• 1 Post By Lynn_Keen
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old Apr 28th, 2019, 5:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Helmet holder

Has anyone tried this helmet holder on their LT? Given that the license plate is somewhat recessed on the LT, I am wondering if two FF helmets can get close enough to this holder to be attached.

I realize that the security of it is marginal, but it at least should prevent the casual “grab and dash” theft.

https://www.nationalcycle.com/z5505a.html

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 2:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Helmet holder

I have a friend that has an RT with a helmet lock that looks like that and I'd considered buying one for my LT, but sold it. The only concern I had was that the helmets would be lock very low on the bike and I thought they would be more prone to getting dirtier at that location. i have the bar end locks on my GTLE, but haven't really used it much and they don't work well with the Neotec II helmets, as they don't have D-rings.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 5:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Has anyone tried this helmet holder on their LT? Given that the license plate is somewhat recessed on the LT, I am wondering if two FF helmets can get close enough to this holder to be attached.

I realize that the security of it is marginal, but it at least should prevent the casual “grab and dash” theft.

I ended up using a 4 foot cable and lock. It was handy for my helmet and jacket, but I rarely use either. Most of the time I put my helmet in my side bag.

I still can't imagine anyone taking someones worn motorcycle helmet! I keep mine pretty clean with a "Silky" but still would not want someones used helmet.
Hfjeff likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 7:09 am

Between my helmet and the Sena 30 K attached to it I have an investment of around $1,000. When I get off my bike the helmet comes with me.
mondrage and kbob12 like this.
post #5 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 7:15 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I ended up using a 4 foot cable and lock. It was handy for my helmet and jacket, but I rarely use either. Most of the time I put my helmet in my side bag.

I still can't imagine anyone taking someones worn motorcycle helmet! I keep mine pretty clean with a "Silky" but still would not want someones used helmet.
I put mine in the top case when riding locally solo, but my main issue is when my wife and I are traveling. Then our cases are stuffed to the gills and we have two helmets. I hate carrying my helmet when visiting museums, national parks, etc., but have done so several times. About half the places we visit will store our gear near the visitor desk, but many places tell us that they either have no space or can’t for “liability” reasons.

For short stops at restaurants, we leave our helmets plugged into the intercom and just rest them on the seat and throw our jackets over them to help ensure they don’t fall off. However, for longer visits where we aren’t within sight of the bike, I’d rather not do that, although we have in certain parts of the country.

I am not worried so much about the helmet as I am the intercoms. I am not even sure I can buy the BMW compatible headsets any longer. I think J&M stopped selling them as did BMW. So, if one of my helmets was stolen, I would likely have to switch to BT headsets and they don’t work with my old VOICE II intercom so I would have no access to my radio or CB. My Nav 5 has BT so I could still use that, but I suspect it would be a pain trying to interface BT to my bike VOICE II intercom.

We have been blessed to have never had an issue in many thousand miles of travel in US, Canada and Europe, but I still think it worthwhile to take some precautions.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #6 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 7:17 am

I had one on my LT. It is hard to see from the picture. I used it a handfull of times. I thought it was a little flimsy caused by the weight of the helmets, but it did serve its purpose. I believe that you are mounting it to the plastic anchors which to me is not that strong. Again, I have not had my LT for 9 years, so my memory be be slipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firestik_DS14_FG.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	151313  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 7:19 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
I have a friend that has an RT with a helmet lock that looks like that and I'd considered buying one for my LT, but sold it. The only concern I had was that the helmets would be lock very low on the bike and I thought they would be more prone to getting dirtier at that location. i have the bar end locks on my GTLE, but haven't really used it much and they don't work well with the Neotec II helmets, as they don't have D-rings.
Yes, not the ideal location, but I figure a dirty helmet is better than a stolen helmet.

