K1200 lt wont start help - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 10:22 am Thread Starter

K1200 lt wont start help

IT all started with a dead battery on my 2006 K1200LT with only 15,000 miles on her. I replaced the battery and she fired up but the horn didn't work.
I had the bike towed in to the closest BMW dealer and had all the service done rear end serviced coolant flush and break flush.
When I went to pick up the bike the Alarm and central locking system was inop and told it was toast. They some how wired around that
and $1000.00 later was out the door.

About 100 miles later she sputtered and quit and will not start.Back to the dealer she went . in the shop for weeks now and they say that
the bike will not talk to the machine that I guess they hook up and don't know what is wrong. I assume that it-must talk through the ABS
system but don't know for sure.

Any ideas guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 2:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: K1200 lt wont start help

It is pretty normal for a dead battery left for a long time to trash the internal alarm battery (non-replaceable). It is very easy to bypass the alarm and I am surprised the dealer did not go straight there to look for a solution as that is what I would suspect.

Now on the other hand if it sputtered to a stop then I would look at an internal hose failure in the fuel tank as that is the most likely cause of sudden death on the LT.

The fact that the dealer is using the ModiTec computer to try and trouble shoot the LT tells me he has no technicians that are trained or familiar with the LT (it has been out of production for over 10 years) and the computer is the last place to look for answers.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in