EHCS rebuilt- almost - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By HOGnDAS
  • 2 Post By HOGnDAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 26th, 2019, 10:01 am Thread Starter

EHCS rebuilt- almost

So with the help of the videos and and threads, old and new, I managed to get my EHCS rebuilt. I only destroyed one wiper seal in the process so I'm feeling pretty good. I managed to get 130cc into the unit( I have no idea where you could put more). Since I don't have a spare battery I am unable to cycle the unit to test it. I pushed the plunger in manually to see if it was working. It works but not well. I think there is air in the unit but I don't know how to bleed it out without taking the chance of putting too much fluid in and causing damage. When pushing the plunger in I meet low resistance until about half way and then it gets harder to push in. It also makes noise as the rod returns to it's starting position. As I said I think there is air in there and I don't know how to bleed it out. Do I just drain all the fluid and start again? Go buy a battery so I can make it cycle through? Give up and use the center stand the "manly" way? All help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 26th, 2019, 1:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: EHCS rebuilt- almost

It should move with a little resistance if you push the rod into the unit but it should move all the way in (there will be about 4 inches left when it bottoms out) and it makes swirling noises as it move in and out. You do not want all the air out or you will break the housing under power. No more than 140-145 ml. You can just strip some wire, poke it into the connector (red is + brown is -) and run it off a car (or bike) battery to test it. Just hold it so all the little ports (4 mm) are facing up and the unit is horizontal. I do all my filling from the big 19 mm spigot at the end of the unit don't use the 4 mm ports as they are easy to strip.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 26th, 2019, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 26th, 2019, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

oK so I hooked it up to the battery on the bike and it worked. Once. Now the motor works but the rod doesn't move. What's next? Thanks
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 26th, 2019, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

I guess the EHCS just needed some more love. I took it apart again and double checked my work. I decided to pull the motor off and check the o ring (should have left that one alone). Wasn't paying attention and pulled the motor Apart instead of off. Insert favorite swear words here. Fortunately I did take the advice of the Big Wrenches on this forum and had an extra on the shelf. Got it all back together and filled with fluid. Did a test with the battery on the bike and it works. Tested it again and it still works. Ima happy guy! Goes back on the bike tomorrow. Don't want to push my luck.
cws likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Well it's all back together and working. I'm glad I went with the new motor. Much quieter. No leaks and a very smooth operation.
cws and Voyager like this.
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 10:31 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Hooray!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in