thought if i Jumpered 3 and 11, jumpered 2,6,and 10, that was the bypass. I did verify the 3 and 11 have continuity

1. with jumper in and power disconnected, horn and brakelights work, but no crank
2. reconnected power, blew fuse 4
3. Jumper in place and red wire cut (actually red and white) fuse 4 in and ok. horn and brakelights work, but no crank

My picture looks different than Johns

I am stumped-do I have a new problem?

Steve

jzeiler Jun 10th, 2019 12:17 pm

2 Attachment(s)
No, you are OK but you probably jumpered the wrong side of the connector.

I don't see any jumper on the connector. The circled connector is the one you need to jumper.

If you really want to make it easy just cut the other side off of the alarm and jumper the pins and then plug it into the bike.

Your picture looks different since you still have the alarm installed, mine had it removed.

stevekremer Jun 10th, 2019 4:58 pm

1 Attachment(s)
John,

I was not clear with the picture difference. I was referring to the connectors in each picture.

I did make a jumper as you described and had results mentioned above. See photo.

And cut the red wire as shown. Also in photo.

Have horn and brake lights, no crank.

What am I doing wrong?

Steve

stevekremer Jun 10th, 2019 5:06 pm

2 Attachment(s)
John,

I was not clear with the picture difference. I was referring to the connectors in each picture.

I did make a jumper as you described and had results mentioned above. See photo.

And cut the red wire as shown. Also in photo.

Have horn and brake lights, no crank.

What am I doing wrong?

Steve

jzeiler Jun 10th, 2019 9:11 pm

First off let me apologize as I had this bass - ackwards.

The connector with the pins is the alarm end and the plug with the female part is the bike end. You can either rewire the connector back on OR just go to the pigtails you cut in the upper left corner of your picture and jumper the colors I first told you about. Then your bike will start.

I am really sorry I got this backwards for you I just haven't had to do it is such a long time but when I went out to my bike and got my "special" plug I noticed the error.

stevekremer Jun 10th, 2019 9:56 pm

OK John,

That makes sense. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks

Steve

stevekremer Jun 11th, 2019 4:27 pm

John,

All is well. As soon as I jumper it correctly, it all works. Thanks for your help and your patience!

Steve

Explorer Jul 4th, 2019 3:01 pm

I wound up with this same problem, so this thread was great. However, I cut the connector off and jumpered the pin 3 to pin 11 and then 10, 2 &6. I plugged that in and the fuse blew as soon as the battery bolt touches the terminal. The ground wire of the battery. So I cut the red wire. The fuse stayed good. I have brake lights and horn but the starter does not run. This sounds like what you did but maybe I misunderstood as I was very frustrated by that point. Please help!!

jzeiler Jul 4th, 2019 9:22 pm

2 Attachment(s)
OK Sounds like you did what Steve did and cut the wrong side of the connector. You want to cut off the side with the pins not the side with the sockets. The item circled in red is the connector you want to cut and remove then jumper those pins then plug it into the bike harness. The second picture shows the mistakenly cut bike harness. That is what you want to plug your jumper plug into.

Explorer Jul 5th, 2019 4:43 pm

Cowabunga! Thanks jzeiler That worked. I just spliced the original cut back together. Did the jumpers on the other side and I had brake lights and it turned over. Great!! It didn't start but I had removed the tank to check the relays so I might have missed something there.
Anyway you are great help! Thanks

Explorer Jul 7th, 2019 2:15 pm

Well, this thing will not start now. It turns over great, the brake lights and horn work, but it doesn't even try to start. I checked all the fuel tank connections and they are good. Did I miss something in the splicing/jumpering? Any other ideas.

I thought I would try you guys again before I strained my aching brain. What's left of my sanity is hanging by a thread.

Axle Jul 7th, 2019 5:30 pm

you need to verify you have spark and fuel until you do that it is only a guessing game, so which one doesn't work?