I am sure one helmet would hook up fine, I am just not sure that two will given the way the BMW side cases extend a little past the license plate plane. I may just risk the $75 and give it a shot, but I can continue to use the cable under the seat method, but that requires raising the seat which is no longer easy with the RDL as it was with the stock seat. Although, I guess since I could add a lock to my kit and then just run the cable through the side case handles, but that is one more thing to have to carry and store.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 7:22 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I had one on my LT. It is hard to see from the picture. I used it a handfull of times. I thought it was a little flimsy caused by the weight of the helmets, but it did serve its purpose. I believe that you are mounting it to the plastic anchors which to me is not that strong. Again, I have not had my LT for 9 years, so my memory be be slipping.
I knew somebody here had to have tried one of these!

Yes, the mounting on the LT is sketchy and I have been looking at ways to reinforce it if I go this route. Do you recall if you ever had two helmets attached to it? That is my main concern given the shape of the LT’s derrière.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 7:24 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Between my helmet and the Sena 30 K attached to it I have an investment of around $1,000. When I get off my bike the helmet comes with me.
Do you just carry it when touring museums and such? I really would not have wanted to carry mine for 4 hours walking through the Barber Museum, but then they had places to store gear unlike many other places we have visited.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 10:34 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

No matter how strong you make it that whole plate, tag and all comes off with two Torx fasteners.
kbob12 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 10:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

I just bought a 4' length of vinyl coated steel cable from Home Depot, made a small loop on each end, covered the bare ends with shrink wrap and secure it with a small Master lock. It goes through the sleeve of our riding jackets, both helmets and locks to the bike. Works great and I believe cost me about $15. It fits in the small side pocket of my SW Motech tank bag.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cable Lock.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	151319  
DanDiver, wethead and Hfjeff like this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 11:32 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
I just bought a 4' length of vinyl coated steel cable from Home Depot, made a small loop on each end, covered the bare ends with shrink wrap and secure it with a small Master lock. It goes through the sleeve of our riding jackets, both helmets and locks to the bike. Works great and I believe cost me about $15. It fits in the small side pocket of my SW Motech tank bag.
I currently use a couple of 2’ long bicycle cables that easily hook over the BMW helmet hook under the seat. They store easily in my side case under my liner bag, but that requires raising the seat. I may just remove the Russell adjuster bolt with its big plastic knob and replace it with a pan head screw trimmed to the right length to position the backrest where I want it. I don’t see a need to adjust it. Once I find the right position it should be set and forget. With a pan head “adjuster” screw, the front seat should lift again reasonably well again.

It just would be convenient to be able to quickly hook the helmets somewhere that would have enough security to prevent the grab and dash style thieves. Nothing you do is going to prevent a determined thief, but most security folks recommend you at least try to slow them down and maybe get them to pick an easier target. I am not sure why BMW can’t provide decent helmet locks on bikes that cost $25+ grand. Although, even Honda forgot how to do helmet locks on the new Wing. They are at least as laughable as the LT system. The helmet locks should activate keylessly as with the other locks on the bike. Should not be a need to carry extra cables, locks or keys in this day and age.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 12:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I currently use a couple of 2’ long bicycle cables that easily hook over the BMW helmet hook under the seat. They store easily in my side case under my liner bag, but that requires raising the seat. I may just remove the Russell adjuster bolt with its big plastic knob and replace it with a pan head screw trimmed to the right length to position the backrest where I want it. I don’t see a need to adjust it. Once I find the right position it should be set and forget. With a pan head “adjuster” screw, the front seat should lift again reasonably well again.

It just would be convenient to be able to quickly hook the helmets somewhere that would have enough security to prevent the grab and dash style thieves. Nothing you do is going to prevent a determined thief, but most security folks recommend you at least try to slow them down and maybe get them to pick an easier target. I am not sure why BMW can’t provide decent helmet locks on bikes that cost $25+ grand. Although, even Honda forgot how to do helmet locks on the new Wing. They are at least as laughable as the LT system. The helmet locks should activate keylessly as with the other locks on the bike. Should not be a need to carry extra cables, locks or keys in this day and age.
I have those bike cables for my bikes, but I like this 4' section because it's thinner and packs much smaller than the bike cables. It certainly wouldn't stop a determined thief, but I'm comfortable no one is going to "grab and go".

