Just bought a non-running LT. Am I crazy? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 7:32 am Thread Starter

Just bought a non-running LT. Am I crazy?

I am a long time airhead rider, and have rebuilt a few along the way. I have ZERO experience with the LT's. I have acquired a 1999 LT that seems fairly intact, but had the bodywork mostly removed and was told that the bike had issues with the starter--or starting, and the previous owner had let it sit disassembled for awhile. I have no idea what the real situation of the bike is.

I have figured out how to open the disabled saddlebags to get to the battery, but I'm concerned about this "immobilizing" system. I don't know if the problem with the bike is that it was previously immobilized? And I for sure don't want to immobilize it myself.

I'm hoping that someone here can advise me on the next steps I should take to make sure that I don't make the situation worse.

It seems like a pretty solid bike, and I would love to bring it back to service.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Billy Pilgrim; Jun 1st, 2019 at 7:38 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 11:59 am

Re: Just bought a non-running LT. Am I crazy?

Howdy Pilgrim. Welcome to the best place on the planet to help you with your acquisition.

First thing you are going to need is a Clymer manual for reference. Getting to the starter is no small task if that indeed is what the issue is. It could be the starter relay or the immobilizer. That can be disabled with a few jumpers. For the 1999, that would be pins 10 to 6 and 11 to 3 on the alarm controller plug by my notes from John Zeiler. The newer alarm systems require an additional jumper.

Are you crazy? none of us are qualified to make that determination because of our own mental status. There is much to consider on an LT that has been sitting for a long time. Depending on how long ( how long is it), fuel lines inside the tank and maybe a pump, gum and rust from ethanol, fuel injector service or a good cleaning. Be aware that the starter relay can fuse shut if cranking on a low battery so if you hook the batter up and it starts to crank with the key off, that would be the issue. If the brake lines are still original, they need to be replaced pronto as even if they look OK on the outside, they have deteriorated on the inside and are not safe to use any longer. Spiegler makes an after market set as well as Galfer. See recent thread on " Has anybody installed" for a discussion on them. They are both far less than OEM and Spiegler lines are able to twist at the fitting so installation is easier. Still not sure on the Galfer bout that but probably not but they are less expensive. IF it has quick disconnects on the tank fuel lines, if they are still plastic, they will crack and leak. Those need to be replaced fro safety. Fill out your profile a little and let us know where you are as you will likely be here a lot asking questions and we don't mind. There may even be someone near enough to come over and give you a hand.
kbob12 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 2:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Chances are the 99 did not have an alarm or immobilizer, but you can check to see if the original dealer installed an optional unit by looking under the top case for this. If it is there there are instruction on how to disable on the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 K1200LT ALARM BYPASS.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	152069  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 51 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 5:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
I am a long time airhead rider, and have rebuilt a few along the way. I have ZERO experience with the LT's. I have acquired a 1999 LT that seems fairly intact, but had the bodywork mostly removed and was told that the bike had issues with the starter--or starting, and the previous owner had let it sit disassembled for awhile. I have no idea what the real situation of the bike is.

I have figured out how to open the disabled saddlebags to get to the battery, but I'm concerned about this "immobilizing" system. I don't know if the problem with the bike is that it was previously immobilized? And I for sure don't want to immobilize it myself.

I'm hoping that someone here can advise me on the next steps I should take to make sure that I don't make the situation worse.

It seems like a pretty solid bike, and I would love to bring it back to service.

Thank you in advance!
You are nutty as a fruitcake for buying an old LT! Which means you should fit right in here.
radar41 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 51 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Well I opened up the space under the top case, and it does look to me that I may indeed not have the alarm.

(I'd attach a photo but I seem to be too dumb to figure out how--in my defense I did just have a major ischemic stroke three weeks ago, but then again I did have a miraculous spontaneous recovery, so i guess that's not really a good excuse)

I connected battery and the radio, dash lights, fuel pump, etc energized, but no response from starter switch.

