Truth or Fiction? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 27th, 2019, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Garage
Truth or Fiction?

I'm planning a trip around Lake Superior for late June into early July. Everything I read says I need to book my accommodations early. However, I don't have exact dates or a solid itinerary nailed down. Also, I don't want to be a slave to a schedule. So for those of you who have made this trip, how imperative is it that I lock in reservations? Any one just wing it around the lake? And if any one has any other words of wisdom regarding this endeavor, let's hear it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 27th, 2019, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Truth or Fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiniusJWhoopee View Post
I'm planning a trip around Lake Superior for late June into early July. Everything I read says I need to book my accommodations early. However, I don't have exact dates or a solid itinerary nailed down. Also, I don't want to be a slave to a schedule. So for those of you who have made this trip, how imperative is it that I lock in reservations? Any one just wing it around the lake? And if any one has any other words of wisdom regarding this endeavor, let's hear it. Thanks.
I canít speak to the lake superior issue directly, but I have traveled most of the USA and a good part of Canada and my wife and I almost never book more than 24 hours in advance. The only exception being holiday weekends, although we didnít even do that on our current trip to Alaska and had no problem getting hotels reserved at lunch time for that night.

We generally look at hotels during out lunch stop at wherever we think we can get to that afternoon. If we see several hotels already sold out, then we will pick a destination and reserve a room then. However, not of the time this isnít the case so we ride a couple more hours and stop for a mid-afternoon break around 3 PM. We then have a really good idea how much farther we feel like riding and will reserve a hotel. I think this has only failed to work for us one time and that was when several towns along our route had college graduations and everything was sold out. Luckily, we were on our way home so we just kept riding and got home around 2 AM.
davebullock likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old May 27th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Garage

I circled Lake Superior about a decade ago. I traveled in September and did not have any problems finding places to stay. I usually scope out hotels the night before to see if any are full and decide what place I would prefer to stay at. If a preferred hotel has a day of arrival cancel policy I often reserve a room. If the ride does not go as expected I can cancel with my phone. If the preferred hotel does not have a cancel policy I make a reservation from my phone when I am far enough along in the days ride to know where I will overnight.

Current rides
2014 R1200RT -8 States
1984 R80RT Ė semi-retired -48 States, 5 Provinces
Past rides
1973 Honda CB500-4 -13 States
1971 Honda CL-350 -6 States
1972 Honda CL-175

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old May 27th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Garage

Not much of a problem. Except Duluth, especially around the holiday. Options can be spread out, eespecially sparse on the Canadian side.
post #5 of 7 Old May 27th, 2019, 4:28 pm

I live on the south shore of Lake Superior. We took a car trip around the lake last summer and camped along the way. There are several provincial park campgrounds to enjoy. There are also several motel options from the chains to mom and pop's at all of the moderate sized towns such as Wawa, Terrace Bay, Rossport, Nipigon and the much larger cities of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and Ontario in the east and Thunder Bay to the west.

On the US side of the lake, lodging and fuel are quite plentiful, but careful planning is needed such as reservations at motels. The summer tourist season is quite busy all along the south shore. It started last Friday.

The route is very scenic with many turnouts to stop at. So many turnouts, that if you stopped at all of them it would take more than a week just to get around the north side of the lake. There are several waterfalls to seek out as well. My favorite of the trip was Kakabeka Falls near Thunder Bay.

It is often advised when travelling by motorcycle to go around clockwise as a majority of the scenic attractions of the lake would be on your right, allowing safer exit or entrance to the highway.

Edit....we traveled mid-August 2018

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #6 of 7 Old May 27th, 2019, 8:01 pm

I would think with access to the internet one should be able to find a room on short notice almost anywhere. It may not be exactly what you prefer, but you should be able to find something barring some massive festival/event or major holiday.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 7 Old May 28th, 2019, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the input, guys. That's the way I handle all my travels. I don't like getting locked in to an itinerary in case We see something interesting that we want to spend more time at or the weather in uncooperative for a day or two. I make a general plan and leave lots of room for audibles. Haven't had a problem yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in