Starting with Battery Connect (even without key) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Starting with Battery Connect (even without key)

My 1999 LT with 106,000 miles sat for about 8 months while I was recovering from a bad decision. Unfortunately, the battery remained connected and died during the sit. I tried to jump it off my truck, but the battery is apparently totally dead, or I didn't wait long enough before trying to start it and the starter motor problem surfaced (only when connected to my truck). I just bought a new battery. Now when I try to connect the battery, the starter motor kicks in (even with the key out). If I connect the battery when the key is in the "on" position, the motorcycle starts and makes a terrible sound like the starter is still turning. I only did this for a second or two and shut it off (disconnected the battery). My best guess is the starter solenoid is stuck/welded in the closed position. So, where is it (on the starter motor, or is there another remote relay)? Is that the consensus, and if so what steps to take for repair?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC080018.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	151291  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 27th, 2019, 8:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Starting with Battery Connect (even without key)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJeep View Post
My 1999 LT with 106,000 miles sat for about 8 months while I was recovering from a bad decision. Unfortunately, the battery remained connected and died during the sit. I tried to jump it off my truck, but the battery is apparently totally dead, or I didn't wait long enough before trying to start it and the starter motor problem surfaced (only when connected to my truck). I just bought a new battery. Now when I try to connect the battery, the starter motor kicks in (even with the key out). If I connect the battery when the key is in the "on" position, the motorcycle starts and makes a terrible sound like the starter is still turning. I only did this for a second or two and shut it off (disconnected the battery). My best guess is the starter solenoid is stuck/welded in the closed position. So, where is it (on the starter motor, or is there another remote relay)? Is that the consensus, and if so what steps to take for repair?
I suspect you are correct and had the original relay that lacked the low voltage protection circuit. I am pretty sure the relay is under the gas tank on the right side with the rest of the electronic components.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 27th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Yes, Matt is correct. The relay is in the electrics box under the tank on the right side. The OEM relay that is subject to fusing on a low battery start is black. There is a retrofit that was on I believe USA 02 models and newer that has a low voltage cut out circuit built in so it won't crank if the batter voltage is low saving the relay from fusing. It is more expensive to do the retrofit but it will prevent this from happening again which could happen with the OEM black relay. I went ahead and installed the retrofit kit to remove that as a possibility for me. You will see that in my picture the relay is blue indicating the new style over black, the OEM for that year.

Retrofit kit BMW ONLY includes wiring harness for new style relay.
01 61 35 7 663 945 SET: RETROFIT KIT, STARTER MODULE (to 05/01) 0.24 1 $229.07

Pretty sure this is the OEM for the K1200LT as well but I couldn't find it on the MAX BMW site to verify the part number.
Euro motorlrctrics OEM standard relay After market and also EME branded $59 -$79

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/St...p/rel-k008.htm

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/pr...rel-k008oe.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02195A.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	613.0 KB
ID:	151297   Click image for larger version

Name:	61357663945_1_B.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	151299  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 27th, 2019, 10:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Some times you can "unstick it" by hitting the starter button as you hold the cable on the battery. The flexing of the relay armature may break up the stuck contacts. If it does I would recommend replacing as soon as possible as it may re-weld itself again. Others have left it in place and used the output of that damaged relay to drive an old Ford relay to handle the load of the starter.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in