• 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Mar 29th, 2019, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Bleeding to Death

All, 2004KLT

Doing this wide range of maintenance/upgrades, including Spiegler lines and new fluid. I have followed Kirk's video religiously. Have clear fluid flowing everywhere.
Not to a point to ride yet, but the feel of the brakes seems a little soft. Unfortunately, I've only ridden this thing once back in Oct. I think I recall that the stroke of the hand lever and the foot lever was very short. Like the hand lever might have moved 1/4", now it's moving over an inch.

Is my recollection correct? If properly bled, do these levers have very short stroke? Both hand and foot are moving a little over an inch. I have run the bike and tried the levers and no improvement.

I think Kirk's video for bleeding is a case without swapping brake lines. I swapped lines and that basically let air go everywhere.

Let me know if I need to keep bleeding, or take a new approach, or maybe they're fine and my memory is off.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Mar 29th, 2019, 10:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Bleeding to Death

Yes but only with the key on as the ABS unit gives feedback to the lever and pedal. Button it up and do a gradual riding test. If you did something wrong a fault will present itself.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Mar 30th, 2019, 9:21 am

Garage

Watching. My replacement lines arrive on Tuesday. Not looking forward to going in deep.

post #4 of 22 Old Mar 30th, 2019, 12:10 pm

If you wanted to bond with your bike, hereís the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #5 of 22 Old Mar 30th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa6bmw View Post
All, 2004KLT

Doing this wide range of maintenance/upgrades, including Spiegler lines and new fluid. I have followed Kirk's video religiously. Have clear fluid flowing everywhere.
Not to a point to ride yet, but the feel of the brakes seems a little soft. Unfortunately, I've only ridden this thing once back in Oct. I think I recall that the stroke of the hand lever and the foot lever was very short. Like the hand lever might have moved 1/4", now it's moving over an inch.

Is my recollection correct? If properly bled, do these levers have very short stroke? Both hand and foot are moving a little over an inch. I have run the bike and tried the levers and no improvement.

I think Kirk's video for bleeding is a case without swapping brake lines. I swapped lines and that basically let air go everywhere.

Let me know if I need to keep bleeding, or take a new approach, or maybe they're fine and my memory is off.

Thanks
The only way to know for sure is to do a bleed test with the GS-911 or the dealer’s MoDiTec.

After I installed my Spieglers, I had a heck of a time getting the rear brake bled enough to pass the bleed test. And even when both ends passed, the brakes did not feel as firm as with the old factory hoses. Same was true for the clutch since I had the slave cylinder completely apart to clean it and grease its bearing. However, after a few hundred miles of riding, the lever travel on both brakes and the clutch got less and they all felt firm and positive as before the work. I think that no matter how well you bleed the circuits, some air still remains in the form of micro bubbles that simply cling in place and refuse to move with normal bleeding velocities. I believe the only way to get things completely back to normal is to let the vibration of the engine ad the road coalesce the micro bubbles and move them to the free surface of the master cylinders.

So, as long as your brakes work well enough to ride safely, I suspect you will find that the best way to really get them back in shape is to simply take a few rides.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old Mar 31st, 2019, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
If you wanted to bond with your bike, hereís the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, if nothing else, I am highly bonded!!

I have worked on other bikes, rebuilt car engines, restored a couple of muscle cars, but this bike has a challenge around every corner. My oldest son was here to start into this job. I lost count of how many times either of us said, "why did they put that there?" or "why did they design it like that?" The transmission drain plug is a gem, and the location of the air filter. Based on stories over many years from many friends about maintenance and costs for BMW cars, I will never own one. I was expecting this to be a challenge being from BMW, and it was. Patience, diligence and creativity in tool making and gaining access - that's what it takes.
post #7 of 22 Old Mar 31st, 2019, 12:08 pm

You will need to run the ABS Pump during the bleed process. Make sure you have a battery charger handy. It will draw the battery down.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 22 Old Mar 31st, 2019, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

In case it hasn't already been identified, I found that a 3/8" - 16 coupling nut is perfect for the transmission drain plug. The hex is 14mm and the length is 1-3/4" so you can work it up in there, then get a wrench on it.
niel_petersen likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old Apr 1st, 2019, 8:08 am

Quote:
In case it hasn't already been identified, I found that a 3/8" - 16 coupling nut is perfect for the transmission drain plug. The hex is 14mm and the length is 1-3/4" so you can work it up in there, then get a wrench on it.
You can also use a 7/16" threaded rod connector bolt that is of proper length and size to use with a boxed end wrench.

