BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

cruise control light 2000 k1200 LT out?

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mslacool 
#1 ·
My yellow cruise control light doesn't light up and the cruise doesnt work. Any troubleshooting knowledge out there. the read light on the left handlebar does light up red when moved to the right.

Paul

#2 ·
FIRST, I am assuming you have checked the appropriate fuse (see attached image for 1999-2004 models)
ALSO, make sure any recent work has been double-checked - in particular anything touching throttle cables (assuming the problem started just after some work was done on bike).

The main cruise-control unit is very reliable and rarely fails - most issues are related to various micro-switches adjustments OR throttle-cables free play (that also affect one of the micro-switch).

To troubleshoot the Cruise-Control system, please review the PDF file that can be downloaded from this earlier post:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/61833-cruise-control-diagnostic-test.html#post539891

THEN, review the Diagnostic Video on YouTube here:

A printed copy of the PDF file will help you follow the steps in garage, However the video was done to better understand the system and do the right checks.

Attachments

#4 ·
Well I have checked the fuses. All is okay. That was my first look.... And my problem in using the video is that he uses the set light as an indicator of where the problem is. My problem is the set light never comes on and i have no idea how to run his diagnostic without the set light coming on at all ever? I examined the pdf and unless I am missing something, I can't get the set light to come on at all.

Again, I am mechanical but not a mechanic. I understand more than I can do. The set light used to come on and then would work and then not work but that was a year ago... or more.

How do I test the set light?

Paul

#5 · (Edited)
During last 9 years on 3 separate forums for k1200RS / K1200LT , I have seen many cases related to Cruise-Control, HOWEVER you are the 1st one that cannot get a SET light at the 1st step of the diagnostic procedure (Push-Hold SET button, THEN turn Ignition ON).

Do you have other dash warning bulb that are not going ON after you turn ignition ON ??
Assuming dash is working OK , you should see engine coolant temp-warning , Oil-pressure and Alternator (until engine is started). You should also see the low-fuel warning flash for 1 or 2 seconds.

In the "Most probable cause" that will need more tests and research:
1) Burned SET bulb (same small bulb as all other warnings , except ABS, so you can swap for a test). See attached image...

2) the SET button is defective (or making bad contact) inside the main left combo switch. Cruise function buttons go to a 6 pins connector located inside the relay junction box lower panel (not easy to reach). This allows usage of Multi-meter continuity function (Ohms) to check all 3 buttons for cruise function (ON-OFF , SET, RES).

There is a write-up on this forum on how to open the Left switch (with pictures). First time you do this job requires a lot of patience to remove and open the switch assy. See this thread, about 3/4 down for a post with 9 pictures:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/53849-flaky-cruise-control.html

3) there is a bad or loose connection at the main 10 pins connector of the cruise-control unit (this is much easier to reach than the left combo switch).

ALSO, in the "Not very probable , but possible" causes:
4) a failure of the main Cruise-control unit (not very probable)

5) you have done some recent electrical work that may have affected wiring

6) mouse has chewed up some wiring (we see more and more of these issues here with bikes not being ridden much)

Attachments

#6 ·
thank you. I will put your advice to good use when I get back to PHX which is where the bike is stored.... Thank you again so much. I am no longer near the bike ( in MT). I have replaced the right side multiswitch so I know how complicated that can be.. and although I can't really read an electrical diagram, I do understand what things are doing and why... I feel like its easier to replace the part than to take it apart.... springs and little things always seem to jump out and never go back in.. but i have had all the tupperware off about six times for various reasons and I pulled the stereo because it was fritzing.

I will try to follow your instructions .. but some sort of failed microswitch makes the most sense as it would work then not work before it completely failed and the set light was the indicator of whether it was working at all. So I see the set light as being a signal that its all working and now "set". So I doubt its a bulb .. but the rear brake light bulb I am reading about may be a possibility.. I never checked that..

Regards

Paul

#7 ·
My guess was a microswitch that turns on the cruise when you push the cruise button to set it.. ( then the yellow set light comes on) as all the other functions seem to be about turning the (then) set cruise off.... so I am thinking the cruise set light function is fine as are all the functions that turn cruise off.. braking etc.. but the microswitch that is involved in the setting procedure has failed because of age or?

So I hoped I could target a specific microswitch as the culprit and take it apart but if age an erosion is the factor that caused the failure a new or replacement is in order.

The thing that scares me was the complicated process to replace the right multi switch.. involved tearing everything off to get to a connection in the main fuse panel behind the right tupperware and why in the hell bmw didn't put a connection somewhere on the handlebars instead of requiring a near complete tear down to replace a basic switch on the handlebars. Idiotic is how I feel when I tear this bike apart.. like hex heads and torx screw heads of different sizes involved in the same repair removal of a part ? Why in the hell doesn't BMW or didn't they use the same flipping torx screw on all attachments? How difficult would that have been?

I am not impressed with the german engineering when I take this bike apart. Its like they never anticipated failure of a part and making replacement of that part easy. A good plan always involves assuming things go wrong...

ARghhh.

P

#8 ·
My dad always told me to look for the simple thing first.. and he was right

when I get to working on it I will try to turn the bike on after I hit the set light. I have always turned the bike on then tried to set the cruise...

Unless you misspoke, I may have had the sequencing wrong...

I will try that too..

P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.