Is there an easy way to hotwire the starter that avoids all other circuits, just to see if it cranks?
post #6 of 51 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

I figured it out I think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1199.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	484.8 KB
ID:	152079  
post #7 of 51 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 7:54 pm

Mine lost a kickstand interlock safety wire and did not start one day. Wire somehow melted / shorted to the exhaust. (Ok it was loose).
Clutch /neutral safety and sidestand safety. Easy to check.
post #8 of 51 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 8:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Is there an easy way to hotwire the starter that avoids all other circuits, just to see if it cranks?
Yes you can use a large piece of wire from the battery (+) to the starter tie point behind the battery. It usually has an insulating cap, but a quick bump will let you know if the starter is good. Then we can help you trouble shoot further.

Yours will look a little less crowded but the tie points are the same (the pic is from an 05).

I just looked at your picture and I see a black wire next to the battery (-). BMW does not use Black wires for grounds they use BROWN wires. In fact the output of the starter relay is a big black wire that should be on the starter tie point.

Also the two barrel connectors #1 and #2 in the second diagram are for the reverser controller and the starter signal goes through them. Make sure they are connected as often when people pull the top case the first time they undo them. If they are undone then the bike will not crank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tie Points.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	152097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverser Path.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	152099  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Jun 1st, 2019 at 8:30 pm.
post #9 of 51 Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Well good news, It cranks over. I guess now I guess I need to test the other switches.

Any pointers before I start pulling things apart?

And here are some more detailed shots of the wiring and what I disconnected:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	152103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1206.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	689.4 KB
ID:	152105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	152107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1208.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	882.4 KB
ID:	152109  
post #10 of 51 Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 5:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK if a direct wire on the tie point made the starter turn then we need to figure out where you are loosing the starter signal. Looks like the rest of the connectors are all OK. Next is to check the side stand switch as the bike will not start if the stand is down (or thinks its down) and the "N" is not visible on the dash. Then if the reverse switch is not in "F" it will not start either.
radar41 and kbob12 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 51 Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 9:57 pm

Dear OP: Yes.
Billy Pilgrim likes this.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #12 of 51 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 5:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
OK if a direct wire on the tie point made the starter turn then we need to figure out where you are loosing the starter signal. Looks like the rest of the connectors are all OK. Next is to check the side stand switch as the bike will not start if the stand is down (or thinks its down) and the "N" is not visible on the dash. Then if the reverse switch is not in "F" it will not start either.
The OP (Billy Pilgrim) never mentioned if he see / hear BOTH of these AFTER Ignition ON cycle:
1) Can you hear the 2 seconds fuel pump priming noise ?
To confirm one more time, wait 6 seconds or more following ignition ON - move the Kill switch on handlebar from center to LEFT, then back to Center position - every cycle to center should make the fuel pump prime one more time.

2) after ignition ON, can you see the RED engine temp warning as ON on dash (thermometer shaped).

Unless we clarify these 2 items, we do not know if the problem is starter interlock related OR some other wiring issues. If my memory is correct, the REVERSER switch is the most problematic as it does not disable the engine-temp warning like all other interlocks (side-stand, neutral) - hence this one need separate testing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200RS_Engine-Temp_warning_dash.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	152133  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #13 of 51 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Affirmative on the fuel pump cycling and the engine temp light.

The ABS lights also flash.

Just wondering if there are easy access points to get a meter on the various switches (starter, side stand, clutch).

Also, the reverse switch linkage is missing, so I'm waiting for a replacement from eBay. A few things look to have been lost while the plastics were disassembled, like the radio cover and the other small cover below that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	631.9 KB
ID:	152135  
Attached Images

post #14 of 51 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am

Quote:
Affirmative on the fuel pump cycling and the engine temp light.

The ABS lights also flash.

Just wondering if there are easy access points to get a meter on the various switches (starter, side stand, clutch).