Most helmet locks from the past wouldn't work with today's helmets anyway...no D ring. I guess the manufacturers of touring bikes figure if you're that concerned, just plan to lock them up in a side/top case.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #14 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 12:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have those bike cables for my bikes, but I like this 4' section because it's thinner and packs much smaller than the bike cables. It certainly wouldn't stop a determined thief, but I'm comfortable no one is going to "grab and go".

Most helmet locks from the past wouldn't work with today's helmets anyway...no D ring. I guess the manufacturers of touring bikes figure if you're that concerned, just plan to lock them up in a side/top case.
Except they won’t fit in the side and top cases of the new Wing.
powwow likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Do you recall if you ever had two helmets attached to it?
Yes, I have had two helmets attached to it at one time. I agree with others to purchase a 4' cable and strap the helmets somewhere to your bike. You may also be able to run the cable up a jacket sleeve to leave your jacket attached to the bike. I purchased one of these:
https://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...SABEgLgmfD_BwE
Voyager likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #16 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 2:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Like I said previously, I have bar end locks on my GTLE (Lidlox.com), but they apparently don't make them for the LT's. Here's a picture of another cable type lock I have, which can be used to lock your helmet and jacket to the bike. Good luck on your security quest!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lockstraps Cable Lock.pdf (301.8 KB, 34 views)

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #17 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Do you just carry it when touring museums and such? I really would not have wanted to carry mine for 4 hours walking through the Barber Museum, but then they had places to store gear unlike many other places we have visited.
I have to admit I haven't used the bike for touring any great distance. I mostly use it for rides out in the country and lunch at cafes but if I needed to lock it to the bike I would probably just use the helmet hanging point located under the seat.
post #18 of 46 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 9:58 pm

I am blessed to have the original cable for securing helmets to the hook under the seat. The helmets sit quietly on the seat. I do remove the Sena 20S comm units.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #19 of 46 Old Apr 30th, 2019, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
I am blessed to have the original cable for securing helmets to the hook under the seat. The helmets sit quietly on the seat. I do remove the Sena 20S comm units.
I think Voyager may have that cable, but when he changed seats it is making it time consuming to get to the hook under the seat. What was once a 30-second procedure has now turned into three or four minutes, plus the chance to rip the seat.
Voyager and Munmi like this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #20 of 46 Old Apr 30th, 2019, 7:32 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I think Voyager may have that cable, but when he changed seats it is making it time consuming to get to the hook under the seat. What was once a 30-second procedure has now turned into three or four minutes, plus the chance to rip the seat.
Bingo! I lost the original cable, but I have two similar replacements as it is easier to hook up two helmets using two cables rather than one.

It is the RDL seat backrest that raised the issue as it prevents raising of the seat now. They clearly did not test their backrest on an LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #21 of 46 Old May 1st, 2019, 6:37 am

I had one that looked exactly like that here in Australia (no idea what brand). It worked fine with my Nolan helmet but my current Shoei helmet doesn't have a "D" ring, so it sort of became redundant and I ended up taking it off. I think I used it once or twice with two helmets; I was concerned with the amount of weight that would be carrying but it didn't cause any issues. It was more for convenience than anything else and to ensure that the helmets didn't get knocked or blown of the bike seat. Certainly never considered it to be highly secure. Having said that, the locking mechanism seems fairly decent and I guess the average opportunistic thief doesn't know that the whole bracket is only held on by a couple of plastic screws.

Russell Ikin
1970 R60/5
2007 K1200LT
Perth, Western Australia
post #22 of 46 Old May 1st, 2019, 6:44 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reikin View Post
I had one that looked exactly like that here in Australia (no idea what brand). It worked fine with my Nolan helmet but my current Shoei helmet doesn't have a "D" ring, so it sort of became redundant and I ended up taking it off. I think I used it once or twice with two helmets; I was concerned with the amount of weight that would be carrying but it didn't cause any issues. It was more for convenience than anything else and to ensure that the helmets didn't get knocked or blown of the bike seat. Certainly never considered it to be highly secure. Having said that, the locking mechanism seems fairly decent and I guess the average opportunistic thief doesn't know that the whole bracket is only held on by a couple of plastic screws.
Yes, it isn’t that secure in stock form, but the thief would have to carry a T25 driver.

