Luggage problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Luggage problems

In my introduction post I mentioned some issues. My major concern right now is my luggage.
The trunk will open sometimes. Mostly not and right now it is not. I know I'm too late for the FBIB I saw on this site. I wish it was still available. Maybe someone will do it again in the future.
The right side bag lock works and it opens just like it should but not the left one. The lock is frozen. The key slot is vertical just like the one on the right bag which works.
Any helpful suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 9:25 am

Re: Luggage problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgar View Post
In my introduction post I mentioned some issues. My major concern right now is my luggage.
The trunk will open sometimes. Mostly not and right now it is not. I know I'm too late for the FBIB I saw on this site. I wish it was still available. Maybe someone will do it again in the future.
The right side bag lock works and it opens just like it should but not the left one. The lock is frozen. The key slot is vertical just like the one on the right bag which works.
Any helpful suggestions?
A little more detail would help in addressing your issues. Are you not getting any resistance on the trunk or side luggage latch or are they lose to the point of not engaging?

Not sure how long you’ve had the bike or how familiar you are with it but keep in mind that in the unlocked position you still need to depress the lock then pull the latch, if it was locked you would not be able to depress the lock, and the trunk lid should also be pressed down on to relieve any stress on the latch.

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 9:51 am Thread Starter

I have had the bike for 2 days now. I do know about having to push in to release the latch.
The right side bag operates fine. The lock turns easily. A push on it unlatches the lever so you can open the bag.
The left side lock is stuck. I can't turn it at all so I can't push in on it.
The trunk right now it also not operating. I can turn the lock but it doesn't seem to push in as the right side bag lock does to undo the latch.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 1:24 pm

What year is your bike and does it have the central locking system? Also wondering if you got more than one key with the bike that, for some strange reason, needs to be used for the trunk and this one side case. Other than that, I have not heard of this type of issue so perhaps others will chime in.

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone

Last edited by mr1150gs; Jun 3rd, 2019 at 1:35 pm.
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

It is a 2005.
The two keys I have are identical. I have tried both in the lock that works and in the ignition. They both operate in either.
I do not know if it has central locking but I do have a fob. I am not sure it works. I replaced the battery but the led does not light up when I push either button.
I don't think that central locking would be my problem since the one side bag works (lock turns, pushes in, etc.) and the other doesn't. The trunk lock turns but won't push in to open currently no matter which way the lock is turned.
I did spray a bit of PB Blaster (penetrating oil for those that aren't familiar with it) in to lock that doesn't turn to no avail.
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 2:30 pm

I believe you are dealing with having to resort to using a rubber hammer and giving it a good whack. The fob not working does not help but you may be dealing with a stuck locking mechanism that is usually related to only the stingray. The trunk lock is possibly related to the a central locking issue as well as the latch itself is still intact rather than it being broken on one corner.

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in