Also, the reverse switch linkage is missing, so I'm waiting for a replacement from eBay. A few things look to have been lost while the plastics were disassembled, like the radio cover and the other small cover below that.
OK for pump cycling and Temp light warning ... so you have all "basic" starter interlocks satisfied for a start.
In such case, then is has to be EITHER:
- bad / missing wiring somewhere OR
- the reverser switch behind reverser handle - this one does NOT affect starter interlocks the same way as Neutral and side-stand
- the starter Relay itself (or related wiring)
- the handlebar starter button switch (very uncommon to go bad)

The other JOHN (Jzeiler) can help you about the reverser switch testing.

To test Side-Stand switch, it is fairly easy without any multi-meter following steps:
- Key OFF, Sidestand down, put it in 1st gear or 2nd gear (may need to rotate wheel with hand on center-stand)
- Key ON: check that Engine-temp light is OFF. Move side-stand up slowly: about half way up the temp warning lamp should go on and the fuel pump should prime.
- Key OFF: test done (although you can do more cycling of side-stand up-down if you want to confirm not intermittent.

Of course, in case of malfunction of Side-Stand switch, a multi-meter OHM function can test both logic: is the system seeing stand UP and also seeing when stand is down. There are 3 wires to achieve this double logic (see attached image with notes).

To test Clutch switch, you will be able to confirm ONLY ONCE you can have the "normal" starter function to work. When out of NEUTRAL (any gear), the engine will refuse to start unless the clutch is pulled. You can also test with a Multi-meter HOWEVER the end connector is quite far in the electrical junction box under fuel tank (below relay box).

The end connector for the right hand switch assy (with Starter button) is also in lower electrical junction box. This is covered a bit in BMW shop manual AND also in CLYMER manual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200RS_Side-stand-Switch_Connector-Pins (with notes).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	152143  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Jun 3rd, 2019 at 6:09 pm.
post #15 of 51 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 7:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If the linkage is missing for reverse (your picture is too small to see what you are showing) then so is the interconnect switches for starting and reversing. Unless there were modifications done the starter will not work without those. The switch housing is shown ON the side of the gearbox in the last picture, if you have that part then once you get the rest of it you can shift in and out of reverse and test the switches. The connector is a white one up near the coil box on that side of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reverse switch.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	152151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156_zps4jcuq1wg.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	152153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157_zpsbyaor9ty.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	152155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse switch.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	152157  
sailor likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 51 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Here is a larger shot of the part I'm waiting for, and also a shot of the reverser switch on the gearbox.

I also have confirmation that the side stand switch is functioning properly.

I guess next I'll pull the panel to expose the reverser switch for further testing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 7.33.31 PM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	152159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	751.8 KB
ID:	152161  
post #17 of 51 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 9:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK looks like it is still on the shaft. If you remove it from the shaft be very careful as the little "tits" on the micro switches can be buggered up easily as you slide them off of the cams. Better to test at the connector. One will be open and the other closed in reverse and then they switch condition in forward. With the bike in neutral you should be able to move the little arm by hand if you rotate the rear wheel a bit as you are engaging straight cut gears for reverse.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #18 of 51 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

So I guess you've answered my next question. When I tried to rotate the switch lever it would only move about 15 degrees and then snap back.

If I understand correctly, I need to rotate the rear wheel at the same time to mesh the gears to allow it to rotate fully?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	152167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	152169  
post #19 of 51 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 6:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes you will feel a definite clunk when it engages, also there will be a "R" lit up on the dash.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #20 of 51 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Yep, I only had to nudge the rear tire and it snapped into reverse.

Affirmative on the dash light on when in reverse.

I unplugged and re-plugged the reverser connection just in case. Still no response from the starter button.

Do you happen to know which connections I should be jumping on the connector to test? Would it be the horizontal pairs or the ones at 45° ?

