Another K1200LT radio problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Question Another K1200LT radio problem

Like many other posts, my radio has stopped working.

After setting over the winter and a couple of charges and battery tender sessions, I got it out and started her (2005 K1200LT) up. Everything seemed OK but when I tried the radio, nothing happened. The dash cluster says RADIO, no buttons on the stingray work, and when I open the oddment box, the LED display on the intercom interface isn't lit.

I tried the disconnect the battery fix. When I reconnected the battery, the radio came on for 2 seconds and went off. (Even though the bike was switched off)

I've tried this several times and always the same results. With the bike turned on or off, the radio will come on, the intercom lights and will even respond to twisting, but will go off again in 2 seconds. I tried pressing the topside buttons in that 2 seconds...nothing, I've tried with just the bike battery and also with a regulated Power Supply attached as well in case the battery was weak and dropping voltage when first booting.

Any ideas on what to do from here?

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 2:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Another K1200LT radio problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by valcenius View Post
Like many other posts, my radio has stopped working.

After setting over the winter and a couple of charges and battery tender sessions, I got it out and started her (2005 K1200LT) up. Everything seemed OK but when I tried the radio, nothing happened. The dash cluster says RADIO, no buttons on the stingray work, and when I open the oddment box, the LED display on the intercom interface isn't lit.

I tried the disconnect the battery fix. When I reconnected the battery, the radio came on for 2 seconds and went off. (Even though the bike was switched off)

I've tried this several times and always the same results. With the bike turned on or off, the radio will come on, the intercom lights and will even respond to twisting, but will go off again in 2 seconds. I tried pressing the topside buttons in that 2 seconds...nothing, I've tried with just the bike battery and also with a regulated Power Supply attached as well in case the battery was weak and dropping voltage when first booting.

Any ideas on what to do from here?

Jay
Was any work done on the bike during the winter? Was it stored where mice have access? They can do a number on wiring.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 2:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Fuse F4 is a 7.5 amp fuse and powers the radio, there is also a fuse on the back side of the radio itself. Not sure of how either of those would cause your issue but they are worth a check. You have to remove the stingray to get to the fuse at the back of the radio. The radio powers the intercom also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main fuse.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	151135  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

No work done and no mice customizing.

when re-attaching the battery the radio comes on and sounds fine...for about 2 seconds. Just enough time to get your hopes up.

I've left it disconnected for about 30 hours now and will go out and try it. Possibly my capacitors are better than most...one has to grab at the straws in reach!

Will update.

Thanks.
post #5 of 38 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

No Joy. After 30 hours disconnected, same thing. Ignition off, connect battery, Intercom displays "ON", radio comes on, 2 seconds later everything stops.

Turn ignition on, all the normal noises (ABS pump etc) gauges jump, but no radio.

Any more new ideas?

Jay
post #6 of 38 Old May 2nd, 2019, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

I might be missing something, but since both the VOICE II and the radio come on for a couple of seconds the fuses probably are still good.

I have left it disconnected for 4+ days and still doesn't stay on.
post #7 of 38 Old May 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Update:

With the ignition turned on...
When I connect the negative terminal, the normal noises and gauge deflections occur.
The VOICE II intercom controller display lights up with "ON" (and will respond when rotated)
The radio comes on.
Two seconds later the radio and VOICE controller go off.

With the ignition turned off...
When I connect the negative terminal,
The VOICE II intercom controller display lights up with "ON" (and will respond when rotated)
The radio comes on.

I've left the negative disconnected for everywhere from 15 minutes to 4+ days and still the same problem.

I now have removed the stingray to check/verify all the connectors. So far, nothing pops out as being bad. Id check fuses, but
everything comes on for a couple of seconds, so the power should be getting to the components.

I'm getting the bike ready for the Run for the Wall trip. It would be a LONG 2+ week trip with no sounds. I'm getting close to running
out of options.

Jay A.
post #8 of 38 Old May 2nd, 2019, 5:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Update:

With the ignition turned on...
When I connect the negative terminal, the normal noises and gauge deflections occur.
The radio comes on.

With the ignition turned off...
When I connect the negative terminal,
The radio comes on.

