Paint Formula Ocean Blue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Paint Formula Ocean Blue

Can anyone give me the paint formula for 2005 LT Ocean Blue? I think the color code is 947. My body shop cannot find that code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:24 am

And for Dark Graphite, please while you are at it...

I would even be happy with the paint number of both the main color (Dark Graphite) and the same for the dash and lower fairing silver or gold or whatever that tone is.

The paint color code should be somewhere under the seat, but I must have covered it with all the fuse blocks and add-on wiring...

Not intending to hijack a thread ;-)...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Paint code for Dark Graphite

I found the paint codes for all three of the 2005 LT's.

Ocean Blue Metallic 948
Dark Graphite Metallic 919
Light Yellow Metallic 376

The only thing my paint shop does not show the Ocean Blue code 948. They can not come up with a formula to mix the paint. They have called several places. I called Chicago BMW they gave me the same paint code but no formula.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 1:29 pm

A good paint shop should be able to match the paint if you have some. I got a tube of touch up from the BMW dealer. If you need more than a touch up tube get one of the tubes and paint something for the paint to stick to and take that down to a paint shop. They should be able to match it that way.
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 2:45 pm

Thanks Jerry for the paint code.

Would you by chance also know the light gold color of the dash and lower fairings?

If it is hard to find, don't bother. My dealer said that the main color code (919 in my case) should be the key for the second color as well.

So you have already helped me a lot...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #6 of 12 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 4:59 pm
Gold Supporter

Smile Paint matching for the LT

My 05 LT is the graphite with lower region a kind-of gray/silver. I have also gone to a local automotive aint shop in the Puget Sound region (Seattle) and have explored what it would take to purchase both colors for touch-up work or painting helmets or whatever. Here is what I encountered and what I have done to engage the problem:

First, the LT is painted with Glasurite. The formulations for the graphite and the lower bike region are different, not just due to color, and also involve an additional step with the lower color. Just to get set up to 'shoot' Glasurite would be cost prohibitive (in excess of $1k). Also, the catalyst has a shelf life of only two weeks. Paint shops frequently applying Glasurite can absorb the initial cost of purchasing all the components required and also absorb the on-going costs since this paint is OEM on a number of European vehicles and costs of continuing operation are passed on to the consumer.

As an alternative, the local paint shop took digital photos (using their instrument)of the upper and lower region of my LT and formulated the pigmented paint accordingly. The clear coat for both colors is the same. PPG is the paint company and they have what they call a 'European' line of paint which is purportedly a real good match to OEM Glasurite at a fraction of the cost. Even so, i walked away with a bill slightly over $300 which included a very pricey reducer, etc. I am planning this winter to use both paints on an experimental basis to see how well they match the OEM paint...some adjusting may result until the right tonation is achieved. Once this is achieved, quarts (minimum) can be purchased. The PPG catalyst shelf life, once the container is opened, is also two weeks. I have the formulation at home for both colors (I'm at work). I would be willing to share this information on the paint formulations if anyone chooses to PM me.

NOTE: I am also going to experiment with using a product called 'Bloxygen', available from Woodworker's Supply of New Mexico. This is a pressurized cannister which is filled with, I believe, Nitrogen or Argon??????. I build high-end furniture. Once paint containers are opened, the nozzle of the aerosol is poked down into the opened paint container, the lid is kept mostly on, and two to five seconds burst of gas is inserted, the aerosol is rapidly removed, and the lid secured. The theory is to replace the oxygen with an inert atmosphere, thus, reducing oxidation/aging of the paint. I don't know if this will prolong the life of the catalyst...we'll see.

Terry
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 9:54 pm

2005 Lower Fairing band dash trim paint

Hi;

The online parts fiche at Max BMW shows the '05 trim colour as Magnesium. It is available as a touch up stick or as a spray can. The colour code seems to be 957, I thought I might get a spray can or two and try to match the BMR shelf (black) to the dash trim colour.

51 91 7 682 569 Spray can

51 91 7 682 564 Touch-up stick
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:01 pm

This site http://bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/blues.htm lists the Ocean Blue as used on the KLT as 054/948.
I think the 054 is an alternate number relating to cars as this site http://forums.eurocca.net/printthread.php?t=5636 shows.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 1st, 2005, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Match Paint

Thanks for the replies on the paint codes. I was thinking about buying a used Corbin Smuggler and painting it to match my bike. If I do the paint shop says they can scan a part on my bike and match it. Has anyone had this done and if so does it match real close? I may just purchase a new smuggler already painted to match. This may be the best.

Jerry
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:01 am

Just a reply to all of you above:

My dealer was clever enough to locate spray can kits (paint + lacquer) of both Dark Graphite (919) and Magnesium ( 957).
Part numbers for them 519176825-55 for 919
and -63 (different code than HammerStar found!) for 957.

The cost over here was 20 Euros (24usd) per set.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #11 of 12 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:29 am

got it

Thanks again for all your help. I have the code now.
Take care, ride safe...........Papadorf
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:58 pm

For Future Reference

We had one of the kids cars in the shop where some dummy backed into his door. We got to talking about custom paint jobs and finding a new red coat for Red Rover. He asked who the manufacturer of the bike was. When I told him and he said, "We have all the BMW standard colors as we paint everything with Speis Hecker. It seems that Speis Hecker is manufacturer of the paints BMW uses on their cars and bikes. So I said all this just for future reference.

Cheers.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in