Thoughts on the Triumph Trophy. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rockitcity
  • 1 Post By Hfjeff
  • 1 Post By wethead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old May 13th, 2019, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Thoughts on the Triumph Trophy.

I've seen or ridden just about every possible LT Replacement, Even the BMW GTL. Rejecting all for differant reasons. The one i looked at and kinda didn't take as seriously as i should have might be the Triumph Trophy SE. Now discontinued. Anyone who has ridden or owns one raves on about them. The comfort and handling and storage capacity, saying they are the perfect tourer, and under 690lbs . I just thought the trunk. Although humongous. Doesn't have speakers and backrest like the LT. Now I'm thinking maybe giving one second and serious look .The triple 1200 motor is,more than powerful enough. And sounds so good. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with one?

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old May 13th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Garage
I rented one for a day and loved it. Good power, comfort and great handling. Wind protection was impeccable. I looked at them myself, but picked up an LT way cheaper.
post #3 of 33 Old May 13th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Thoughts on the Triumph Trophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I've seen or ridden just about every possible LT Replacement, Even the BMW GTL. Rejecting all for differant reasons. The one i looked at and kinda didn't take as seriously as i should have might be the Triumph Trophy SE. Now discontinued. Anyone who has ridden or owns one raves on about them. The comfort and handling and storage capacity, saying they are the perfect tourer, and under 690lbs . I just thought the trunk. Although humongous. Doesn't have speakers and backrest like the LT. Now I'm thinking maybe giving one second and serious look .The triple 1200 motor is,more than powerful enough. And sounds so good. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with one?
I looked at the SE several years ago, but as I did research on it, it seemed as troublesome as the LT. There were a lot of issues, even with new SEs, particularly electrical/electronic gremlins that seemed to stymie the factory as well as the dealers. So, I decided to replace the clutch in my LT and soldier on.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old May 13th, 2019, 9:24 pm

How do you like the RTs?
I get it as a replacement for your LT but a more fair comparison would be to the RT. If you like the RT you may be happy with the Trophy. That being said, Trophy owners seem to be relatively happy with them but most reviews favor the RT over the Trophy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 33 Old May 13th, 2019, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

I like the RT. Never rode one. But i like a multi cylinder and true liquid cooling.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 33 Old May 13th, 2019, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Now on the Trophy website. Several had said trouble free and suburb comfort for 100k. But i'd also read elsewhere about driveshaft trouble on the the 1st year models.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #7 of 33 Old May 14th, 2019, 6:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I like the RT. Never rode one. But i like a multi cylinder and true liquid cooling.
I have not ridden a water cooled RT. When I bought my LT in 07, I rode an RT back to back with the LT. Both my wife and I found it substantially inferior to the LT in smoothness and wind protection. However, I think the new waterhead boxers are much smoother. My brother-in-law, who owns a 2010 Wing, rented one in Ireland last fall (I had a K1600) and he said it was pretty smooth and that is from a Wing rider so I expect the new ones are much improved over the 07 I last rode. I need to try one out as it is on my very short list (currently probably tied with the K1600GA) as a successor to my LT.

I tend to like 4 cylinder bikes also having ridden them since 1987, but I have no issues with a smooth triple or twin and the lighter maintenance load of a twin is actually very attractive. Half as many valves to adjust and half as many spark plugs and throttle bodies/injectors to maintain.

I thought the Trophy SE was a nice looking bike, except for the ugly contrasting color air vents, and it road tested pretty well, but seemed to always come up short of the RT in most testers’ summaries. Add in the troubles that many owners report and its short 6 year life, and I will stay away from it. It sounded like most dealers never really got to know the model and now that it is gone, they have even less incentive. I suspect it will be a hard bike to maintain and get parts for over time.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 Old May 14th, 2019, 9:01 am

Recent RT owner here, coming from a Tiger Explorer which shares its drive train with the Trophy. I considered the Trophy several times when looking for a more road oriented ride. I really like the Triumph 1200 triple motor. It's very smooth, and more responsive than my 2013 RT. I had several dealers tell me that having an Explorer, that I should not bother with the Trophy, especially since it was discontinued as of model year 2017. The RT was its target market. Early years had some cylinder head problems but those were worked out by 2015. When discontinued you could pick up a brand new one for around $13,000, so that was a good deal. You can of course pick up used ones for about half that amount if you look around. I ultimately went with the RT because of all the rave reviews and also because I figured its resale value would be higher if I decided it wasn't for me. So far, I still like the Triumph engine, but am acclimating to the RT and liking it for its merits as well. I have ridden a K1300 GT and liked its smooth power delivery, but went with the Explorer for its seating position, which is more GS-like. Best advice as always is to find one to ride.
sailor likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old May 14th, 2019, 9:53 am Thread Starter

