• 3 Post By DRONE
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By DRONE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Apr 20th, 2019, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Help identify old aux fuse panel

Gonna install a new aux fuse block in the 2007 K1200LT that I bought last summer. Before I begin, I'd kinda like to know what I already have. I've searched Google Images pretty hard but not come up with a match.

Anybody recognize this box? Looks like it had a cover at one time, but here are the guts --->

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Apr 20th, 2019, 8:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Help identify old aux fuse panel

I have seen about 6 different ones so far but I have never seen that one. Sorry. It does look to have a switched power relay and three fused circuits but that is about all I can determine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I have seen about 6 different ones so far but I have never seen that one. Sorry. It does look to have a switched power relay and three fused circuits but that is about all I can determine.
I would agree but look at all those empty spade connectors! I wonder what those are all about? Makes it looks like you could run 10 power connections through the three circuits, which would be totally weird, or maybe those are 5 grounds and 5 power?

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"

post #4 of 24 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 5:30 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It would be easy enough to map it with a multimeter and just pull the fuses and check for ground continuity with the ohm function. Then introduce one fuse at a time and check each spade for voltage. It looks to be well made and water proof.
beech likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 6:32 am

I have one similar on my RT. This was a dealer installed item that the previous owner had installed. The only thing I found on the internet that is the closest match is:

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/TPS-...per-fuse-block
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Block.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	151131  
sailor likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 24 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well, another day of Googling and I finally found it. And it turns out it's not necessarily "old" because it's still being sold! It's a proprietary fuse box made by Motolights.

If the bike actually had some Motolights, perhaps I would have found it sooner.

https://motolight.com/product/power-fuse-block/

Sent an e-mail to Motolights to see if they had any specs they could share with me.
kbob12 likes this.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #7 of 24 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 8:44 pm

My RT came with the Moto lights, so I must have the same fuse block. I do not remember seeing the three fuses. I will have to take a look in the morning and take a picture of it.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #8 of 24 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Well, another day of Googling and I finally found it. And it turns out it's not necessarily "old" because it's still being sold! It's a proprietary fuse box made by Motolights.

Sent an e-mail to Motolights to see if they had any specs they could share with me.
That is a pricey unit compared to the Fuzeblock unit. I am curious if you find a reason that justifies the higher price as the Fuzeblock unit seems equally capable with 6 circuits that can be any combination of switched and unstitched.
Munmi likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 24 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 11:52 pm

Hey, it looks really well made. I would continue to use it once you make a map of functions. Way better than the standard 60$ fuse block with screw connections of years back that I use on my K bike.
Voyager likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 24 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post

Lucky you! It certainly looks convenient! The Motolight website must have downloadable instructions if you have any questions. It appears straightforward enough, and well made!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #11 of 24 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob12 View Post
Lucky you! It certainly looks convenient! The Motolight website must have downloadable instructions if you have any questions. It appears straightforward enough, and well made!
Nope--no instructions. That's why I e-mailed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
That is a pricey unit compared to the Fuzeblock unit. I am curious if you find a reason that justifies the higher price as the Fuzeblock unit seems equally capable with 6 circuits that can be any combination of switched and unstitched.
Didn't read Post #1?
kbob12 likes this.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #12 of 24 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 2:49 pm