I really appreciate the help!

edit- I just looked at the reverser controller online and see that there is at least one other connector. Is this even the correct connector to test?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1221.jpg
Size:	628.1 KB
ID:	152193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1220.jpg
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	152195  
radar41 likes this.

Last edited by Billy Pilgrim; Jun 4th, 2019 at 11:31 am. Reason: incomplete
post #21 of 51 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 9:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes there are two barrel connectors on the reverser controller (see pic #2 in post #8) but the 4 pin is the local disconnect for the gear box switches. The first picture in post 15 shows the pins for the switches 1-2 and 3-4. So 1 and 2 should show continuity when 3 and 4 show open and 3 and 4 show continuity when 1 and 2 are open. But if the "R" came on that is triggered by the pin 1-2 switch so that part is working. That leaves the starter switch on pin 3 - 4 that should show continuity when the "R" is off and reverse is disengaged.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #22 of 51 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Test confirms pins 3-4 also operating properly.

What next?
post #23 of 51 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 6:29 am Thread Starter

So while reading through the "LT won't crank" thread, I noticed that Bob G mentioned "Reverse worked so I knew that the starter motor and start push button was ok "

Again forgive my ignorance but I'm understanding that reverse is powered by the starter motor? And should the start button engage the starter motor in reverse?

Because in my case, in reverse, with the reverse light on, no response from the start button.

Would this indicate a bad start button?
post #24 of 51 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 8:32 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The bike engine has to be running for reverse to work and the controller sends a reduced voltage to the starter motor to operate reverse when you press the starter button. The next step is to get to the starter relay which is in a box under the fuel tank. From there we can trace the output from the relay to the starter to see if it is hooked up correctly and check the relay to see if it is "seeing" the starter button input.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	152233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old relay.jpg
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	152235  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #25 of 51 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Well the plot thins... Lots of missing fasteners under the tank, and by the looks of it, this bike spent a substantial time outdoors with the tank off. It looks like I am following a path that has been tread before...

Hopefully with your guy's help I can solve what the previous owner apparently could not!

What next?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1262.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	959.7 KB
ID:	152249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1265.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1,010.6 KB
ID:	152251  
post #26 of 51 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Well the plot thins... Lots of missing fasteners under the tank, and by the looks of it, this bike spent a substantial time outdoors with the tank off. It looks like I am following a path that has been tread before...

Hopefully with your guy's help I can solve what the previous owner apparently could not!

What next?
Based on these photos, you have the so-called retrofitted Blue Starter Relay kit. This may lead to the problem or solution...

The story is this: all early models (1999-2000) until somewhere in 2001, had the original simple BLACK starter relay. Since yours is a 1999 (based on your 1st post of this saga), it MUST have come from factory with a BLACK one. Later on, not only did BMW installed a smarter BLUE starter Relay at factory on all K1200LT, BUT they also created a kit to retrofit the older models (1999 to earrly 2001).

Because it would NOT be cost effective to retrofit a main wire harness to early models, the retrofit kit had an adapter between the Blue Relay and the old harness connection (of the black relay). In addition, the mechanic / user doing such job had to also make a few patches in wiring documented in a paper copy furnished with the retrofit kit.

HENCE, it is quite possible the retrofit Kit was not installed properly OR something got loose / broken later in these wiring patches. See the PDF document in the MAX-PART fiche for the retrofit Kit instructions here: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/NotesP...57663945_1.pdf

IMPORTANT: keep in mind that in order to solve the issues related to the old BLACK starter Relay, they introduced another set of issues. In most cases the new BLUE Relay does the job as designed: prevent or refuse to execute the starter IF the battery is below a certain voltage (about 11.6 after key ON , but not documented by BMW). HOWEVER, because the BLUE Relay contains electronic circuitry that was not present with the old / simpler type, it is "potentially" subject to other type of failure cause by inadvertent mistakes (over-voltage , reverse polarity Battery connect ...).