Well. I suspect my replacement list is as short as yours. The water head on the RT is ok. But as i said. I prefer true liquid cooling. And the reasons you state less maintenance load is the same as my concerns. Your thoughts mirror my list. Although a few years off, What the hell do i replace the LT with? I agree on the 1600 GA. It's on a very very short list. And the fact it's governed at 100 mph doesn't thrill me. I've caught myself doing 115 mph passing idiots or getting away from a group of dangerous drivers. The LT may not be the most HP. But it will get past 100 pretty quickly to get you out of trouble. I understand owners say the wind protection on the Trophy is excellent. But i'd have to judge and don't think anything could beat a LT.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; May 14th, 2019 at 9:59 am.
post #10 of 33 Old May 14th, 2019, 9:56 am Thread Starter

I may take a look at a 15 thru 17 SE.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #11 of 33 Old May 14th, 2019, 10:05 am

Test rode a Trophy before I bought my 2014 RT. Liked the engine, but found it top heavy. Switch gear was inferior to the RT and the menu system was a little confusing, almost like they just stuck stuff where it would fit. Thought the RT was superior so bought one. Have now bought a new 1250RT, really like the RTs. Did test ride a K1600 before I bought the 1250, brilliant engine and liked it. But in the end it was the RT for me again. But if I couldn't have the RT the Trophy would be a good substitute.
post #12 of 33 Old May 14th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Well at least I can offer some personal experience with the Trophy. I bought a used 2014 last year and rode it on a major 10k trip. It did handle very well and has a number of pluses. Excellent mileage, can use lower grade of fuel, all the bells and whistles are there, Bluetooth, stereo, satellite radio, electronic suspension, etc. Like mentioned above I did find it top heavy and had to be aware of this at parking lot speeds, especially after fuel up. I traded it and my 2009 Electra Glide for the R1250RT and so far am satisfied with my decision. What bothered me most was the discontinuation of the model. Even last year I started to note that replacement parts, although still available, started to take longer and longer to get. That and my local Triumph dealership closed its doors this spring. Depending on the year there were issues with the software, electronics (the wire cradle was designed without much play, so when you turned the handle bars fully to one side it would stretch the wires to the point that some were having connections breaking), the other common issue was a poorly designed pivot bolt for the shifter and rear brake could snap, leaving a number of riders stranded or worse. I did love the bike though and I did not experience any of the above problems but I was also aware of them and took proactive measures. The protection from wind/rain was excellent. But I am loving the RT plus I have the full warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161126_103044_resize.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	151581  
post #13 of 33 Old May 14th, 2019, 6:25 pm

When I decided to move on from the FJR I seriously looked at the Trophy. I even registered on the Trophy forum so I could search around and gather info. Although they do have some issues, overall most owners I heard from were happy with them. It is a top heavy bike like the FJR but did sit more comfortable and upright. There were some awesome bargains on leftover Trophies. However the fact that they were being discontinued and lack of dealers in my area combined with tanking resale value really drove me to the RT. One ride and I was hooked. Here I am and completely happy. Sometimes I actually do make a good decision.
Voyager likes this.

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2008 Yamaha Zuma (wife's ride but I maintain)
post #14 of 33 Old May 14th, 2019, 8:17 pm

I bought a new Trophy SE in 2015 and put 19000 miles on it before trading it for a 2017 RT. The Triumph has better straight line stability than the RT. Power on the RT is strongly superior as well as the brakes on the RT. Triumph has a smoother engine. Wind protection is superior on the Trophy but was TOO good when the weather got warm. Switch gear is much better on the RT. The Triumph has a lot of engine mechanical noise which was irritating. The Triumph front end dived a lot during heavy braking which in turn affected handling in a turn while braking. I found the Trophy more comfortable on 500 plus mile days over the RT. I preferred the looks of the Trophy over the RT. You could adjust the Trophy suspension for a smoother ride than the RT. Well, thats about it. Both these bikes are now gone and have been replace by a 2019 Kawasaki H2 SX SE +. Its not comfortable to ride, but it sure goes real fast real easy!
post #15 of 33 Old May 15th, 2019, 10:02 pm

I bought the 2013 Trophy, traded it back in inside a few months.

No doubt the bike is a 'good idea' gone manufacturer-wrong: Very comfy, good power.

