Wheel Chock - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By scottydawg
  • 2 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Wheel Chock

Looking for suggestions for a wheel chock, one that can be used freestanding, as well as bolted down to the trailer if needed. Have to buy one since i dumped my LT on her side today, while trying to strap it down on a buddies trailer!

Oh well, a couple minor beauty marks, i guess i will have to come up with a Jack Riepe type story for them!

Thanks!

2003 LT
1980 Gold Wing Interstate (still have it!)
1979 Kawasaki 750
1975 Suzuki 175
1963 Cushman Silver Eagle (wish I still had it!) (just bought another one!)
2016 Indian Scout 60 (She who must be obeyed needed a ride!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 4:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Wheel Chock

I love my Baxley Chock. I use it on the lift and on the trailer, very well built. The sport chock is right for the LT.
You can get cheaper but not better than these. https://www.baxleycompanies.com/
kbob12 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 4:56 pm

I use one similar to what John is recommending. Free standing could present some trouble if you are not careful. I had mine adjusted as wide as it could go and the hole the front tire fell into almost required jacking the bike out of the chock. That is the way it was given to me by the PO. It would not roll out free standing as the chock had nothing to hold it firm. I have adjusted it since and it is better plus I have it bolted to my lift so the LT's reverse has no issue pulling it out. I just have no extensions for my feet so I still need help to not drop it getting it off the lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1053.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	518.4 KB
ID:	150795  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 8:53 pm

Garage

I have good luck with my harbor freight chock. 40 bucks.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 1:27 am
Old Dawg

We have 3 Condor Pit-Stop chocks in our toy hauler that are a top quality product that can be used free standing or secured in a trailer.

https://www.condor-lift.com/index.ph...&product_id=53
davebullock likes this.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 7:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leod029 View Post
Looking for suggestions for a wheel chock, one that can be used freestanding, as well as bolted down to the trailer if needed. Have to buy one since i dumped my LT on her side today, while trying to strap it down on a buddies trailer!

Oh well, a couple minor beauty marks, i guess i will have to come up with a Jack Riepe type story for them!

Thanks!
When I am strapping down my LT on a ferry (I don’t trailer my LT on principle. ), I do it as follows:

1. Park LT on sidestand.
2. Attach ratchet straps to all four corners using the recommended strap locations leaving some slack in all straps.
3. Tighten the straps opposite the sidestand until the LT is in the vertical position (it is easier if you have someone else to hold the bike upright while you do this, but it can easily be done solo. You may have to loosen the straps on the sidestand side if you didn’t leave enough slack to get the bike upright. The key is to not leave too much slack so that if you pull the bike over-center, it can’t tip over, but just “fall” against the straps on the side stand side.
4. Once the bike is basically vertical, adjust tension on the straps as required for transport.
5. Raise the side stand.

Then once at your destination, lower the side stand and loosen the straps opposite the side stand to allow the LT to slowly tip back over onto the side stand. Remove all straps and you are ready to roll.
davebullock and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I love my Baxley Chock. I use it on the lift and on the trailer, very well built. The sport chock is right for the LT.
You can get cheaper but not better than these. https://www.baxleycompanies.com/
Can't imagine using anything other than my Baxley. Extremely confident when parking the bike in it.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #8 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Baxley - Great 👍

Convenient h/w kit for trailer floor attachment and very stable as a stand-alone chock in garage.. and hangs on wall, out of way when not needed..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1554406615302.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	758.8 KB
ID:	150803  

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #9 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Yeah, I tried using a free-standing chock with the LT. Getting parked was easy and it held great. The trouble was getting out. The LT is way too heavy to manually haul it out of the chock. Putting the bike in Reverse only had the effect of dragging the chock across the garage floor. Something to think about if you want to use it free-standing. With the centerstand, there hasn't been much reason for me to put it into the stand.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 7:49 pm

I found the available adjustments offered on the Baxley chocks make the ‘bike out movement’ fairly easy, once the correct position for your bike is found.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #11 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 7:43 am Thread Starter

Voyager, I agree, the LT is meant to be ridden! As a rule, I don't trailer my LT. My better half and I have ridden through 37 states and 5 Canadian provinces. Every ride began and ended at home, with no trailer involved.

BUT, when the nearest dealer (who can be trusted, that's another story) is almost 3 hours away, it's tough to get someone to pick you up after leaving the Large Truck for service.

I am worried about having the chock slide when removing the bike, but i don't want to drill holes in a borrowed trailer to mount it.

Thanks for the input all!

Leaving for Florida (and 7 mores states) in 28 days!

2003 LT
1980 Gold Wing Interstate (still have it!)
1979 Kawasaki 750
1975 Suzuki 175
1963 Cushman Silver Eagle (wish I still had it!) (just bought another one!)
2016 Indian Scout 60 (She who must be obeyed needed a ride!)
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 8:03 am

With chock placed against front wall or frame of trailer and bike strapped off forks to each front trailer corner, it will not move

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #13 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 11:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Voyager, I agree, the LT is meant to be ridden! As a rule, I don't trailer my LT. My better half and I have ridden through 37 states and 5 Canadian provinces. Every ride began and ended at home, with no trailer involved.

BUT, when the nearest dealer (who can be trusted, that's another story) is almost 3 hours away, it's tough to get someone to pick you up after leaving the Large Truck for service.

I am worried about having the chock slide when removing the bike, but i don't want to drill holes in a borrowed trailer to mount it.

Thanks for the input all!

Leaving for Florida (and 7 mores states) in 28 days!
My LT service facility is about 150’ from my house.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #14 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Quote:

!
Find an extra strap and strap the chock to the front of the trailer or to something unmovable in front of it and you will be able to back it off.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #15 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I originally bought a wheel chock from Cycle Gear, couldn't get the LT out without a neighbor's help, even after putting a plastic bag over the wheel cradle as recommended by another rider to prevent the tire from sticking to the cradle. Took it back and bought a Condor, which I really love.

I normally parked my LT, and now my GTLE in the chock nightly. To ensure the chock doesn't move forward when riding into it, I bolted some wood blocks in front and back of the front brace. This worked well, but once, when I had been working on the LT, I used the foot peg to get up off the floor, and while my back was turned, the LT fell right, into my car - no damage to the LT, but made a couple of minor dents in the car.

I then bought and installed the rear legs for the Condor, with the thought that it would make it much more unlikely to topple to the side. That worked great for a while, until the GTLE fell to the left into a workbench, still in the Condor. I have since bolted the Condor firmly to the concrete floor and don't anticipate any further problems, barring a major earthquake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Condor Wheel Chock.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	150821  

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

Tags
wheel chock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in