After hearing the feedback here and thinking on it further, I decided to pass on this National Cycle device and just order the Vstream windshield, which will be here soon. I will probably find the comfortable position for my backrest and then remove the RDL adjuster bolt with this large plastic knob and replace with a panhead screw that I can cut to length and then screw tightly against the backrest arm so that nothing extends forward to block the opening of the seat. I can then use my cables as with the stock seat.
bruincounselor likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 46 Old May 1st, 2019, 8:35 am

When I had my LT I fabricated a couple of simple helmet locks. Been awhile and can't seem to find any photos. I'll try to describe what I did.
Using some 1/8 in X 1 in aluminum bar stock I formed two "L" shaped brackets. On the short end of the L I drilled a 1/4 in hole and the long end of the L was formed to fit under the trunk and attach using the bolts that hold the trunk. I then purchased two of those "T" shaped helmet hangers that slip through the D rings on the helmet. I used a small master lock to attach the "T" hangers to the tab on the "L" bracket under the trunk. Worked great, took up 0 storage space and helmet could only be removed by unlocking the hangers.
djmellor likes this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #24 of 46 Old May 1st, 2019, 11:11 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
When I had my LT I fabricated a couple of simple helmet locks. Been awhile and can't seem to find any photos. I'll try to describe what I did.
Using some 1/8 in X 1 in aluminum bar stock I formed two "L" shaped brackets. On the short end of the L I drilled a 1/4 in hole and the long end of the L was formed to fit under the trunk and attach using the bolts that hold the trunk. I then purchased two of those "T" shaped helmet hangers that slip through the D rings on the helmet. I used a small master lock to attach the "T" hangers to the tab on the "L" bracket under the trunk. Worked great, took up 0 storage space and helmet could only be removed by unlocking the hangers.
I like it. I assume you made the long ends long enough to go through both trunk bolts on each side so as to keep the trunk level when it was bolted on top of the aluminum bars.

This will be my plan B if I can’t find a way to raise my seat with the RDL backrest in place. In retrospect, I probably should not have bought the RDL backrest and looked for a Bakup or whatever brand that is that uses the passenger seat bolts rather than sliding into a pocket in the passenger seat.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 46 Old May 2nd, 2019, 8:08 am

Quote:
I like it. I assume you made the long ends long enough to go through both trunk bolts on each side so as to keep the trunk level when it was bolted on top of the aluminum bars.

This will be my plan B if I can’t find a way to raise my seat with the RDL backrest in place. In retrospect, I probably should not have bought the RDL backrest and looked for a Bakup or whatever brand that is that uses the passenger seat bolts rather than sliding into a pocket in the passenger seat.
Assumption correct. Make it long enough to use both bolts.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #26 of 46 Old May 2nd, 2019, 10:14 am

Helmet holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post

There are always people out to cause harm. Even if they won’t wear the helmet.
Or just thieves. And that’s what thieves do.

Any of my helmets with the comms are over $1,000. So, they’re coming with me.
I used to have a cable lock , but was always anxious. Afraid someone might just cut the strap to take the helmet.
So, I always take them with me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #27 of 46 Old May 2nd, 2019, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Well, looks like the backrest itself interferes with the seat even with the knob removed so replacing the adjuster with a panhead screw won’t work. The only way the seat will clear the backrest is if the backrest in pretty much in its most rearward position which makes it useless for riding. So, on to plan B. I need to take some measurements to see how long a piece of bar stock I need to make the Lynn Keen helmet holders.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5FC01B97-922C-4461-8160-7618425E55C7.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	151349  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 46 Old May 2nd, 2019, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You say “formed to fit under the trunk.” It has been a while since I had my case off. Did the bar stock have to be curved or bent a few times to conform? You probably don’t remember how long the bar stock was before you formed it? I was hoping to pick up some before I have to remove the trunk, but maybe easier to do that and take a look before buying the parts.