I've left the negative disconnected for everywhere from 15 minutes to 4+ days and still the same problem.

I now have removed the stingray to check/verify all the connectors. So far, nothing pops out as being bad. Id check fuses, but
everything comes on for a couple of seconds, so the power should be getting to the components.

I'm getting the bike ready for the Run for the Wall trip. It would be a LONG 2+ week trip with no sounds. I'm getting close to running
out of options.

Jay A.
It sure sounds like something internal to the intercom.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 38 Old May 2nd, 2019, 8:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Try "jacking" the big black connector on the back of the radio. Also check that fuse back there (10 amp) The connector has an outer sliding part that will drive the connector off of the radio. Do this a few times to clean up any corroded contacts. This also "jacks" the intercom connector, then you can reconnect all the loose connectors and try the radio before you button all the tupperware back on.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; May 2nd, 2019 at 8:46 pm.
post #10 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:13 am

Yes it could be some terminal corrosion. Try getting some spray on contact cleaner to give the plug ends a spray, both male and female and then work them in and out a couple of times. This might be enough to freshen up the contact pins.
post #11 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 7:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I might be missing something, but since both the VOICE II and the radio come on for a couple of seconds the fuses probably are still good.

I have left it disconnected for 4+ days and still doesn't stay on.
Yes, this is reasonable logic, but, although it is rare, it isnít unheard of for a fuse to go bad due to vibration or a manufacturing defect and get a break it in that that is closed when cold, but then opens up when warm. Given the cost of fuses, I would change the fuse that powers the intercom just to be sure that there isnít something strange going on.

I agree though that it seems very unlikely to be the fuse. It sure sounds like something internal.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

The radio/intercom connections are the only ones I haven't remove/replaced.

I would think that corrosion, loose connectors etc, would cause a more random set of symptoms. This seems to act exactly the same way each and every time.

I'll go back out and remove the stingray. Fortunately, I haven't put the side panels back on.

More to follow,

Again, thanks.
post #13 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

Dissassembled and reassembled stingray.

Well...thought I'd found the problem, but no.

I disassembled the stingray and found a small coax cable (not antenna) going to the radio that looked like the connector might have been damaged.

I theorized that it might be a CAN-bus cable. It seemed to fit the symptoms. Possibly the radio/comm comes on when power is applied but when the radio/comm doesn't respond to the bus, it removes the power.

I reconnected it and stuffed a spacer between it and the housing to prevent future disconnection.

Reassembled and tested. No joy. still doesn't work.
post #14 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Dissassembled and reassembled stingray.

Quote:
Well...thought I'd found the problem, but no.

I disassembled the stingray and found a small coax cable (not antenna) going to the radio that looked like the connector might have been damaged.

I theorized that it might be a CAN-bus cable. It seemed to fit the symptoms. Possibly the radio/comm comes on when power is applied but when the radio/comm doesn't respond to the bus, it removes the power.

I reconnected it and stuffed a spacer between it and the housing to prevent future disconnection.

Reassembled and tested. No joy. still doesn't work.
The LT is not CAN-bus equipped.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

OK. I thought it had a can-bus like system for interlocks like kickstand, etc.

Sooo, any idea what the small coax connector (not antenna) on the right rear of the CD player might be?

Victor "Jay" Alcenius aka Santa

1999 K1200LT - 88K miles - currently a parts donor till I get it painted and sold
2005 K1200LT - 28K miles
RFTW 25th and 30th Anniversary runs
post #16 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Could it be the wire to the changer in the right saddlebag?

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #17 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Could be. I don't know. Just seemed to be odd to have a single wire coax going into the radio/CD. If it was for audio, l and R would have to be multiplexed into one wire. If it was for controlling the changer it would still have to be multiplexed.

The Radio/CD and the intercom works fine...just for 2 seconds. (Long enough to eject a CD, or change settings knob on the intercom controller.) It seems like a logic thing. I just don't know if the radio/CD or intercom is failing the test.

Also it does it with the key ON or OFF when the battery is connected.