During last 15 years, I have seen at least 3 cases where the BLUE relay would just refuse to execute although the battery voltage was good. There is no official documented method to test the internal circuitry / logic that they have added. Substitution was the only option we had in these 3 cases to confirm that the problem was inside the Blue relay.
CharlieVT and bruce60 like this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #27 of 51 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Well I can't see any obvious signs of loose connections or damage, and a bad starter relay would check out with the previous owners story...

So, anyone out there have an extra relay sitting around?
post #28 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 12:20 am

Hi Billy

I have just been down that exact path as you are going.

Mine is a 2003 model bought at auction, wires are a total mess.

I bench tested the relay which is the blue one like yours.

I found that this relay requires constant positive through the green wire and the second positive comes from starter switch, which is the black wire with yellow stripe. so 2 X positive.

but the difficult part is the ground wire to the relay. this is a brown black with silver markers in sections, this one goes via the reverse switch on the gearbox to the reverse control box to ground.

So an easy way to see if the reverse controller is faulty or the reverse switch is the culprit you can unplug the reverse switch connector, which is just above what looks like the distributer with the spark plug leads coming out, the connector has 4 wires, (2 each for the 2 switches on the actuator)

You will see the brown / black with silver markers on one end, inside the plug, the corresponding pin, make a piece of wire, one end will be grounded some where convenient , like tighten it onto a screw on the frame etc, the other end needs a tiny loop which you slide over the pin of the brown / black with silver markers, with the ignition on, the relay should click when you press the starter switch and with the relay connected to the battery correctly and the tank on with fuel, your bike may run.

Oh...and maybe make sure the reverse isn't engaged on the gear box lever, the wheel will be very hard to turn while the bike is in neutral.

If the relay clicks but wont turn over, you may have burnt up points inside the relay, you can clean them up if you open the relay and it may work again for a while, or use the relay to switch another external relay which I have done, in this case the relay still has all the functions but another one is doing the heavy switching.

If no clicking, you may have a faulty relay.

So, this all means,

If it clicks and turns over, you have either a faulty reverse switch, or a faulty reverse controller.
This is where I am at with my bike, I have no reverse, even though all switches have been tested ok, and all dash lights show the correct results.
But my bike runs with the wires as described above.
I have yet to find a circuit diagram or a way to test the reverse controller which also turns of ignition and fuel pump if removed.

Ray

Last edited by RaySQ; Jun 6th, 2019 at 1:16 am.
post #29 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 8:15 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The blue relay is $153 so it might be in your best interest to replace it with an old style Ford starter relay just to eliminate the blue one and save a few bucks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	152273   Click image for larger version

Name:	retro fit relay.PNG
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	152275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old relay.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	152277  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #30 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The next step is to get to the starter relay which is in a box under the fuel tank. From there we can trace the output from the relay to the starter to see if it is hooked up correctly and check the relay to see if it is "seeing" the starter button input.
I don't want to skip this step, but I could use a little help here. How do I confirm that the relay to starter connection is correct, and what is the best way to make sure that the relay is seeing the starter button?

Sorry if I'm a bit simple, but I don't want to miss something!
post #31 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK the BLACK wire (large) goes to the starter tie point and ultimately the starter motor. The RED wire (large) is the connection to the battery +. This is the main flow of current to the starter when the relay energizes.

To see if the starter button signal is making it to the starter relay look for 12 v on the thin black with yellow stripe wire when you press the starter button (key on of course). Then check the reversing switch signal (12 v) is also there there on the brown with black tracer wire (small) as it is only there when NOT in reverse. There should also be 12 v on the small green wire (switched power).

That will tell you if all signals are present and therefore the blue relay is at fault.

Also measure the battery voltage when you have the key on as it must be above 11.6 or so for the relay to actually work.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #32 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Following along intently. Best thread I seen covering what to do when you got nothing. I’ve learned a few new tricks. Thanks!

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #33 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Well the voltage test on the relay while pushing the starter button reveals:

~12v @ the large red wire and the small green wire, BUT NOWHERE ELSE.