Here is what I have on my RT. It is a Touratech and has five hots and five grounds. I only see one fuse. It is powering the following:
Motolights
Auxiliary fans
JMB CB
GPS
Hyper Lights
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuse Block_01.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	151177  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #13 of 24 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Here is what I have on my RT. It is a Touratech and has five hots and five grounds. I only see one fuse. It is powering the following:
Motolights
Auxiliary fans
JMB CB
GPS
Hyper Lights
Looked that one up. It has the one 15-amp fuse because that's the total capacity of the box for all five circuits combined. Which is apparently fine for what you got. If you were to power heated gear with it, that might put you over the top. Also, all five circuits are switched. I like having the flexibility to have some unswitched circuits for certain farkles but switched circuits are great especially to prevent parasitic drains.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #14 of 24 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 6:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Motolights
Auxiliary fans
JMB CB
GPS
Hyper Lights
That is a very poor design, but is safe as long as you use wire sized for the capacity of the fuse on EVERY accessory circuit. Remember that the purpose of a fuse is to protect the downstream wiring. If you have 5 circuits sharing a 15A fuse, then any circuit that shorts will potentially draw that much until the fuse blows. A better design fuses each circuit so that you can use smaller wire for smaller loads, say 3A for a GPS, and size the fuse for that circuit accordingly.

This approach is fine, it just requires you to use large gauge wire for every single circuit.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 24 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 11:13 am

Quote:
My RT came with the Moto lights, so I must have the same fuse block.
Just for clarity, you donít have to have this fuse block to run motolights.
They wire up and run independent of this fuse block.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #16 of 24 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
That is a very poor design, but is safe as long as you use wire sized for the capacity of the fuse on EVERY accessory circuit.

This approach is fine, it just requires you to use large gauge wire for every single circuit.
I agree but think the dealer installed the fuse block to act as a trigger for the higher circuit draws.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #17 of 24 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
Just for clarity, you donít have to have this fuse block to run motolights.
They wire up and run independent of this fuse block.

Getting off subject here, but, I actually installed the motolights on my LT myself. On my RT, I think the dealer installed them for the previous owner. I wish I knew how they wired them up as I do not like the fact if I start the bike with the light switch on, they do not light. I have to turn the switch off then on again. The same if I stall the bike, when I restart it I have to cycle the light switch. Also, if I cycle the light switch too fast, they will not light.

They are connected through a dual auxiliary switch that came on some GS (?) motorcycles. On my LT, I had the motolight light switch which I never had to touch, I just left it in the on position. On the RT I have to remember to shut off the switch when I turn the key off and turn the switch back on after I start the bike. I had the bike for 10 years now, so I am use to the "drill".

I installed LED bulbs thinking they were drawing too much power, but I think it may be something with the CANBUS system. The entire fuse block stays powered for approximately 30 seconds after I shut off the bike.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #18 of 24 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 2:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Getting off subject here, but, I actually installed the motolights on my LT myself. On my RT, I think the dealer installed them for the previous owner. I wish I knew how they wired them up as I do not like the fact if I start the bike with the light switch on, they do not light. I have to turn the switch off then on again. The same if I stall the bike, when I restart it I have to cycle the light switch. Also, if I cycle the light switch too fast, they will not light.

They are connected through a dual auxiliary switch that came on some GS (?) motorcycles. On my LT, I had the motolight light switch which I never had to touch, I just left it in the on position. On the RT I have to remember to shut off the switch when I turn the key off and turn the switch back on after I start the bike. I had the bike for 10 years now, so I am use to the "drill".

I installed LED bulbs thinking they were drawing too much power, but I think it may be something with the CANBUS system. The entire fuse block stays powered for approximately 30 seconds after I shut off the bike.
Sounds like they used a latching relay with a momentary activation style switch.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...ton-is-pressed

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 24 Old Apr 28th, 2019, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Garage

Going back to the fuse block that's the subject of this thread, I heard back from the good folks at Motolight, and they advised me that they never wrote an Installation Guide, but they gave me the info I needed over the phone.

So for the sake of anybody who might be wondering sometime in the future, and might stumble on this thread, the Motolight Power Fuse Block (#65229) has a capacity of 30 amps. There are three circuits, each has a max power rating of 10 amps. All three circuits are switched. The entire unit is controlled by a single relay.

There are three connections to the bike's wiring harness. Red goes to the +POS terminal on the battery, and this line should be protected with a 30-amp fuse somewhere between the battery and the fuse block. Black goes to ground, and can be grounded to the -NEG terminal on the battery or anywhere on the bike's frame where you can make a good strong connection. The third wire is yellow, it's the trigger wire, and it's located between the upper red wire and the lower black wire.

