Aftermarket CB Radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 12:05 am Thread Starter

Aftermarket CB Radio

I have an aftermarket CB radio system that I installed a few years ago. The guy at the CB shop told me I needed 9' feet of coax and then bundle it into a figure 8 to be able to work on a K1200LT. I had trouble with it getting out and making contact and that was sporadic at best. The best I could get on my SWR meter with this configuration was a "2" on the SWR meter. I made a modification to it and cut out about 6' feet of cable and the length of the coax is from the antenna to the tank bag. However, my SWR readings increased.
See the pictures attached.
Have anyone on here put in an aftermarket CB system and get the same problems? I don't want to install the BMW CB system as it is too cost prohibited and have heard there are problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	150861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	866.3 KB
ID:	150863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	694.9 KB
ID:	150867  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 6:48 am

Re: Aftermarket CB Radio

I would go into the cb forum and start on page 10 and just start reading. I used a Firestick non plane antenna on my LT and had some medium results. Here is that post:

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/interco...na-tuning.html

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 7:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdrdocbmw View Post
I have an aftermarket CB radio system that I installed a few years ago. The guy at the CB shop told me I needed 9' feet of coax and then bundle it into a figure 8 to be able to work on a K1200LT. I had trouble with it getting out and making contact and that was sporadic at best. The best I could get on my SWR meter with this configuration was a "2" on the SWR meter. I made a modification to it and cut out about 6' feet of cable and the length of the coax is from the antenna to the tank bag. However, my SWR readings increased.
See the pictures attached.
Have anyone on here put in an aftermarket CB system and get the same problems? I don't want to install the BMW CB system as it is too cost prohibited and have heard there are problems.
I installed the BMW CB (actually from J&M) and it works, but not well. I think the lack of ground plane for the antenna is the biggest issue. I donít recall specifics now as I installed it 11 years ago, but I also think I was unable to get a very low SWR and the range has always been marginal. I can talk to my brother-in-law on his Gold Wing if we are within 1/2 to 1 mile in good conditions, so the range is probably less than half what you would get in a car. Get in the mountains and the range is 1/2 to 1/2 mile generally. Knowing what I know now, I would not have bought the CB. It was expensive, doesnít work that well and blocks my view of part of the mirror and looks clunky mounted on the handlebar.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:14 am Thread Starter

OK.. Thank you. Since I had this installed, my range wasn't that good. I just think I don't need 9' feet of coax to get a halfway decent reading. I've got too much invested in this system t switch.
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Mike,
Thanks for the link. I went there and read your post and I have a question where the FS-K-8NGP cable fits into this connection as it is a different cable than a CB coax. Second question is do I need to have 9' of coax coiled up or can I just use the distance between my antenna and the radio if I go with the firestick antenna?
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 11:08 am

Garage

Quote:
Mike,
Thanks for the link. I went there and read your post and I have a question where the FS-K-8NGP cable fits into this connection as it is a different cable than a CB coax. Second question is do I need to have 9' of coax coiled up or can I just use the distance between my antenna and the radio if I go with the firestick antenna?
Because the K-8NGP coax contains a tuned circuit, reducing the length of the cable by as little as 1/4-inch (5mm) could render it useless. While there are some cases where the installation may dictate a small reduction in the length of the cable, this must be done carefully and with a degree of knowledge as to what effects on the resonant frequency that reducing the length will have on the assembly.

Template - Tech Doc
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, but the K-8NGP has different connctions than the PL-259 connector. Do you have a parts list from the K-8NGP to the firestik antenna mount?
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Mike,
Sorry, I do not remember and no longer have the LT. I do remember that I did wrap the cable in a figure 8 under he passenger seat.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Mike:
So the wrapping the coax was the ground plane I guess and the CB Shop owner was telling me the right information. Just seems kinda odd. I took my coax today, cut a section from the antenna to the tank bag, and got a 1.1 on Channel 1 and about 1.5 on channel 40. I'm going to take it out on a test ride later to see where my signal strength. I did managed to get some contacts.
Thanks for your input on this.
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:58 pm

I have a factory J&M CB which is the same that came on the LT if you ordered one. That said. I have factory antenna. The range is not bad, about a mile with other bikes. Prabably could be better with better grounding.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 7:42 am Thread Starter

Yea, I've heard the J&M is not really that good, but much better than what I have to do to get a CB on my bike. If I can get a system that I can reach other bikes close by me, I'd be happy
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 5:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a ham radio and made a plate that I installed on the rack on the trunk for the antenna . Then I grounded the plate to the frame of the bike and it works great. Jim
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Hi Jim.
I have a HAM radio as well with no issues. What did you do for your CB? Got pictures? Did you have to coil the wire in a figure 8 to get a ground plane?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in