HOWEVER, the electronics were a nightmare, the brakes were worse than my single front brake old Fatboy, the recalls were constant. There were people suing Triumph on the forum, some whose bike were completely taken apart in the shop and still could not find the problems with the electronics, their software was ridiculously glitzie...

...no, I don't recommend a Trophy...I did not know they stop making it but I can see why. I would guess the reason was comparable as to why Ford stopped making the Pinto.

I remember when I was a kid I used to have an Austin Healey sports car. The thing was neat as heck, but I spent the weekends working on that car so I could drive it to work and back on the weekdays, most of the time, with something broke...that's what owning my Trophy was like.

The best sports-touring bike for your money is the Yamaha FJR...if you are looking for cheap efficacy. Personally, the best bike I ever owned (including the FJR) is this 2018 RT.
Hfjeff likes this.
post #16 of 33 Old May 15th, 2019, 10:23 pm

I’ve been riding RTs since 1981, since then I have never not had an RT. I also love Triumph bikes, currently have 2. I looked forward to the Trophy 1200 coming out for years, but I was bitterly disappointed. I loved the test ride but the problems I read about put me off. I’d shy away.
post #17 of 33 Old May 16th, 2019, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. Good to know about the Trophy issues. Well. Maybe the list just got even shorter.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #18 of 33 Old May 16th, 2019, 7:21 pm

I've put over 100,000 miles on 2 LTs.Traded in my last one on a spanking new 2017 Trophy SE Before last season.After farkling to my satisfaction I find the Triumph superior in every way except the radio. 2 speakers just can't compare to 4.And I miss the CD player. The deal breaker on the LT for me was the weight after a trip thru the Rockies .Hairpin turns when fully loaded for touring sucked.30 hp more than the LT more than makes up for the radio.Bike sounds so sweet I never turn it on anyhoo.Bike listed at $18,999 and I picked it up for $12,500.

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #19 of 33 Old May 16th, 2019, 7:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks. Good to know about the Trophy issues. Well. Maybe the list just got even shorter.
Well, it really depends on what you are looking for. When I looked for a true replacement for the LT, I found the list to be really short as in a null set. I rode pretty much every contender last summer: Yamaha Venture Intercontinental, Gold Wing, K1600 GTL, and K1600 GA. Nothing is a complete replacement when all aspects are considered. In particular, nothing else has the same level of comfort, weather protection, luggage capacity and range. Many had more power and all have more modern electronics, but most came up short in other areas. The Venture had the best seats, but came up short in wind protection and especially heat management with that goofy air cooled engine. The Wing was very good in the areas of weather protection, smoothness, power, handling, but has terrible stock seats and comes up short in luggage capacity and fuel range. The GTL has less comfortable seats and much poorer wind and weather protection, but has good luggage capacity, great range and superb power and light weight. The GA was the closest match for us, but still falls short in passenger wind protection, in stability being trucks, and the backrest pad is oddly shaped and caused my wife discomfort on her back.

If my LT were totaled tomorrow and I had to replace it, the first thing I would do is go test ride an R1250RT and try to also ride another GA at the same time. I would then try to decide among the two. I think the GA would have more power and certainly be smoother, but I think the RT might well come up first in passenger wind protection and certainly wins the weight contest and ease of maintenance. It would be a touch choice as I really like multi-cylinder, liquid cooled engines having ridden behind two different 1200cc, liquid cooled 4 cylinders since 1987. However, I suspect that as I approach age 60 this year, the RT would likely win out. The money saved compared to the GA would allow the purchase of a custom seat, different windshield and such to help increase the comfort level and I am sure I would get used to the twin. Now that I own a KLR, it makes everything else feel smooth in comparison.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 33 Old May 16th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
I bought the 2013 Trophy, traded it back in inside a few months.

No doubt the bike is a 'good idea' gone manufacturer-wrong: Very comfy, good power.

HOWEVER, the electronics were a nightmare, the brakes were worse than my single front brake old Fatboy, the recalls were constant. There were people suing Triumph on the forum, some whose bike were completely taken apart in the shop and still could not find the problems with the electronics, their software was ridiculously glitzie...

...no, I don't recommend a Trophy...I did not know they stop making it but I can see why. I would guess the reason was comparable as to why Ford stopped making the Pinto.

I remember when I was a kid I used to have an Austin Healey sports car. The thing was neat as heck, but I spent the weekends working on that car so I could drive it to work and back on the weekdays, most of the time, with something broke...that's what owning my Trophy was like.