No response on thin black-with-yellow, and no voltage (transient .2 or so) on thin brown-with-black.

Question--should the brown-with-black have the 12v constant, or is it also instigated by the starter button? (Reverser switch was in the forward position, no "R" lit on the dash)
post #34 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Here is a wiring diagram for the battery, starter and the tie points so you will know if you have everything connected properly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Starter wiring Updated.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	152291  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #35 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

So if a jumper wire placed between the big red wire with 12v, and the small black-with-yellow wire results in THIS THING CRANKING LIKE A BEAST!!!

does that mean I need a new starter button?

: )
post #36 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Down whwere all those pretty colored plugs are, locate the blue one with the grey wire with the blue stripe and a loop on the plug. Follow where that connects back to the harness and that is the right multifunction bundle from the handle bars. Unplug the black plug and test with a meter between the black/yellow and the green/yellow when pressing the start button. See if you get continuity. I believe the green/yellow provides the voltage to the start button so you can see if there is power there when all the interlocks are met. It may not be the button but the 12v source which I would have to look further to locate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0190.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	152293   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0188.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	152295  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #37 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Welp, sure enough, continuity through the starter button when pressed, and not when not--button isn't the problem

Also, there is continuity in the black/yellow wire from the other side of the connector back to the starter relay, so starter button to relay is good.

So is the problem somewhere back along the green/yellow wire? No power being supplied to starter button...

???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Size:	770.0 KB
ID:	152315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Size:	770.4 KB
ID:	152317  
post #38 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
So if a jumper wire placed between the big red wire with 12 v, and the small black-with-yellow wire results in THIS THING CRANKING LIKE A BEAST!!!

does that mean I need a new starter button?

: )
OK we are making head way but before we hit the starter button ALL these signals go through the reverser controller and we need to make sure it is powered right and that both barrel connectors are secured. It is the big square silver box on the left side back by the battery. It has three large black with yellow stripe wires. One has a red sleeve at the eyelet and it goes to battery+, one has a black sleeve and it goes to the starter tie point, and the last one has a brown sleeve and it goes to the ground tie point. If that is all good then follow what Gordon said. Ok I see I posted this a bit late.

OK no 12 V to the starter button, do you have the kill switch in the center position? It controls the emergency cut off relay that provides power to the starter button. I see you cycled it to confirm the fuel pump cycled so that means it is providing the 12 V it is just not making it to the starter switch (or you left it off).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:41 pm.
post #39 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Ummmm... I don't quite know how to say this, but I just went out and reconnected that connector that we undid to check the operation of the start button, and..

IT CRANKS!!!!

(And no, I didn't have the kill switch off, or any of the barrel connectors undone...)

I mean, I did notice a tiny bit of corrosion on the connector sockets, and I did shove some roughed-up lengths of paperclip in there to get the meter clips on..., but REALLY?

I'm in shock.

Here's the video:
kbob12 and 83elite like this.
post #40 of 51 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

So I'm thinking that the first thing I do with this bike is to carefully disconnect every connection and spray some Gibbs oil on every connector and give them a little exercise!

And clean the crap out of it!
post #41 of 51 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 7:02 am

Congratulations to you and to all of those that helped without complaining. This is the type of thread and teamwork that brings a community together. There is more work to be done but you now it may be worth saving.
sailor and kbob12 like this.
post #42 of 51 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 7:27 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
So I'm thinking that the first thing I do with this bike is to carefully disconnect every connection and spray some Gibbs oil on every connector and give them a little exercise!

And clean the crap out of it!
That is fantastic that you found the source of all the aggravation. Jacking all the connectors would be a prudent move as that will help clean them as well. Guess I have not heard of Gibbs oil but it was invented by a Harley mechanic and should help the jacking process. Looks like you are on your way to falling in love with an LT (now that you can start it)!
kbob12 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #43 of 51 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Well my Clymer manual just arrived this morning! I'm sure it will still be useful, but I have to thank you guys for helping me out with this. I'm sure that even with the manual I would never have gotten to this solution in twice the time!

