• 1 Post By DLBass
  • 5 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 5:57 am Thread Starter

Garage
4th Time around with an LT

Well Hello again

After a brief flirtation with an Electra Glide and a Rocket 3 X, I'm off to view what will likely be my 4th 1200LT this afternoon. A 2005 LUX with 26,000 miles on it.

I looked at 1600GTL's and have ridden one owned by a friend, and much as it's a very impressive bike I have ended up back with the big girl again. Perhaps I should keep this one instead of swapping it out this time

It's good to be back

You can't guarantee tomorrow, so do it today!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 8:15 am

Re: 4th Time around with an LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBass View Post
Well Hello again

After a brief flirtation with an Electra Glide and a Rocket 3 X, I'm off to view what will likely be my 4th 1200LT this afternoon. A 2005 LUX with 26,000 miles on it.

I looked at 1600GTL's and have ridden one owned by a friend, and much as it's a very impressive bike I have ended up back with the big girl again. Perhaps I should keep this one instead of swapping it out this time

It's good to be back
Welcome back !

Could you give your impressions (good / bad points) about the Electra-Glide compare to the K1200LT.

Of course, the Rocket-3 is hard to compare to a K1200LT as it is more like a muscle car (or a torque monster) in my opinion...

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBass View Post
Well Hello again

It's good to be back
You are a slow learner.

Just kidding, best of luck with your LT search.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

The Electra Glide (mine was an 03 twin cam) is slower, has less room to move around on, shakes more, has less ground clearance and poor brakes. It does have that Harley sound and a certain old school charm and I bought it to slow myself down. The Rocket is just bonkers, and I currently still have it. So much torque, handles really well (just did a week in the Pyrenees) and is all day long comfortable. The big deal for me with the KLT is the weather protection, comfort, fuel consumption and cruise control.
sailor likes this.

You can't guarantee tomorrow, so do it today!
post #5 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Well you certainly know what you like, apparently you occasionally forget though! Best of luck with your purchase! Iím on round 2 myself.
post #6 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Super Moderator

Welcome back . . .

I'm on my second LT and have 2 more to go to catch up to you - okay you win - I give up . . .

Been on an LT continuously since 2003!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 11:20 pm

I'm still on my 1st LT. And I will repeat my mantra. The LT is the biggest God Damn PITA Maintenance nightmare along with it's known problems. It's top heavy..Yea. Junk servo ABS. Yep. ETC..ETC.. I will have a scowl on my puss once in a while doing the tedious removal of parts just getting to the inner bowels of the beast for routine maintenance such as fuel/air filter change. BUT!!!!When the Job is done. And the tools are put away. And I get on it to ride afterwards. I get it out on the road. Roll on the throttle. THERE HASN'T EVER BEEN A BIKE I'VE EVER RIDDEN THAT PUTS A SMILING GRIN ON MY FACE THE WAY A LT DOES. And I've owned a few bikes. Ridden too many to remember trying to find a replacement. Nothing else fits the bill. Boy I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 11 Old May 29th, 2019, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I'm still on my 1st LT. And I will repeat my mantra. The LT is the biggest God Damn PITA Maintenance nightmare along with it's known problems. It's top heavy..Yea. Junk servo ABS. Yep. ETC..ETC.. I will have a scowl on my puss once in a while doing the tedious removal of parts just getting to the inner bowels of the beast for routine maintenance such as fuel/air filter change. BUT!!!!When the Job is done. And the tools are put away. And I get on it to ride afterwards. I get it out on the road. Roll on the throttle. THERE HASN'T EVER BEEN A BIKE I'VE EVER RIDDEN THAT PUTS A SMILING GRIN ON MY FACE THE WAY A LT DOES. And I've owned a few bikes. Ridden too many to remember trying to find a replacement. Nothing else fits the bill. Boy I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
Pretty much sums it up.
kbob12 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 11 Old May 29th, 2019, 1:51 pm

What have i done??? I'm a prisoner..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; May 29th, 2019 at 9:50 pm.
post #10 of 11 Old May 30th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Garage
Welcome back!! Agree with all said above!! We tried the GTL! Do a valve check on a GTL - then tell me how difficult the LT is to do?? Easy by comparison!!

Radar

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #11 of 11 Old May 31st, 2019, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar41 View Post
Welcome back!! Agree with all said above!! We tried the GTL! Do a valve check on a GTL - then tell me how difficult the LT is to do?? Easy by comparison!!

Radar
For a Valve check. Yea. The GTL is a PITA. But model specific mechanical issues and known problems plaguing a particular model. The GTL once they got the bugs sorted out was way less headaches than an LT. But still. Comfort,wind,weather protection. The LT wins. I just don't care for a GTL's aesthetics. It's not for me.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in