The best sports-touring bike for your money is the Yamaha FJR...if you are looking for cheap efficacy. Personally, the best bike I ever owned (including the FJR) is this 2018 RT.
The first year Trophys had some ploblems,....heads and electronics, but that was all sorted out and fixed within 2 years. I put 19000 miles on my 2015 with zero problems. When the K1600 came out, there were complaints about all the problems that bike was having. I bought a 2013 GTL and still needed a few of those fixed under warranty. The K1600 is still a great bike!
post #21 of 33 Old May 16th, 2019, 8:30 pm

I just bought a well used'13 Trophy SE back in January, replacing my '00 LT.
I bought the LT for two up interstate travel. The SO didn't adapt to that well &, at 68, I'm not as agile or as robust I used to be.
So, I got the SE for daily use. I enjoy the 150# less weight, 40 more hp & very agile handling. & it's much easier to get up on the centerstand!
The SE'S issues have been mostly resolved through recalls & updates(audio software, cylinder head,, brakes, etc)
My SE is better than the LT in many, many ways.
It does have a few shortcomings, compared to the LT. I still miss reverse..
I will always be glad that I had my LT.
But, it do love this bike! You can't beat the triple wail...!

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
post #22 of 33 Old May 17th, 2019, 11:53 am

I have both and as I am getting older the triumph is much lighter. A different feel but it is a hoot if you liked the lt, you'll love the ttse! I had to lower it but I am short 5'9". The seats on both bike suck but nothing new there, get a r.D.L. And live long in the saddle with no prostrate problems, ha! The lack of speakers in the rear didn't phase my girlfriend and she's rode extensivly on both now and an fjr 1300ae. Storage is good more room in lowers, abouth the same up top. The ride by wire is fantastic! Much better than cables and the attending problems they give. My lt let me down more times than I can count which is why I didn't buy the 1600/6. The trophy satisfies my comfort levels and need for tunes, speaking of which I have a 64 gb usb the size of my thumbnail so no tape decks to fail and more music than you could possibly carry on any trip. The dash even tells you the song! It's in a small glove box on the left side of the fairing. I went thru 2 stingray radios and one tape deck 6 player on the lt. The trophy seems better in many respects but you will notice nose dive compared to the lt on braking bu the exhaust note is so pleasant! Nothing sounds like a triple on the pipe! As good as a 6 but half the problems. Also, on my third wiring harness n the lt. Was gonna ditch it but I can't seem to abandon it for some reason. Like an unhappy child I keep trying to make it better. But the trophy is the good kid, puts the smile back on my face when the beemer lets me down. Try it, you'll like it! Easier to work on and service yourself too. I got the uk dealer tool, hooks up to your computer tunes the bike and ck.S faults if you have one and a shop manual. Life is good. Trophy is a 20 min oil change! Try that on an lt! Impossible! Fairing removal much simpler, fewer bolts and screws. I can go on but I won't. My lt will probably go soon. Having to down size my entire life. Have many spares for it and you'll need'em! Ha!
Here's where to go like here is to us.
I have both and as I am getting older the triumph is much lighter. A different feel but it is a hoot if you liked the LT, you'll love the TTSE! I had to lower it but I am short 5'9". The seats on both bike suck but nothing new there, get a R.D.L. And live long in the saddle with no prostrate problems, ha! The lack of speakers in the rear didn't phase my girlfriend and she's rode extensivly on both now and an FJR1300ae. Storage is good more room in lowers, about the same up top. The ride by wire is fantastic! Much better than cables and the attending problems they give. MyLT let me down more times than I can count which is why I didn't buy the 1600/6. The Trophy satisfies my comfort levels and need for tunes, speaking of which I have a 64 gb usb the size of my thumbnail so no tape decks to fail, take up luggage space and more music than you could possibly carry on any trip. The dash even tells you the song! It's in a small glove box on the left side of the fairing. I went thru 2 stingray radios and one tape deck 6 player on the lt. The Trophy seems better in many respects but you will notice nose dive compared to the LT on braking but the exhaust note is so pleasant! Nothing sounds like a triple on the pipe! As good as a 6 but half the problems. Also, on my third wiring harness on the lt. Was gonna ditch it but I can't seem to abandon it for some reason. Like an unhappy child I keep trying to make it better. But the Trophy is the good kid, puts the smile back on my face when the Beemer lets me down. Try it, you'll like it! Easier to work on and service yourself too. I got the UK Dealer tool, hooks up to your computer tunes the bike and ck.s faults if you have one and a shop manual. Life is good. Trophy is a 20 min oil change! Try that on an LT! Impossible! Fairing removal much simpler, fewer bolts and screws. I can go on but I won't. My LT will probably go soon. Having to down size my entire life. Have many spares for it and you'll need'em! Ha! This will get you to the Trophy site. Coconut there is a whiz! https://www.triumph-trophy.com/ Good people like here! If you're anywhere near Laclede, Idaho, stop by. Most perfect replacement I have found for the LT.