I’m thinking about buying a couple of Lidlox and bolt them to the end of the bars so that I don’t have to carry loose locks along.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 46 Old May 3rd, 2019, 7:10 am

Garage

Quote:

Voyager, I have this exact set of locks on my '01 LT and they hold 2 FF helmets just fine. My current helmet has a longer strap on the buckle side so I don't need the "T" extender but I always have a couple JIC.
post #30 of 46 Old May 3rd, 2019, 9:19 am

Voyager. I installed that same helmet lock on my 2001 lt. The torx screws are torx security and mine are mounted under the license plate so you would have to remove the tag then the lock mount plate... Too much work for a helmet thief. It does work well. My wife and I have ridden almost 30,000 miles in the last two years. We always use the lock unless it is raining. Not sure where the dirt comment comes in. Can't move the bike with the helmets there. They can touch the tire.
I did bend the lock mounts in toward each other a little bit to make the helmets easier to take on and off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1556892412877148827702_1556892454408.jpg
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	151351  
post #31 of 46 Old May 3rd, 2019, 9:47 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I appreciate the replies gentlemen. Unfortunately, I already ordered the LidLox and plan to make mounts a la those made by Mr. Keen. It will be a little more work, but they will be easier to access and a lot more secure, although I tend to agree that the security of the National Cycle unit is more than adequate to prevent casual theft. A serious thief will get the helmets no matter what.

Having the locks right under the top case also has the advantage of not having to bend this old body over quite so far to access the helmet holders. This gets more important every year!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #32 of 46 Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

Quote:
This is kind of what I use: except mine is a red (pinkish) trigger-lock cable for my gun. I have it rapped around my handlebar extension; and I hardly ever used it.

my technique is to strip my helmet of all the Shoei stickers, let it get dirty, including black grease spots and all. I also typically slap some reflective stickers which make the helmet look even cheaper and more ugly...and I typically leave on the handlebars with the inside of the helmet facing down, windshield covering it to keep it dry inside in case it rains. So far, thanks be to God, no one has stolen my helmet
post #33 of 46 Old May 5th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Garage

Image from Lidlox site:

Is it just me, or does this turn your bike into a public garbage can?
Seems like you are begging passersby to drop their Starbucks cups in there!

Doug B.
2000 LT purchased July 2013
post #34 of 46 Old May 5th, 2019, 7:31 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb131 View Post
Image from Lidlox site:

I would not hang my helmet that direction. I would turn it with the opening towards the bike. This would help address the potential problem you pointed out and would also make it less likely to have a breeze bang the helmet shell against your paint. I would rather than the trimmed edge of the helmet opening against my tank rather than the hard shell.

Kind of reminds me of the old John Wayne line: “Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you are stupid.”.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #35 of 46 Old May 5th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb131 View Post
Image from Lidlox site:

If water gets hard to come by, and it starts to rain, its a good collector source for water. You go inside the convenient store and stay out of the rain, then when you come out you have lots of water...hopefully not from acid rain though.

Forgive me Lord, I just couldn't help myself
post #36 of 46 Old May 6th, 2019, 8:24 am

Quote:
You say “formed to fit under the trunk.” It has been a while since I had my case off. Did the bar stock have to be curved or bent a few times to conform? You probably don’t remember how long the bar stock was before you formed it? I was hoping to pick up some before I have to remove the trunk, but maybe easier to do that and take a look before buying the parts.