If it is the intercom, I can buy one for $160, but I don't have that much to waste if it's not.
post #18 of 38 Old May 3rd, 2019, 8:44 pm

It seems awfully peculiar that the symptoms reveal with the key in either off or on positions. With this, any chance the ignition is not turned far enough to get full system shutdown? Try turning key to full lock off and test again.

If you are going in again, try to get some photos of the wire you have in question. It may help someone here identify.

The 2-second thing has me kinda stumped.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #19 of 38 Old May 4th, 2019, 8:03 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You can isolate the intercom by removing it's connector from that big black connector on the back of the radio. It comes out if you pull the little blue clip and it is the one on the right looking at the connector from the rear. The one on the left is for the CD changer. Could pull both also to check. Then the intercom is removed from the equation and if it still does it it is in the radio.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #20 of 38 Old May 4th, 2019, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks! Now I have a troubleshooting plan.

One question though, doesn't the radio go through the intercom for speed dependant volume and rear headset volume? If so, disconnection it would stop the radio from working wouldn't it?
post #21 of 38 Old May 4th, 2019, 4:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Nope the radio does send audio to the intercom so it gets to your headsets but it will play through the speakers with out the intercom. The Radio is hooked up to a K-buss for speed information.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #22 of 38 Old May 4th, 2019, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

OK, tried that. Doesn't work with any combo of disconnects. Multi-disc and intercom disconnected or any combo. I also noticed that it has the exact connector a radio/cassette that came out of my BMW Z3. plugged it in even though I didn't think it would work and it didn't.

In the dash, the only thing concerning the radio that happens is the word RADIO comes on with power. No changen with radio playing or not.

Last night I noticed that no matter what conditions, the button marked "ON" stays on when key is on. Nothing else lights up or changes with button pressing.

I don't see a way to run the intercom without the radio. So even though the radio comes on, it's bad?

I have a '99, but the intercom and radio both are totally different. The 99 has the radio display in the stingray and the '05 has it on the dash. So I don't see a way of "swaptronics" troubleshooting.

The driving factor in all this is I'm going on a 2 week ride and would like my J&M CB to work and get some toons to help the trip.

While I had it apart (again) I took a picture of that mystery coax and the main connector with the release clip partly removed in case anyone else needs to see it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200LT radio coax.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	151365   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_140546_1280x720.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	601.4 KB
ID:	151367  
post #23 of 38 Old May 4th, 2019, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

I just found on another thread (Stereo Replacement thread, but different...) that says if the bike (somehow) decides it doesn't see the radio, it shuts off the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankist View Post
Yes, I did.

The power cord I used comes from the BMW system that does turn it off because it decides the radio is not there.

I have taken the power from another source that does not change. It started working.

It does shut off by turning the switch.

I hope it helps.
Cheers

Does anyone know which of the myriad wires powers the radio, so I can splice it to a key switched source of power or trace it down to see why the bike doesn't see the radio?
post #24 of 38 Old May 4th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Garage

I'm a total noob, but when I removed the radio from my bike (a 2007 so I'm assuming it's the same radio) I thought the "mystery coax" was clearly the antenna connector.

The complexity of the radio harness is, to me, absolutely unbelievable. I'm so happy to have been able to pull the whole thing out of my bike and toss it on the shelf. And now I have a giant glove box!

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #25 of 38 Old May 5th, 2019, 2:38 am Thread Starter

Not as much of a noob as you thought you were. Upon closer inspection of my pictures, I find I must order second helpings of humble pie. I saw the connector under the stingray and never put two and two together. You are absolutely right.

I also watched a video done by a mamber of an Illinois BMW club on removing and replacing the radio. His had a ground wire screwed to the chassis. Mine had no such ground. I tried adding one, but that also was a bust.

So....my new friend. why did you remove the radio? Did it work fine and you just wanted a larger glove-box? (He said with hope in his fingers.)

Did the intercom work as well? (He trembled at the thought.)

Then he typed with trepidation, "Do they look like the enclosed photo and would you be willing to sell them ... for something less than the national debt?"