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #23 of 33 Old Yesterday, 1:57 pm

Paragraphs anyone?

On lowering the Triumph:
I have lowered a ton of bike, always changed them back to OEM height because the lowering kit degrades the handling a great deal...enough to bother me...I 'll name them for ya: Wings, C-14, FJR, RT, Harleys...

...EXCEPT, for the Triumph Trophy. The Triumph Trophy, IMHO, front end is so light, that making it a little heavier by lowering the back is actually a good thing.

Also in contrast to the last post, I found the Trophy seat to be the best of the bunch of sport-touring bikes in the market...of course, you are right in that an RDL is better than anything...that would make the Trophy back even higher than it was at OEM heights. So it would not make sense to lower a Trophy and then RDL it.
Well, depends what one means by 'sense' don't it.
post #24 of 33 Old Yesterday, 4:09 pm

The biggest thing that I miss, from the LT, is reverse. The lack of front end drive was nice too. & the RDL w/backrest was heaven!
Did I mention that I miss reverse....

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
post #25 of 33 Old Yesterday, 5:23 pm

If you are looking for a replacement to the LT once again, the Trophy is as good a bike as the next one. My problem with buying another BMW is I have paid for 3 bikes it seems while only owning one. Repairs and better yet replacement parts for my LT goes on for miles. 2 centerstand, current one still broke, got used to it. 3 Comfort Drivers seats, 2 Comfort Passenger seats, all w/heat, as they all rip in the same place, & 2 Back rest pads. 2 sets of rear speaker covers. 2 sets of replacement speakers, 2 rear disc's and a rear end seal. 1 Rear End failure, Bought a spare so I'm ready should that happen again. 2 Electronic cruise controls, 3 wiring harnesses. did I mention the bike caught fire the day before I was going on a long trip and destroyed everything under the dash area just about so I had to replace both sets of electronics to the right and left grip electronics, speaker wire assbmbly, the headlight adjuster assembly. 2 radios, front speakers, it needs a new 6 cd rear deck, not gonna happen. Antenna broke. Main engine rear oil seal which destroyed the clutches ability to drive so the fiber plate needed replacing. Fuel pump. Thought the ABS pump went too but was the wiring harness, again! Fork seals, front steering dampner seals, The security system went out, horns blaring that was fun, had to come here and find the crossover to make the bike even go. Both the front and rear shocks. The gas milage wouldn't t when delivered! That was a first fix, an 05' buggaboo, took a year for them to get to that. Lousy fuel milage. Yeah! this bike taught me everything I needed to know about BMW build quality.

Now the TTSE did have some teething problems, most fixed in the 2013-4 year models. The head was redesigned for more bearing surface on the stems. The radios drained batteries till they solved that. Some of the CPU's had issues, and the front rotors made noise as the spacers weren't the correct material, anTriumph replaced. One helluva lot les faults than the Beemer. Now the brakes on this bike are as good as any abs I have ridden. I've got 3 Bikes with ABS and all are good. The LT might get the nod there as they were the first but 4000.00 for an new ABS pump? Screw that!

The TTSE gets the nod from me and despite all the let downs on the LT, I really loved that bike, a real love/hate affair. I'm hoping the TTSE brings me thru the end of my late 60's right up into my 70's in style with fewer issues. I got it with a Corbin seat too. I didn't like it either! I don't have the money for a RDL and yes they are a tall seat and would render lowering moot and put it right back where it was for a short guy. About the lowering. it didn't ruin the handling once I lowered front fork tubes 3/8 inch. Then was right back where it was when I first got it. No, the handling wasn't light to me it was sweet! Like my old Tridents were. Ride one and I betcha you'll like it too.

