Left me stranded - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By alabrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Left me stranded

Yes, on the side of the road. Called a friend with a trailer to come pick me up. My 2005 LT1200 died going down the road like I turned the switch off. Sounds like the fuel pump runs. I turn the switch on and let everything start up it goes quiet I than turn the kill switch off and than on and hear the pump run for a short while. Ok you pros is it the fuel filter hosing? If filter hose leaks wouldn't the pump run all the time to maintain fuel pressure? Is there something else I should consider?
Thanks
randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm

Re: Left me stranded

Ignition sensor wiring. Side stand switch. Other folks who know something will help I'm sure. Fuel system continuity is of course to be considered.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 2:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Most often a sudden death is the hoses on the fuel pump. Those are now 15 years old and have been exposed to ethanol. I changed mine at 12 years and they still looked good BUT... Better safe than stranded.

No until the ECU senses the engine is running it does not command the pump to run, it just primes it for a second or two.
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 2:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Most often a sudden death is the hoses on the fuel pump. Those are now 15 years old and have been exposed to ethanol. I changed mine at 12 years and they still looked good BUT... Better safe than stranded.

No until the ECU senses the engine is running it does not command the pump to run, it just primes it for a second or two.
My internal U-hose failed after 7 years. That is my suspicion. Remove gas cap and look inside and turn the key on. If you see gas swirling or a geyser, then your hose has failed.
beech and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

I think your right. I turned the switch on and I can see a geyser. Gas is spraying inside the tank. The question is can you take the pump element out the bottom of tank with out removing the tank? Is there room to do that? Has anyone tried that? I've got maybe 2 gals of gas in it. Thanks
randyg
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyg View Post
I think your right. I turned the switch on and I can see a geyser. Gas is spraying inside the tank. The question is can you take the pump element out the bottom of tank with out removing the tank? Is there room to do that? Has anyone tried that? I've got maybe 2 gals of gas in it. Thanks
randyg
Yes, I did it a few weeks ago. You have to remove the right side bumper frame and draining the tank is a pain so you will make a mess trying to catch what is left. Your best bet is to get a rubber strap wrench to get the pump nut loose and get the pump assembly out. You will have to twist it some to get the best position of the pump and filter to drop out the bottom.

If you have quick disconnects, you may be able to open the valve on the return line and use that hose to drain the remaining fuel to some container. Reusing that fuel may depend on a few things and is up to you.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #7 of 9 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch. This has a Hannigan Trike conversion and it has the running boards on it as well so that side would have to be removed. It also has the fuel line disconnects on it to. I'll try to suck most of the gas out of it before I start removing the the pump. Good project for this week. Again thanks a bunch.
randyg
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 24th, 2019, 11:55 am

Take your fuel cap off then turn key on. Put your ear close to tank and listen for agitation, cavitation. If you hear anything it's the fuel line that attaches to your fuel filter.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 24th, 2019, 3:56 pm

randgy,

That trick to remove the pump from the bottom while the tank is in place is also done on the side stand so there is very little fuel to spill as it is elevated. Really more of an emergency on the road procedure.

Since you have a trike, I think I would go ahead and remove the other side panel and just pull the tank. Not that much more work and you could change that air filter...and might as well do the fuel filter too.
Patric likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in