Help! Loud motor clatter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Help! Loud motor clatter

First time posting here. Motor sounds fine until it warms up. Then a loud clatter from front of motor.
It is loudest when it is on the sidestand but makes noise anywhere between 1200-3500rpms.
I took a video w/sound. Can't leave link. It is on my youtube channel. I only have like 3 videos Ha! Rick Malahy youtube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 6:10 pm

Re: Help! Loud motor clatter

My bike also makes a bit more noise when sitting on the side stand. When I lift the bike up straight the noise goes away.
The K engines are a noisy engine anyway but I believe some of the noise you hear is also rattling of other parts of the bike like the fairing.
Some time ago I spent a bit of time tightening up the fairing mountings and even putting padding between some places where parts of the fairing meets.
When I did this it removed some of the noise. I also used a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the engine while it was idling and found that the noise that I thought was coming from the engine was not being transferred to my ears through the stethoscope which also helped to put my mind at ease over some of the noise. The fact that you say that it isn't as noisy when you stand the bike up makes me think its probably not so much the engine. My bike is pretty quiet when on the move. The noise you talk about at different rev ranges could just be things vibrating at different levels of resonance. Try getting a stethoscope and have a listen, you can pick them up very cheaply.
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 11:08 pm

I took a listen to your youtube video. While I don't have the best sound card with my laptop, there didn't seem to be anything unusual to me. As Wazza already stated regarding his bike, mine also has a total different sound when on the side stand vs. center stand or riding. Sometimes I have to wonder if the normal sounds of the our noisy motors is amplified by the change in echo from the garage floor.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 6:26 am

read here for an explanation of K-bike rattle.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...tml#post180785
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 6:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowngrip View Post
First time posting here. Motor sounds fine until it warms up. Then a loud clatter from front of motor.
It is loudest when it is on the sidestand but makes noise anywhere between 1200-3500rpms.
I took a video w/sound. Can't leave link. It is on my youtube channel. I only have like 3 videos Ha! Rick Malahy youtube
Yours is definitely louder than mine, but from what I have read there is a wide range of “noisiness” from LTs. Some rattle a lot and some do not. I am lucky and mine doesn’t, except when I first release the clutch, but that is a whole nother problem whose cause I am pretty sure about.

If my LT wasn’t still on my lift with important pieces removed (like the fuel tank) I would record mine for you. However, it probably would just make you worry more for no good reason. I think Charlie and others are correct in that some LTs just do this, but it seems to not be an issue in regard to reliability or longevity.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in