There are six spade terminals for connecting accessories to the power block--two terminals for each of the three circuits. These six terminals reside in the upper half of the block, above the fuses, or you could say they reside on the "red" half of the block. There are also six spade terminals on the lower half (the "black" half) -- these are all grounds.

In the picture below, the terminals are identified by the fuse they are connected to. To be clear, you can connect two accessories to each circuit as long as the total draw of the two lines doesn't exceed 10 amps, and you should choose a fuse for each circuit based on that total draw.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aux fuse panel(2).png
Views:	13
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	151305  
mtrevelino, sailor and Voyager like this.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #20 of 24 Old Apr 28th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Good job wringing this out for others that may run across one.
Voyager likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #21 of 24 Old Apr 29th, 2019, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Today I started looking at some of the other wiring under the seat -- all of it installed by two or perhaps three previous owners.

First thing I found was a 30-amp relay. Tracing wires back from the relay--
  1. one went to ground - OK, so far so good
  2. one was tapped into the headlight - long way to go for a trigger wire, but OK.
  3. one went to a 10-amp circuit on the fuse panel - wait, a switched power source? I already have a switched trigger wire. Why is the power source switched? Weird.

But there's two more wires that disappear down into the bowels. I start tugging away at these two wires and . . . !!! Both are capped off !!! So what I got here is the relay to nowhere. Or maybe the relay to infinity. In any event, clearly this relay is an artifact leftover from some previous something. Yanked it out.

What more will I find?

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #22 of 24 Old Apr 30th, 2019, 6:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Hope you don't find this next...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	power strip.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	151337  
DRONE likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #23 of 24 Old May 1st, 2019, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Hope you don't find this next...
Nope! Haven't found any A/C connections at all!

But I did find another relay. Micro relay rated at 10 amps. What's it connected to? A 25-amp linear actuator (part of the sidecar suspension system.) Of course. And that's not all. The relay trigger wire is connected to a switched BMW plug under the seat using 16-gauge wire (unnecessary, but OK), but then the +12 volt power wire going to the linear actuator is 20-gauge. ???

Easy enough to fix. Replaced the relay with a Hella 40/30-amp from my misc spare parts box, and connected that to a 14-gauge relay harness from the same box, then replaced the 20-gauge wire with some tinned fine strand 16-gauge for the 36-inch run to the actuator.

Much less likely now that I will set the bike on fire.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #24 of 24 Old May 6th, 2019, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Finished my electrical "clean-up" on this bike. Removed the radio, intercom and Nav III. Installed a panel mount female coax socket on the left side for my heated gear--connected it to one of the 10-amp circuits on the aux fuse panel. Pretty nice little socket --

I control my heated gear with a wireless battery operated controller that I'll probably store in the "glove box" but if that turns out to be impractical I may eventually mount it somewhere in the open using 3M Dual-Lock.

I installed a Powerlet socket where the intercom connector was--used one of the switched power lines going to the radio to provide power for it. Nice spring-loaded cap --

I'm going to use this socket to power my smartphone. My smartphone will be mounted where the Nav III used to be and I'll use it as my primary nav unit. It's a ruggedized waterproof Android phone with a big screen and I have 5 or 6 nav apps installed with maps for North America stored internally.

Also added a neat little TPMS display over near the left mirror. It's actually an ordinary 12V cigarette socket and the TPMS unit plugs into it. Communicates with pressure sensors that reside on the tire valve stems. Looks like this --

Haven't had a chance to test this yet but it was only $65 on Amazon so no big gamble. And, yes, I realize it has readouts for 4 tires but, with only three sensors on board, the 4th tire will simply read "0" all the time. Since this display uses less than 1 amp, I powered it with another line that taps the unused switched radio power.
mtrevelino likes this.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in