HID headlight rant - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

HID headlight rant

Whoever it was that installed the HID headlights on my new-to-me K12LT did not do anyone (namely me) any favors.
They also couldn't get other things out of the way behind braces, etc. No, they had to put them in front, in the way. I had to cut 4 different tie wraps to move stuff just to be able to move the dust cover far enough that the bulb would come out of the hole in the reflector. But I still can't get the bulb out. Why you may ask? The wires come out of the dust cover and go straight up and over something up there.
Because of the way the wires run from the low beam it looks like I may have to take off the nose cone just to figure out how they ran the wires and where they located the ballast.
The high beam is easy. Nothing in the way to pull it. The ballast is mounted to the inner plastic piece after you take off the right side tupperware. Of course the high beam works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: HID headlight rant

You should be able to get to it by pulling the windshield and the gray cover under the windshield. (you have to do this anyway to get the front faring off) Note there is a hidden screw behind the dash courtesy light.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 2:40 pm

The HID project is whole bunch easier to work on after the nose piece is removed. I have installed/serviced both ways, but will forever remove nose cone if I need service in the future. If you are taking the nose cone off, while you are in there, I suggest taking the time to upgrade the headlight system's brown (ground) wire. This link leads to that repair technique. https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...-wire-fix.html

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

jzeiler, I'm taking the left side tupperware off anyway as I need access to remove the stingray. I have to do that for latch removal/repair or replace and to replace the radio. I can only hope I won't have to remove the nose cone. But I still might have to if I can't upgrade the ground wire as Munmi suggests through the cover.

Munmi, I will keep that in mind thanks.
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Nose cone has to come off. The previous owner(s) have run a rats nest of wires hither, thither and yon. Some go forward, others aft.
Some look like 2 conductor household wire. Some look like cheap speaker wire.
There are 4 different wires that should be connected to the battery for something or other and are not. There are 2 more not connected but those I know. They are for a battery maintainer.
That household looking wire goes forward on the left hand side behind the mirror, connects to more wires and goes forward again.
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgar View Post
Nose cone has to come off. The previous owner(s) have run a rats nest of wires hither, thither and yon. Some go forward, others aft.
Some look like 2 conductor household wire. Some look like cheap speaker wire.
There are 4 different wires that should be connected to the battery for something or other and are not. There are 2 more not connected but those I know. They are for a battery maintainer.
That household looking wire goes forward on the left hand side behind the mirror, connects to more wires and goes forward again.
One of the things I love about the LT is that if you have the power outlets down near the foot pegs you don't need to add another plug for a battery charger. Just buy the correct plug and attach it to your charger and you just plug the charger into the bikes outlet.
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 8:17 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgar View Post
But I still might have to if I can't upgrade the ground wire as Munmi suggests through the cover.

Munmi, I will keep that in mind thanks.
You have a 2005 the ground wire issue was only on the 99-2004 with the single head light with both low and high beams. You have no brown wire issue that he speaks about.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
You have a 2005 the ground wire issue was only on the 99-2004 with the single head light with both low and high beams. You have no brown wire issue that he speaks about.
Good catch, John. I hadn't seen the 2005 noted.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #9 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I guess someone would cuss me pretty good as well. The plastic clips that hold the spring which hold the bulb broke off on mine. Its not pretty but works. I will have to put a new headlight assembly in if I ever take it off. I used up a months supply of cuss words when it happened........
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

I got the nose cone off and was finally able to get the low beam out. It is HID, and like I said in an earlier post, they didn't do me any favors the way and where they installed things. If the new one that isn't installed yet burns out. The cone has to come off again as I'm not gonna try to rearrange the wiring at this time.
I also found that the house wire went to the accessory shelf and 12V power socket mounted above the dash. I'm not needing that now so the shelf has been removed along with the wiring.
Now I need to follow the other wires to see what is what.
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Now that I have the HID bulb out I find no identifying numbers on it anywhere. So I look at the ballast. It is a Philips and on the label it gives me bulb type D2S/D3S.
The bulb that came out is definitely NOT either one of those. Those two mount in a socket. What came out has pig tails.
I am sure it is going to be easier to replace the whole thing than trying to find just the bulb.
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 2:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They are arc type bulbs and have no filament. They usually do not go bad unless they are shattered. I would look at the ballast as the culprit. I am still running my original cheap HID bulb now for 15 years but I have replaced the ballast. Sample pic for you.

DS2/DS3 refers to the glass part of the bulb, which ALL HID use, the plastic base that it is glued into determines if it is an H7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample hid.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	152323  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 13 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

The parts store I went to had a D2S bulb. It wasn't just the glass and filament. The base was already on it.
I contacted DDM about changing both bulbs and ballasts. What is in there is not matched and I would rather have parts from one supplier so I know where to go if something happens to either.
But it is still good to know they meant only the bulb. Not the bulb and base assembly. I'll try to remember that for future reference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in