If so....PLEASE PM me with the wonderful details.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20190503-WA0003_1280x720.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	151375  
post #26 of 38 Old May 5th, 2019, 11:01 am

Garage

Mine's a 2007, so should be the same radio. I'd have to look. Does it work? I have to say honestly that after I bought the bike last summer I never turned it on. Seller didn't said anything about it being broken so I assume it works OK. I did a fly 'n ride from Loveland to Seattle last summer and spent all four days in soothing silence. Honestly, I never listen to anything when I'm riding other than my own thoughts. Don't even use an intercom when SWMBO is on board.

I was going to offer to sell you the whole shooting match when I first saw this thread (2 days ago) but I looked up the dates of that ride you're going on, and figgered when you'd need to leave the Springs, and decided there was not enough time to ship it to you and for you to get it installed. Plus the fact that I don't really know for sure if it works OK.

Now, the Nav III system that I removed definitely worked. That's on the shelf too.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #27 of 38 Old May 5th, 2019, 11:03 am

Garage

For your trip, why not simply a set of earbuds and your smartphone music?

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #28 of 38 Old May 5th, 2019, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

I have gotten pretty quick at R&R the radio. I'm leaving from the springs and meeting them in Albuquerque. Depends on the price if I can pay for quick shipping.

The ear buds bother my ears in the helmet and at least the first leg of the trip I need the CB for comms to another bike.

1999 K1200LT - 88K miles - currently a parts donor till I get it painted and sold
2005 K1200LT - 28K miles
post #29 of 38 Old May 5th, 2019, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Does your nav III look like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-05-05 12_1557079424484.02.51.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	151377  

2005 K1200LT - 28K miles
post #30 of 38 Old May 5th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That little mystery coax IS the antenna connection and the only way the radio talks to the bike is through the I-buss (both the radio and the controller are hooked to the I-buss). The controller is the panel with the buttons and it has one small connector on it. It could be bad as well. I am enclosing a diagram and pin out of the big connector with all the signals. Now that I am back home and have access to all this. Note the controller pics are from a pre 05 but they are similar and have the same connector. The controller connector is shown as item #2 in the last picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Controller with back off.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	151379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller board.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	151381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Diagram.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	151383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main fuse.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	151385  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; May 5th, 2019 at 2:19 pm.
post #31 of 38 Old May 5th, 2019, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

OK, from what I can see in the diagram,

1) RADIO PLUG - PIN 5 is the power source than goes away after 2 seconds. I should be able to verify that with a multimeter.

2) I wonder if RADIO PLUG - PIN 9 really is continuous power or if it is key switched power? Again, that can be checked with a multimeter.

3) RADIO PLUG - PIN 7 is the I-bus. I wonder which of the 10 connectors under the stingray that goes to? Enough time with a multimeter that can be figured out (as long as that wire isn't broken and causing the initial problem.)

4) Does anyone know what the I-buss is expecting to sense to allow the radio to stay on? A resistance, a voltage, current draw, or an actual buss-word?

5) if I wanted to supply power to the radio/comm units that wasn't controlled by the buss I wonder if I can, as least temporarily, jumper RADIO PLUG - PIN 9 (continuous operating voltage) to PIN 5 (switched operating voltage) going into the radio? I might have to cut the switched wire so as not to back-feed where it comes from.

6) I assume that supplying power to the radio would, in turn, supply power to the CD and comm.

I realize theres a lot of questions, but if anyone has answers to any, feel free to jump in.

Thanks in advance for all the help so-far!

Jay
post #32 of 38 Old May 6th, 2019, 9:57 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

My legend is for a general radio for BMW and the LT does not use all pins. It only uses Pins 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, & 15. This is according to the factory diagram in the SLP2 DVD.

Pin 9 is HOT all the time.

The I-buss does not control the radio it will operate on a bench with out it. It provides the speed signal to the radio despite what the big diagram says.
Pin 7 (I-buss) goes to a 6 pin connector and is on pin 5 with a white violet wire

Switched power is sent to the controller on pin 3 of its connector and comes back out as the RON signal (on pin 7 of the controller connector) that goes back to the instrument cluster and to pin 5 on the radio.

This is not a simple system to trouble shoot.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #33 of 38 Old May 6th, 2019, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Pin 9 is HOT all the time.
So I can't get power from there, 'cause the radio would run the battery down.