I’m thinking about buying a couple of Lidlox and bolt them to the end of the bars so that I don’t have to carry loose locks along.
Sorry for the late response. Anyway, as I recall the long section of the bracket that goes under the trunk is flat with no additional bends. And, your right, don't remember the dimensions. I simply left the small locks attached to the hangers when not in use.No need to store them loosely and have to search for them.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #37 of 46 Old May 6th, 2019, 9:47 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Sorry for the late response. Anyway, as I recall the long section of the bracket that goes under the trunk is flat with no additional bends. And, your right, don't remember the dimensions. I simply left the small locks attached to the hangers when not in use.No need to store them loosely and have to search for them.
It looks like about 10” are needed under the trunk from what I could measure with a small stick. And then add another 1.5” or so for the bend and short leg and probably a 12” piece will just about do it. I decided to wait until my Lidlox arrive (today according to the USPS) and look at them before buying the stock. Looks like this will be a pretty slick setup. The only downside is the need to carry another set of keys. However, I think I may keep the keys in the top case where they are easy to get to and less likely to be left at home. I sure wish BMW would include a decent set of helmet locks on their touring bikes that were locked and unlocked electrically as with the cases. Probably never happen...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #38 of 46 Old May 6th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
If water gets hard to come by, and it starts to rain, its a good collector source for water. You go inside the convenient store and stay out of the rain, then when you come out you have lots of water...hopefully not from acid rain though.

Forgive me Lord, I just couldn't help myself
Hey wethead - It's interesting that you would say this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #39 of 46 Old May 6th, 2019, 7:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I wanted to keep my helmets higher so I added some mounts. I do need to use the helmet lock tees with my Nolan. I just pull my Sena and put it in my pocket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190506_041001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	151421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190506_040942.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	802.8 KB
ID:	151423   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190506_041023.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	151425  

2002 KT1200LT
post #40 of 46 Old May 13th, 2019, 12:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Got started on the Keene style helmet holder today. I decided to exchange the 1” wide stock for 1.5” to have more meat around the 3/4” holes I will be drilling in them to clear the spacers on the top case. I am still awaiting an Amazon order with tools and aluminum spacer washers I need, but I decided to at least try the bends today as that is what I was most worried about going wrong.

I heated the metal quite a while with a propane torch and then bent it in a vice with some moderate hammer taps to control the bend radius. The aluminum softened and bent relatively well with no visible cracking. I think I will try to harden it once I finish the drilling and tapping operations. Then again, even in its somewhat annealed state, it is likely plenty strong enough.

I bent the metal at an angle to try to match somewhat the contour of the rear of the LT. I plan to taper the exposed part of the metal and thus can make the vertical part plumb on both sides by cutting off a little metal. I am still debating whether to leave the bend the full 1.5” width and just taper the sides of the short vertical parts or cut the vertical parts down to maybe 1” wide up through the bend and then taper the top part out to 1.5” under the back of the top case. The former would be a little stronger, but the latter likely would be better aesthetically.

Speaking of aesthetics, I do need to get some soft jaw covers for my vise to get rid of those vise marks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51654F84-51C9-4F5B-85F5-28767A4D6111.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	151535   Click image for larger version

Name:	E94CF21D-11BF-4DE6-BEC3-AC16F3EB8212.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	775.6 KB
ID:	151537   Click image for larger version

Name:	021B3722-825A-4FB6-AC77-D8B88617C9E5.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	151539   Click image for larger version

Name:	3312D2DD-8CA0-4814-B858-6E4CDACF5105.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	965.8 KB
ID:	151541  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #41 of 46 Old May 13th, 2019, 4:10 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Ordered 5 mm drill bits, 6 mm tap and Uni-bit from Amazon last Friday. Of course, broke into two shipments. The drills were not scheduled to arrive until Wednesday via USPS. Tap and Uni-bit supposed to arrive today between 1 and 5 PM.

Drill bits arrive at 1:00 in today’s mail. Tap and Uni-bit yet to arrive at 5:07. Go figure!

Got the pieces cut to length ... on the second try. I erred on the long side as it is hard to measure since everything is curved on the rear of the LT so not good reference points, and they were about 1/4” long once I get them roughly in position. I could not test them until I cut both bent ends off the 36” bar. They look pretty good after the second cut. I have the drill reference lines in place and the vertical lines for shaping the short legs, but don’t want to invest any work in that part until the long legs are drilled and fit OK. If I have to scrap a piece, I want to scrap as little work as possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	97AC5322-E7CB-4C2F-BFC5-66496BE49458.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	151543   Click image for larger version

Name:	99890AB7-9CE7-41F6-B32C-5B9F4796274F.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	151545  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #42 of 46 Old Yesterday, 11:42 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

UPS finally delivered around 6:30 so I was ready this morning with all parts and tools.

