'05 K1200LT: another brake bleed/flush question - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 17th, 2019, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Garage
'05 K1200LT: another brake bleed/flush question

Can I suck (vacuum) brake fluid through the ABS unit via the calipers with a filled brake funnel on the unit, instead of using the powered pump of the ABS-unit?
If not I'm in big trouble because when I put the contact on, the warning light of the ABS starts flashing immediately very fast and pulling the handle (front brake) or the pedal (rear brake) does not activate the ABS pump.
How come? Stupid me changed the bleeders on all three calipers with Stahlbus speedbleeders and spilled a whole lot of brake fluid in the process.
In order not to mess up the ABS-unit (wich I had to change by the dealer 2 years ago and cost me a fortune) I want to bleed the system correctly. I hope that the pump is not working by lack of pressure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 17th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: '05 K1200LT: another brake bleed/flush question

OK if you get a fast flash when you turn on the key then one of your brake switches is stuck on. Check each one to make sure it is not on by listening for a "click" as you press the pedal or pull the lever. The one that does NOT click is the stuck one. Once you get that fixed everything else will work normally. If you apply the brakes when you turn on the key (or have a stuck switch) then the ABS cannot complete its first self test and then transition to the slow flash. It stays stuck on a fast flash and the pumps will not work.
beech likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks a million Jzeiler!!
This is the first time I'm doing a 20.000km service. I got everything of the bike and in the process disconnected the rear brake switch. Reconnected and auto diagnostic cycle went through and I could bleed the wheel circuits and ABS-unit with the #1, "2, #3 and again #1 method. During the wheel circiut bleed, brake fluid sputtered out intermittantly . At some points in time I could hear the ABS-pump but the fluid in my funnel did not drop. Only by playing the hand lever and pedal, brake fluid came out of the bleeders at the calipers. Anyway, no air is coming out and after reignition and autodiagnose I got the one flash per second light. I hope everything will get back to normal once I test-ride the bike.
Thanks again!!
I'm sure I will have stupid other questions during reassembly of the bike.
bye for now,
Greetings from Belgium!

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 19th, 2019, 9:41 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes the brake switches are normally closed and open when activated so if it was disconnected the ABS would sense it "open".

I had issues with the funnel when filling it. I would get an "air lock" and fluid would not drop when pumping. I always loosen the funnel a little to see if the fluid drops, if it does you had a filling air lock. Pouring very slowly into the funnel helps eliminate that.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in