BMW Parts availability? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

BMW Parts availability?

Been waiting 3 weeks for valve shims from Chicago BMW. They said a week when I ordered them. Is this normal? Is there a better dealer that maybe stocks more service parts or is this normal for BMW? ------Rethy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Smile

sometimes you can actually get the parts quicker from your local dealer, all depends on how much you want to "save vs wait" for parts. I'd rather pay the 20% and get my parts in a few days and get back to riding
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:02 pm

I know this is a crappy answer, but the truth is it can be normal for some parts to take awhile to get here. And like Murphy's Law, the faster you want them the longer it takes to get them. I have yet to experience a problem, but others have posted issues.

Did you call/email any other online BMW stores? (A&S Cycles, Bob's BMW, BMW of Santa Cruz County . . . just to name a few.)

By the way...I see you're relatively new around these parts, so welcome to the forum!

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 5:11 am

parts sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethy
Been waiting 3 weeks for valve shims from Chicago BMW. They said a week when I ordered them. Is this normal? Is there a better dealer that maybe stocks more service parts or is this normal for BMW? ------Rethy
My experience base is primarily local dealers, Chicago BMW, and Max BMW who has a nice on line parts fische.

With local dealer you know right at the counter if the part is in stock. Also good parts dealer will tell you if NIS part is coming from N.America or Europe.

Chicago is cheaper but in my experience can be very, very slow. And, unless you call they will provide no feedback regarding NIS items or where they are coming from (i.e. how long it's going to take).

Max BMW online ordering in my experience delivers very quickly with in stock parts. I think orders go out same day or next day. If Max finds part NIS they always email, tell me of the expected delay, and if the order is more than one item ask if I want partial shipment of instock items. Max does not discount parts, (But I have usually gotten a back of M&M peanut candy in the shipment with the parts).

disclaimer: no affiliation with Max's, I just like the service (and the M&Ms). I am sure there are other BMW dealers whose mail order service is comparable, but I like the ease of use of Max's online parts fische too.
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 6:11 am

Parts delivery

Quote:
Rethy where are located? If in the Chicago area try Twin Citys BMW. I have excellent luck with them. Usually same day shipping and if not they tell me when I can expect the parts to arrive.

Twin City BMW Motorcycles in Savoy, IL.
phone 217-356-0399

open Tuesday thru Friday from 9 to 5:30 and 9 to 3 on Saturday. Central time.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Twin Citys, just a satisfied customer.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 6:21 am

Like Joe, I have yet to ever experience a single problem with parts. Recent cases in point....Ordered hard bags, a tinted shield and the small trunk for my new R1200R last Saturday. They came in Wednesday and were installed yesterday. New final drive last week in the LT. Overnighted by BMW. I buy everything from my dealer.......BMW of Grand Rapids. I support them because I want them around for the long haul. They have been very good to me over the years and the least I can do is give them my accessory business. Dick
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:40 am

Garage
I had a similar problem with Chicago when I ordered clutch parts. Called them and the order had gone astray !! Their prices were good so I re-ordered and they came within a week.
I second Joe's comment about Murphy.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

BMW Parts availability?

Thanks for the replies. I ordered from Chicago for 2 reasons. The 20% discount and my closest dealer is 2 hours away and is absolutely the worst M/C dealer I have ever dealt with (Ginas in Iowa City). For balance I will explain. One of my riding buddies had the final drive seal leaking on his 1150R and scheduled the repair. They charged him $600 for the repair which I suspect is at least $200 too high. Maybe a gold plated seal. When they found out he was using Castrol and not BMW oil they made him feel like a second class idiot. Claiming he should ONLY use BMW oil. Funny thing is, on the back of the owners manual is a Castrol emblem indicating they likely are providing the oil for BMW. They want $400 to do the ABS annual service on my LT. When I told them that was too high they said and I will quote "maybe you shouldn't be riding a BMW". Can you believe the attitude of these people. My goal is to never set foot in there again. I have owned and ridden motorcycles for 33 years and have never been treated like that from any other shop. I own several cycles and for cost purposes do all my maintenance and repairs so maybe these prices are normal, but I never spend that much on any of the other bikes. Thats my story and I'm sticken to it. Thanks again for the replies.----Rethy
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 9:54 am

Quote:
When I told them that was too high they said and I will quote "maybe you shouldn't be riding a BMW". Can you believe the attitude of these people. Rethy
I was also told the same thing from a dealer. I had asked the price of a bike and was told "look, you either want it or you don't!". I guess I didn't.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in