So thanks, especially to jzeiler and bmwcoolk1200 and sailor for walking me through all this without making me feel stupid. I've really grown fond of this bike and I look forward to riding it soon.

So next up: electrical and general cleaning, new brake lines, fuel connectors, internal fuel lines, and injector service.

Thanks again, guys.
BP
sailor and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #44 of 51 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Well my Clymer manual just arrived this morning! I'm sure it will still be useful, but I have to thank you guys for helping me out with this. I'm sure that even with the manual I would never have gotten to this solution in twice the time!

So thanks, especially to jzeiler and bmwcoolk1200 and sailor for walking me through all this without making me feel stupid. I've really grown fond of this bike and I look forward to riding it soon.

So next up: electrical and general cleaning, new brake lines, fuel connectors, internal fuel lines, and injector service.

Thanks again, guys.
BP
Glad you kept your cool and patience level moving along. I think you did pretty good considering you were not familiar with the K1200LT.

Now that the dust has settle ... altough I never answered the question of your 1st post above, initially I taught you were a bit crazy OR you had big balls to buy such complex machine (in sad shape) without doing more research before.

Although I am a pretty good wrench, this is NOT my style / mode of operation when I buy something used... but we also need people with this kind of guts;-)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #45 of 51 Old Jun 7th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Quote:

BP
While everything is torn apart, don't forget to change the coolant hoses and replace the air filter as it will be PITA to do them later.

for brake lines, I suggest the braided stainless steel spiegler brake line kit. It is cheaper than the BMW lines that need to be regularly replaced and will last forever.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #46 of 51 Old Jun 8th, 2019, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

One final (maybe?) update on this issue:

I got all the connectors cleaned and oiled, and put the cover on.

NO CRANK!!

Turns out the pin(s) was(were) loose in the socket(s). I put a slight kink in both pins, like you do sometimes when an electrical plug is too loose in the receptacle, and now I can move the wires in the harness all around without interrupting the connection. I'm guessing that little bit of corrosion either reduced the diameter of the pins or enlarged the sockets just enough to create the open circuit.

Luckily, I didn't spot any other signs of corrosion on any of the other connectors. (crosses fingers)

The excitement never ends! (I can see why the previous owner gave up!)
post #47 of 51 Old Jun 8th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Quote:
One final (maybe?) update on this issue:

I got all the connectors cleaned and oiled, and put the cover on.

NO CRANK!!

Turns out the pin(s) was(were) loose in the socket(s). I put a slight kink in both pins, like you do sometimes when an electrical plug is too loose in the receptacle, and now I can move the wires in the harness all around without interrupting the connection. I'm guessing that little bit of corrosion either reduced the diameter of the pins or enlarged the sockets just enough to create the open circuit.

Luckily, I didn't spot any other signs of corrosion on any of the other connectors. (crosses fingers)

The excitement never ends! (I can see why the previous owner gave up!)
The more you learn about the LT, the better it is, it just never gets any easier to work on though
Voyager and kbob12 like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #48 of 51 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Well I am impressed. My first experience with a K1200. This engine is amazing!

Fresh filters, fresh gas, and fresh oil. It really runs fantastic!

Now to finish getting it back together and a road test!

post #49 of 51 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 9:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Now get out there and ride it like you stole it. First gear is good to 62 MPH then you will hit the rev limiter. She really comes alive after 3500 RPM and pulls like crazy all the way up from there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #50 of 51 Old Jun 11th, 2019, 5:49 am

Quote:
Well I am impressed. My first experience with a K1200. This engine is amazing!
Have been watching this thread with hopeful interest; congrats!
Still trying to get used to our new GTL and still missing our 2000 KLT. (Frankly, I find myself purusing the classifieds for a KLT )
You are going to love this bike.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in