Gps - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Gps

Looking to install a gps on my lt which one works the best and is easy to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Garage
Re: Gps

how long is a piece of string, you will get so many opinions the easiest is a mobile phone, no installation

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 6:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George A. Shannon View Post
Looking to install a gps on my lt which one works the best and is easy to install?
I think a BMW Navigator is the easiest dedicated GPS to install and one of the best. Probably a generic Garmin motorcycle GPS such as the Zumo 595LM is next easiest to install. The absolute easiest is a smart phone, but you will need a cradle and power as most phone batteries donít last long when doing navigation duty. Also, many wonít tolerate the weather than a motorcycle GPS will nor the heat. And if you are not in cell coverage, then you lose access to things like gas stations and restaurants and canít even navigate if you forgot to download the map for your area.

Many like using their phone for navigation, but I much prefer the combination of my Nav 5 and my iphone. The Nav 5 is a better navigator and I donít have to worry about cell coverage in remote areas. The iphone is nice as a backup and I prefer having two devices so that if one dies I am not SOL. If you only use your phone and it dies due to heat or water or falls form the mount and bounces down the road, you are back to paper maps.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I think a BMW Navigator is the easiest dedicated GPS to install and one of the best. Probably a generic Garmin motorcycle GPS such as the Zumo 595LM is next easiest to install.

(Snip) The Nav 5 is a better navigator and I donít have to worry about cell coverage in remote areas.
1. The BMW GPS units are all rebranded from Garmin. Why would install of the BMW priced unit be any better/easier for an LT? I'm new to the LT, but I've never seen anything but a ram mount for the BMW setups. Let me know if I've missed something because I'd love to have a more elegant setup.

2. No cell coverage needed to use a phone for GPS. Please stop repeating this falsehood. Any decent smartphone has GPS built in and you can download maps for any area in a jiffy. Several options for programs to download.

I do use both Garmin and phone depending on what I'm doing. Both for the win.
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruincounselor View Post
1. The BMW GPS units are all rebranded from Garmin. Why would install of the BMW priced unit be any better/easier for an LT? I'm new to the LT, but I've never seen anything but a ram mount for the BMW setups. Let me know if I've missed something because I'd love to have a more elegant setup.

2. No cell coverage needed to use a phone for GPS. Please stop repeating this falsehood. Any decent smartphone has GPS built in and you can download maps for any area in a jiffy. Several options for programs to download.

I do use both Garmin and phone depending on what I'm doing. Both for the win.
1. I am quite aware that the BMW units are made by Garmin. I find the BMW stingray mount to be nicer than the RAM mounts and in my case my LT had the mount already installed when I bought it. In addition, the BMW branded unit comes with connectors that plug right into the VOICE II intercom with no wiring required.

2. Please actually read my post before you reply. I am quite aware of the capabilities if my iphone both within and without cell coverage. As I clearly wrote, outside of cell coverage you lose access to things contained in the GPS database such as gas stations and restaurants. And, I am well aware that you can download maps in advance which is why I said you could not navigate UNLESS you had downloaded the maps in advance.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Garage

Voyager - I've never seen the stingray mount. Is this still available? I looked at the fiche and didn't see anything for the older bikes. If it is would it allow mounting of a more current GPS?

I have my GPS mounted high on my GS and love being able to glance at it without taking my eyes down. I use it as my speedometer so I don't have to look down at the dashboard very often - I'm thinking the stingray may be too low for this tall rider to use.

I'll stand by my comments on #2: Your second paragraph implies depending on cell coverage - which isn't needed if you pulled maps. Even the functionality of points of interest (gas, etc.) can be loaded onto the phone if that's what you want to have.

Anyone got photos of the stingray mount with a "modern" GPS on it?
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 8:12 am

I have an old Garmin Zumo 550 'mounted' on the stingray, held on by JB Weld (it's been there for at least 7 years) and wired to a Fuzeblock. The ram mount is secure and there have been no issues for years. The power button has long since disappeared, and the duct tape covering the hole is easily replaced. I use the GPS for speed mostly, so not interested in spending lots of money for a fancy one that I wouldn't use all the features. (I do enjoy using the option to find out the altitude while in the mountains).

My source for any directions or routing is WAZE-just plug in my destination and as long as I can stand it, listen to her directions. The phone is much more up to date with updates and real time information.

2000 LT 199,505 miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 7:39 am

Probably a generic Garmin motorcycle GPS such as the Zumo 595LM is next easiest to install.

Bought one over Christmas and really just learning all the features of this device......My only complaint on mounting was the bulky wiring harness....where to store extra wire?

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti View Post
Probably a generic Garmin motorcycle GPS such as the Zumo 595LM is next easiest to install.

Bought one over Christmas and really just learning all the features of this device......My only complaint on mounting was the bulky wiring harness....where to store extra wire?
My 660LM had the extra wires, too. Did some looking around and learned that I could cut off the unused sections of cable leaving just the power cord extending to the Fuzeblock.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #10 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 9:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti View Post

When I bought my Nav V it was about $150 more than the Zumo. However, given that it was completely plug and play with my existing stingray Nav III mount and VOICE II intercom, that made it worth the premium to me. Although, the TPMS feature of the Zumo would have been nice.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in