Brian A. Brodhead

Last edited by nearmisses; Yesterday at 5:24 pm. Reason: paragraph spacing
post #26 of 33 Old Yesterday, 8:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmisses View Post
If you are looking for a replacement to the LT once again, the Trophy is as good a bike as the next one. My problem with buying another BMW is I have paid for 3 bikes it seems while only owning one. Repairs and better yet replacement parts for my LT goes on for miles. 2 centerstand, current one still broke, got used to it. 3 Comfort Drivers seats, 2 Comfort Passenger seats, all w/heat, as they all rip in the same place, & 2 Back rest pads. 2 sets of rear speaker covers. 2 sets of replacement speakers, 2 rear disc's and a rear end seal. 1 Rear End failure, Bought a spare so I'm ready should that happen again. 2 Electronic cruise controls, 3 wiring harnesses. did I mention the bike caught fire the day before I was going on a long trip and destroyed everything under the dash area just about so I had to replace both sets of electronics to the right and left grip electronics, speaker wire assbmbly, the headlight adjuster assembly. 2 radios, front speakers, it needs a new 6 cd rear deck, not gonna happen. Antenna broke. Main engine rear oil seal which destroyed the clutches ability to drive so the fiber plate needed replacing. Fuel pump. Thought the ABS pump went too but was the wiring harness, again! Fork seals, front steering dampner seals, The security system went out, horns blaring that was fun, had to come here and find the crossover to make the bike even go. Both the front and rear shocks. The gas milage wouldn't t when delivered! That was a first fix, an 05' buggaboo, took a year for them to get to that. Lousy fuel milage. Yeah! this bike taught me everything I needed to know about BMW build quality.

Now the TTSE did have some teething problems, most fixed in the 2013-4 year models. The head was redesigned for more bearing surface on the stems. The radios drained batteries till they solved that. Some of the CPU's had issues, and the front rotors made noise as the spacers weren't the correct material, anTriumph replaced. One helluva lot les faults than the Beemer. Now the brakes on this bike are as good as any abs I have ridden. I've got 3 Bikes with ABS and all are good. The LT might get the nod there as they were the first but 4000.00 for an new ABS pump? Screw that!

The TTSE gets the nod from me and despite all the let downs on the LT, I really loved that bike, a real love/hate affair. I'm hoping the TTSE brings me thru the end of my late 60's right up into my 70's in style with fewer issues. I got it with a Corbin seat too. I didn't like it either! I don't have the money for a RDL and yes they are a tall seat and would render lowering moot and put it right back where it was for a short guy. About the lowering. it didn't ruin the handling once I lowered front fork tubes 3/8 inch. Then was right back where it was when I first got it. No, the handling wasn't light to me it was sweet! Like my old Tridents were. Ride one and I betcha you'll like it too.
You do realize that you are drawing a conclusion about BMW build quality based one just one model, and that model is the most complex motorcycle BMW had made up to that point. I think the LT is the most troublesome bike BMW ever made. If you read the R or K1600 forums, you see far fewer problems with those models than with the LT. So, I think it is unwise to judge BMW by solely the LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #27 of 33 Old Yesterday, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You do realize that you are drawing a conclusion about BMW build quality based one just one model, and that model is the most complex motorcycle BMW had made up to that point. I think the LT is the most troublesome bike BMW ever made. If you read the R or K1600 forums, you see far fewer problems with those models than with the LT. So, I think it is unwise to judge BMW by solely the LT.
I would guess the problematic magnitude of the LT is comparable to the one a Trophy would have to offer an owner.

I looked at the LT a looong while back and the my inquiry showed it was a quirk nest. That's what I experienced with a Trophy.
Someone just posted a great deal on a Trophy with about 11k...that, to me, sounded like a dumping...but you know, I could be wrong...'m just saying I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole.

...maybe I am too happy with my RT
post #28 of 33 Old Today, 6:46 pm

I'll stick with the old adage, once burned, twice shy. There is some truth in the fact the lt was a complicated bike. i watched a video a while back by a BMW mechanic and how he explained how much was built into the design of the LT rhat wasn't a good thing. It's like I said, a love/hate affair. great when it runs and gets you there not worth your time when it sits. Wethead you can have your watercooled opposed twin. Maybe it is a logical conclusion to the air heads but still not a bike I want to ride anymore than you want to ride the TTSE. Different strokes for different folks. I was really wanting to ride a K1600 but then Honda came out with the new Goldwing with and autotrans and that seems like the bike I could fall in love with my messed up left foot. In the meantime I have the TTSE and the AE FJR 1300 to keep me up on 2 wheels till I could afford the new Honda. Shiney side up!