Quote:
The I-buss does not control the radio it will operate on a bench with out it. It provides the speed signal to the radio despite what the big diagram says.
So that shouldn't be what's turning off my system after 2 sec.

How many/which connections (Power/ground wise) are needed to work on-the-bench?

Quote:
Switched power is sent to the controller on pin 3 of its connector and comes back out as the RON signal (on pin 7 of the controller connector) that goes back to the instrument cluster and to pin 5 on the radio.
So PIN 3 of the connector under the control buttons has switched power. Key switched or logic switched?
What is the acronym RON (Radio ON?)

The picture of the controller is totally different than my '05. The "05" doesn't have an LCD display. It is incorporated into the dash display.

To recap,
1) I should see 12v at PIN 9 of the radio at all times.
2) I should see 12v on PIN 3 of the controller connector only with the key on.
3) I should see 12v at PIN 7 of the controller AND PIN 5 of the radio, when I turn the radio on via controller "ON" button
If, while monitoring the voltages, one of them goes away after 2 seconds, It MIGHT isolate who is cutting power.

Feel free to PM me and give me a call if you have the time.

2005 K1200LT - 28K miles
post #34 of 38 Old May 6th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:

The picture of the controller is totally different than my '05. The "05" doesn't have an LCD display. It is incorporated into the dash display.

To recap,
1) I should see 12v at PIN 9 of the radio at all times.
2) I should see 12v on PIN 3 of the controller connector only with the key on.
3) I should see 12v at PIN 7 of the controller AND PIN 5 of the radio, when I turn the radio on via controller "ON" button
If, while monitoring the voltages, one of them goes away after 2 seconds, It MIGHT isolate who is cutting power.

Feel free to PM me and give me a call if you have the time.

Yes, I do not have a picture of an 05 controller but the functions are the same except it sends display data back to the dash on the I-buss. The I-buss also goes to the CD Changer. The older radios (pre-05) do use the Tacho A signal from the dash going in on pin 10 for the speed controlled volume where the 05 does not.

I'll give you a call later this evening.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #35 of 38 Old May 6th, 2019, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

I took the controller apart in case there was an obvious problem. I've included some disassembly photos.

I found corrosion near the CD button. I cleaned it off and hoped it would work. Temporarily connected everything to test. No joy. The POWER button is lit, but no responses to any button presses.

Anyone have one laying around?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Underside of controller screw location (2).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	151441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller Circuitboard screw location (2).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	151443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit board BEFORE Cleaning.jpg
Size:	782.0 KB
ID:	151445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit board AFTER cleaning.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	646.3 KB
ID:	151447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller board powered-up.jpg
Size:	862.7 KB
ID:	151449  

2005 K1200LT - 28K miles
post #36 of 38 Old May 7th, 2019, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Starting to question everything. I've previously numbered all the connectors for easy assembly, but this connector doesnt have a number. I think it's because it didn't have a partner. After all the problems I'm having, I'm not leaving anything to chance.

Does anyone know what this wire connects to...if anything?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Unknown connector.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	151475  

2005 K1200LT - 28K miles
post #37 of 38 Old May 7th, 2019, 8:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That may have been for a GPS connection for a BMW NAV3 or 4. Maybe some one else will recognize it. Actually it was for the BMW Nav II just saw it in the VOICE manual. It did not show it but listed that you needed a special connector kit to run it.

Then I found this - looks like your connector circled in red.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GPS Connector.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	151477  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; May 7th, 2019 at 8:18 pm.
post #38 of 38 Old May 7th, 2019, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That may have been for a GPS connection for a BMW NAV3 or 4. Maybe some one else will recognize it. Actually it was for the BMW Nav II just saw it in the VOICE manual. It did not show it but listed that you needed a special connector kit to run it.

Then I found this - looks like your connector circled in red.
My Nav III and V used two connectors, one with 2 terminals and one with 3. This one appears to have only one wire in the end. It would be helpful to see the other end of the connector.

Might want to peruse this thread as I have a few pictures of the GPS connectors. https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...nav-v-5-a.html

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; May 7th, 2019 at 9:12 pm.

Tags
intercom, radio, v.o.i.c.e., vioce ii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in