I bought some aluminum washers to use as spacers. I thought I might need two, but it appears that enough of the spacer extends through my aluminum bar such that I will have enough clearance with just one, although I may still need two to get the bars to sit level and not tilt along the slope of the plastic cover over the rear of the LT.

I drilled the large rear hole and confirmed it fit over the spacer with not much play. I then put a scribe through the front hole of the top case and with the rear hole over the spacer, swing the front to make an arc to locate the front holes and then drilled those. All went well and the bars fit over both spacers with very little slop. It may be a little trick to get this assembled with the bars and washers all being loose. If I had a TIG welder, I might try tacking the washers to the bars, but then the weld bead might interfere with the fit.

I then drilled two more holes to provide clearance for the bolt heads holding down the plastic cover, drilled and tapped the two 6 mm holes for the LidLox and then cut and filed the short legs to make them close to symmetrical. Finally, some sanding and cleanup and on to paint. Now just need to let the paint dry and see if I can get all of the parts to stay in place while I bolt it down. I am hoping the stock bolts are long enough with the additional space created by the washers.

Once I confirm fit, I think I will take some two-sided tape and stick the helmet holder bars to the plastic so that I can remove the top case without having to mess with the bars and washers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E0DD1B54-8793-4EC3-BB36-41F2BFBF2DE0.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	151559   Click image for larger version

Name:	9968E517-11FE-4104-A2F8-EB7890DCFAC9.jpeg
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	151561   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB649C8D-E4F5-4513-A317-800CE7FBEC79.jpeg
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	151563   Click image for larger version

Name:	ED9D142C-BE96-41FB-BC35-5A7B20BB5BAB.jpg
Size:	801.3 KB
ID:	151565   Click image for larger version

Name:	A762DD85-5CFC-43D9-A7BE-2590521A5408.jpeg
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	151567  

Name:	625383FF-B3CA-47BF-9A1E-2CB2EF5FCA3C.jpeg
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	151569   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADCF87F6-1BE6-4FF9-B76A-6FCF4B1F4D0D.jpeg
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	151571  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #43 of 46 Old Yesterday, 3:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Looking good Matt. Can't wait to see the final product installed.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #44 of 46 Old Yesterday, 10:17 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

All done. It was getting late so I didn’t do a test with two helmets, but looks like it should work fine. The washers under the trunk left the bars loose and gave only 2.5 rotations of the trunk bolts after thread engagement. So, I removed the washers letting the trunk set where it was stock. I suspect the bars may be hitting the plastic around the trunk spacers a little, but hopefully not enough to cause problems and I got a good 5 threads of bolt engagement which I much prefer.

The only thing I would do differently is place the short legs another 3/8” closer to the bike. I think that would still leave room to get the nut on the Lidlox bolt. I loctited both the bolt in the aluminum as well as the nut so it would not be easy to remove. I am glad I went with 1.5” stock as it is still plenty springy on the cantilever.

The short bolts Matt @ Lidlox provided were the perfect length just about flush with the Nylock nuts he also threw in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8B468CE8-D762-45BF-AE15-D2623C9B6066.jpeg
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	151587   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7867231-0809-4E03-8EFA-9EB79C67989B.jpeg
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	151589   Click image for larger version

Name:	7530E96B-7FBF-4611-80C6-2AB83FE979A3.jpeg
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	151591  
mtrevelino and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #45 of 46 Old Today, 8:45 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It looks very good Matt, just wish I could do that for my helmets but the Shoei Neotec, like the Shuberth, have no D rings.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #46 of 46 Old Today, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
It looks very good Matt, just wish I could do that for my helmets but the Shoei Neotec, like the Shuberth, have no D rings.
Agreed, a good job but I now have the same issue as you with my new helmet. I followed suit with Jan and Al and got a retractable cable lock where I can tether through the visor opening to the handle bars also protecting an easy walk off with my GPS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0171.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	151599  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in