Brian A. Brodhead

post #29 of 33 Old Today, 6:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I'll stick with the old adage, once burned, twice shy. There is some truth in the fact the lt was a complicated bike. i watched a video a while back by a BMW mechanic and how he explained how much was built into the design of the LT rhat wasn't a good thing. It's like I said, a love/hate affair. great when it runs and gets you there not worth your time when it sits. Wethead you can have your watercooled opposed twin. Maybe it is a logical conclusion to the air heads but still not a bike I want to ride anymore than you want to ride the TTSE. Different strokes for different folks. I was really wanting to ride a K1600 but then Honda came out with the new Goldwing with and autotrans and that seems like the bike I could fall in love with my messed up left foot. In the meantime I have the TTSE and the AE FJR 1300 to keep me up on 2 wheels till I could afford the new Honda. Shiney side up!

I thought the same about the new Wing ... until my wife and I took a 100 mile test ride at the CCR reunion in Russellville. We came back and we both had the same opinion - no way. Too many shortcomings compared to the LT, or even the K1600s, particularly the GA. Now, if you are only a solo rider, the Wing would have enough storage capacity. It still has the too small 5.5 gallon fuel tank (what were they thinking? My KLR650 has 6 gallons!) and horrendously uncomfortable seats, but at least the seats are easily fixed. Making the gas tank larger is a little more involved. And the nav system is laughable. It has about the same capability that Garmin had 15 years ago. Again, that is easily fixed by adding a Garmin as Cruiseman and other Wingnuts have done.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 33 Old Today, 7:23 pm

Quote:

Quote:
I thought the same about the new Wing ... until my wife and I took a 100 mile test ride at the CCR reunion in Russellville. We came back and we both had the same opinion - no way. Too many shortcomings compared to the LT, or even the K1600s, particularly the GA. Now, if you are only a solo rider, the Wing would have enough storage capacity. It still has the too small 5.5 gallon fuel tank (what were they thinking? My KLR650 has 6 gallons!) and horrendously uncomfortable seats, but at least the seats are easily fixed. Making the gas tank larger is a little more involved. And the nav system is laughable. It has about the same capability that Garmin had 15 years ago. Again, that is easily fixed by adding a Garmin as Cruiseman and other Wingnuts have done.

I even had a down payment on the auto-trans Wing. That was because the year before I rode a 2015 GL cross country and I forgot how well them things travel compared to other tourers.

However, the first thing I had to do was put another 1500 bucks worth of Traxxion front end (it was actually more than than) in order to eliminate the dreadful GL infamous wobble. This was the second Wing I did that to.

Here comes the new Wing with the fork-shaped front end ala K16 and it also had some quirks worth 2k to repair at Traxxion again; along with, a lot of complains about the GPS not having enough mem, not android compatible instead with that car-play thingie and plenty of whining about the smaller luggage.

I say to myself: self, lets go back to an RT. And thus, a 2018.

I don't really enjoy writing negative things about bikes, but if I was on the other end I would have wanted someone to share with me their experience either way they went.

Last Summer I only had a chance to ride the 2018 for about a month and half and to this day, I think it is the best bike I ever owned.

I am gonna assume the new Wings with auto trans and so on are probably even smoother that ever and more comfy than the RT; however, I was not gonna put in another 2k into a brand new Wing because Honda does know how to make front end...flock that sheet
post #31 of 33 Old Today, 8:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I even had a down payment on the auto-trans Wing. That was because the year before I rode a 2015 GL cross country and I forgot how well them things travel compared to other tourers.

However, the first thing I had to do was put another 1500 bucks worth of Traxxion front end (it was actually more than than) in order to eliminate the dreadful GL infamous wobble. This was the second Wing I did that to.

Here comes the new Wing with the fork-shaped front end ala K16 and it also had some quirks worth 2k to repair at Traxxion again; along with, a lot of complains about the GPS not having enough mem, not android compatible instead with that car-play thingie and plenty of whining about the smaller luggage.

I say to myself: self, lets go back to an RT. And thus, a 2018.

I don't really enjoy writing negative things about bikes, but if I was on the other end I would have wanted someone to share with me their experience either way they went.

Last Summer I only had a chance to ride the 2018 for about a month and half and to this day, I think it is the best bike I ever owned.

I am gonna assume the new Wings with auto trans and so on are probably even smoother that ever and more comfy than the RT; however, I was not gonna put in another 2k into a brand new Wing because Honda does know how to make front end...flock that sheet
Well, I have watched almost all of Max’s videos about the new Wing, and with the exception of the helmet lock video, I think that he is making much ado about nothing. I have ridden my LT 12 years (the last three of which on Wilburs front and rear suspension units) and rented K1600 GTLs three times in Europe and the UK so I am fairly familiar with competent suspensions. The stock Wing suspension is plenty competent for normal touring use. Now, I did not get up to high speeds with hit, probably 80 MPH was the highest I got as I was riding mostly on the twisty roads in Arkansas, but the Wing handled plenty fine two-up and was composed even on some rough and twisty roads.

