ABS Pump:- Removing it for Repair - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

ABS Pump:- Removing it for Repair

Ok after 3 years of just basic maintenance and a lot of fun riding the old girl I have the dreaded ABS problem.

The brake ABS light is flashing real quick like 4 times a second and the ! light is on constantly.

My bike's a UK 2004 so i has the servo assisted brakes with no servo working on the rear pedal / brake. The front is fine.

I have made the decision to get the pump refreshed (In Germany) its a lot of cash but I like the bike and if I keep it 5 more years its well worth it, besides its worthless with no ABS and the idiot light flashing like a strobe.

My question is looking at the rear sub-frame and the battery / box of gubbings right behind the ABS pump do I need to remove the back of the bike or can this be removed without major surgery

First Post so Hello peeps..... I have been hanging around for years

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: ABS Pump:- Removing it for Repair

That box behind the ABS pump is the reverser controller and it mounts with just a few bolts and should come out without having to remove the sub frame. That will give you room to remove the ABS pump. It does have three heavy Black/Yellow stripe wires with one going to battery +(has a red sleeve), one goes to the starter tie point (black sleeve) and the last going to the ground tie point (brown sleeve). Then it should pop out. It also has two barrel connectors.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 7:24 pm

So share where youíre sending it and the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 8:23 pm
cws

Garage

That sucks. I've recently sold my similar age 2004 built K1200GT with iABS to another bloke, and within 2 months the rear ABS has faulted, similar to yours.
Been trying to help him out with it with info, and helping removing the dash light in the ABS and warning lamps (his request,not my suggestion) but not much else I can do.
I doubt he'll pay to have the iABS repaired if it can be... but I'll pass on any details you post if it works out.
good luck

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2019, 3:59 am Thread Starter

Yeah its a real bummer to be honest but could have been worse I guess..... Ok the company in Germany that does the rebuilding is Rhelectronics, if you search for type-am1 you will see our ABS pump used in the later K1200LT models

Reading the translated blurb this is the device I have with the two motors and the quick release fittings etc.... It's an expensive option and I believe in the UK one company may also have a look at this device but Google has been unable to point me in the correct direction.

Once I have it out I will check the part number and use that in my search engine.

I really love the bike so it has to be done although RH also make a Block with a bit of electrical trickery that replaces the whole unit and does away with the ABS side in its entirety.

This may be a better option really as the rebuild is guaranteed for two years whist the block has no moving parts to fail etc... Its also quite expensive but is a fit and forget option.

Thanks for the updates on the Reverse Control module and I will attempt to remove it tonight UK time
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2019, 4:05 pm

I have the same failure on my 05LT. I am interested in the unit from Germany that
removes the ABS entirely. Right now waiting for translation of invoice
to English , so the bank will be happy to make a transfer.
jim
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 11:18 am

I couldnít ride this beast without ABS.
Mine failed back in 2011.
Replaced it with a brand new unit at $4,200 after importing it here. It was stupid money but had no options or knowledge at the time and I was in love (still am) with this thing.

So, itís been good for the past 8 years.
I think the original failure was caused because a rat ate a brake hose and the pump ran dry on the front circuit. So only rear brakes.

I have two servo units from the K12R and one from the K12LT.

How much is Rhelectronics charging nowadays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in