Question about forks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Question about forks

I removed the sliders to replace the seals and dust boots. After removing all the components inside the sliders, I cleaned them inside and out. Looking down into the sliders to see how clean they were, I noticed the left slider had a bushing about 16 inches down from the top. The plastic tubes sit on top of this bushing. Running the slider up the fork tube, I could feel the tube contact the bushing and then go through it with a little maneuvering. The right slider had no bushing, but it did have a slight ridge about 16 1/2 inches down from the top on which the plastic tubes sit. Is this normal, the left slider has a lower bushing, but the right one does not. I tried to take pics, but the polished inside of the sliders killed that idea. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken Davis
Mobile, AL
2002 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 6:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Question about forks

While the manual does not address this "bush" there should be one in each fork tube. I had mine apart a while back and decided to replace them as they were not expensive but I measured no wear on the old compared to the new. They should sit on top of the several plastic tube spacers and are a sliding fit in the fork body. I'll see if I can find my write up on when I had mine apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bush.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	152145  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 7:55 am Thread Starter

John,
I'm fine with the upper bushings. I have one of those in each slider and took them out along with the plastic tubes. My situation is that the left slider has what appears to be another bushing about 16" down from the top of the slider. The plastic tubes sit on top of this bushing. The right slider does not have this lower bushing, but it does have a slight ridge inside the slider about 16 1/2" down from the top that the plastic tubes sit on. I assume the left slider also has this ridge and that is what the lower bushing sits on. The result is that the top of the plastic tubes in the left slider leaves just enough room to fit the upper bushing, while the top of the plastic tubes in the right slider is about 1/2" lower than in the left tube. I wonder if the lower bushing just was left out of the right slider at the factory. What worries me is that having only the upper bushing in the right slider would seem to let the fork tube wobble to some degree, whereas having a lower bushing, like the left slider, would prevent this wobbling.
Thanks,
Ken

Ken Davis
Mobile, AL
2002 LT

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I can't remember if there was one lower down, but I do seem to remember rigging something up to pull it up so there must have been one there. I'll have to check and see if I ordered 2 or 4 when I did my forks.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 8th, 2019, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Iíve decided there are two bushings in each slider to guide the fork tube, an upper and a lower bushing. My right slider did not have the lower bushing. Iíll take one of the upper bushings I removed and drive it down in the slider with a length of PVC pipe until it comes to the slight ridge inside the slider about 16 1/2 inches down from the top. That should fix me up. Then I can proceed with replacing the upper bushings, seals, and boots.
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 12:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sorry I never got back to you but I could not find my post or order from Max BMW. But I do seem to remember there were 4.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #7 of 7 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Everything went back together just fine, John, so all is good. Thanks for all the advice you give to us every day.

Ken Davis
Mobile, AL
2002 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in