Sure, you can make the front end buck if you whack the throttle open and closed with proper timing, but you can do the same with a K1600 GTL and it is probably even worse as it has a lot more power and faster throttle response than the Wing. The suspension is the least of the Wings problems. I get Max’s videos. He sells suspensions for crying out loud. Does anyone really think he is going to come out and say “The new Wing’s suspension is just fine for almost all riders and there is absolutely no need to buy my products?” When I saw the gymnastics he was doing and the wild speculations he was making to try to show flaws in the Wing front suspension, I suspected that he was full of it and my test ride confirmed it. I would have no issue with the stock Wing suspension for anything short of a track day.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #32 of 33 Old Today, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Well, I have watched almost all of Max’s videos about the new Wing, and with the exception of the helmet lock video, I think that he is making much ado about nothing. I have ridden my LT 12 years (the last three of which on Wilburs front and rear suspension units) and rented K1600 GTLs three times in Europe and the UK so I am fairly familiar with competent suspensions. The stock Wing suspension is plenty competent for normal touring use. Now, I did not get up to high speeds with hit, probably 80 MPH was the highest I got as I was riding mostly on the twisty roads in Arkansas, but the Wing handled plenty fine two-up and was composed even on some rough and twisty roads.

Sure, you can make the front end buck if you whack the throttle open and closed with proper timing, but you can do the same with a K1600 GTL and it is probably even worse as it has a lot more power and faster throttle response than the Wing. The suspension is the least of the Wings problems. I get Max’s videos. He sells suspensions for crying out loud. Does anyone really think he is going to come out and say “The new Wing’s suspension is just fine for almost all riders and there is absolutely no need to buy my products?” When I saw the gymnastics he was doing and the wild speculations he was making to try to show flaws in the Wing front suspension, I suspected that he was full of it and my test ride confirmed it. I would have no issue with the stock Wing suspension for anything short of a track day.

Well if you know more about suspension issues than Max, and your test-ride superseded Max's mechanical analysis of the flaws on the Wing's forks, then, lets just leave at that: you proved me wrong.

I 'll add: The K16 was suffering from front fork sticktion at least until 2015 from its maiden vogaye in 2012. I was riding my 2015 from Diego to Seattle, coming from Brooklyn, and half way there started with that well documented squeaking...soon afterward the front end started weaving at speeds over 60, certainly at 80. That was the year I drove it right in to the Tigard BMW and trade it for a 2016RT.

You said you rented a K16, and rode the Wing to achieve your convictions that there was nothing wrong with neither's suspension. I am going on from now on as standing corrected based on your amazingly substantiated references that both Max's analysis and my experience are completely wrong.

Thank you for setting me straight brother.
post #33 of 33 Old Today, 10:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well if you know more about suspension issues than Max, and your test-ride superseded Max's mechanical analysis of the flaws on the Wing's forks, then, lets just leave at that: you proved me wrong.

I 'll add: The K16 was suffering from front fork sticktion at least until 2015 from its maiden vogaye in 2012. I was riding my 2015 from Diego to Seattle, coming from Brooklyn, and half way there started with that well documented squeaking...soon afterward the front end started weaving at speeds over 60, certainly at 80. That was the year I drove it right in to the Tigard BMW and trade it for a 2016RT.

You said you rented a K16, and rode the Wing to achieve your convictions that there was nothing wrong with neither's suspension. I am going on from now on as standing corrected based on your amazingly substantiated references that both Max's analysis and my experience are completely wrong.

Thank you for setting me straight brother.
I did not say they could not be improved. I said they are fine for normal touring and certainly the new Wing suspension is nothing close to the disaster that Max claims in his videos. Read the many road tests of the new Wing and see how few complain about the stock suspension. I haven’t seen anyone raise anything close to the “issues” that Max claims.

It sounded like you had not even ridden the new Wing. If you haven’t, I’m simply suggesting you ride it first before saying it needs $2,000 of suspension work. If I were to buy a new Wing, I would ride it 50,000 or so miles and then replace the suspension when it began to get tired. I don’t think 5% of Wing riders will ride their Wing hard enough to notice any significant deficiencies in the stock suspension. Sure, Yellow Wolf would probably want some upgrades, but how many Wing riders ride their bikes like he does? And how many rhythmically whack the throttle open and closed like Max does?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in