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 3:18 pm

Garage

Quote:
Yes, if nothing else, I am highly bonded!!

The transmission drain plug is a gem, and the location of the air filter.
I hope whoever designed the trans drain plug has lost their job. That was a major engineering error.

2002 BMW K1200LT 57k (new to me 1-20-19)
1971 BMW R60/5 27k (father-in-law was original owner)
1972 & 1973 Honda Trail 70s
1971 Honda XL175 (grandfather was original owner)
1997 Ducati 748 Sold
2000 Ducati 996 7k
2001 Ducati Monster 800 Sold
2008 Ducati Monster 696 Sold
1997 Honda CBR600 Sold
1973 Suzuki GT550 (2 stroke!) Sold
1973 Honda CB500 Sold
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 5:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
I hope whoever designed the trans drain plug has lost their job. That was a major engineering error.
I am not sure what the error is with the drain plug. I think the error is the exhaust system bracket and/or the EHCS.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 22 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Garage

I'm thinking about installing speed bleeders on all 3 calipers.

Any thoughts or concerns with that?

Thanks.

post #13 of 22 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:00 am

Garage

Quote:

Thanks.

No concerns, but I'm wondering why? With the servo assist it essentially pumps the lower circuits for you on the bleed. Hook up a hose, open, and let the motor in the ABS do the work, close, remove hose.

FWIW - I put new hoses on last weekend and my issue is getting pressure in the hoses before the ABS.
post #14 of 22 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 2:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:

Thanks.
Personally I won't use them (had a bad experience with an MGB) but I love their Speed Bleeder bag and hose for $6. If you hook up the hose, elevate the bag and open the bleeder you can turn any bleed job into a one man (woman) job as bubbles will not go down hill so you can pump away manual or servo.
Voyager likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 22 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Personally I won't use them (had a bad experience with an MGB) but I love their Speed Bleeder bag and hose for $6. If you hook up the hose, elevate the bag and open the bleeder you can turn any bleed job into a one man (woman) job as bubbles will not go down hill so you can pump away manual or servo.
I second John. The bag works great and you can keep the simple stock bleed valves. I think this is a case where simpler is better.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 22 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 9:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruincounselor View Post
FWIW - I put new hoses on last weekend and my issue is getting pressure in the hoses before the ABS.
I have done six installs on LTs and I find it easier to push fluid up from the ABS to the front master cylinder (it is all uphill), but the rear is always a bear to get pressure back into. Tried pushing on the rear and no go, just had to work the master cylinder. Some went kwikly and some took forever to get it.
bruincounselor likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks guys.

I was considering them because I want to get my tight levers back. I was wondering if they might improve the quality of the bleed due to their design. After the massive 12K maintenance/upgrades(including new Spiegler lines), the foot and hand have more travel. They were very tight prior. Took it out for an hour long shake down run over the weekend and it ran perfectly. Brakes still work great and they don't get soft, but more squeeze.

I'll go with Voyager's advice and see if I can vibrate any bubbles out over the next few hundred miles.

post #18 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I was considering them because I want to get my tight levers back. I was wondering if they might improve the quality of the bleed due to their design. After the massive 12K maintenance/upgrades(including new Spiegler lines), the foot and hand have more travel. They were very tight prior. Took it out for an hour long shake down run over the weekend and it ran perfectly. Brakes still work great and they don't get soft, but more squeeze.

I'll go with Voyager's advice and see if I can vibrate any bubbles out over the next few hundred miles.
I suspect time and vibration will restore the firmer lever action. If not, I would get a bag and bleed that way another time.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
John, from where do I learn this bag process? First I have heard of it.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #20 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
John, from where do I learn this bag process? First I have heard of it.
First, buy one of these or make one from an IV bag if you have access to them and want to invest some time. I just bought one of these given the low price. https://www.amazon.com/Russell-63950...SIN=B000CPARUQ

Second, hang the bag such that it is higher than the bleed valve and connect the hose to the bleed valve nipple.

Then you can crack the bleed valve and bleed into the bag. I personally still use the crack and close even with the bag as extra assurance that I donít crack the valve too wide and let air get sucked in around the threads on the back stroke. However, in theory, you can just leave the valve cracked a small amount and pump away at the lever. On the negative pressure back stroke, all that should get sucked back in is a little fluid from the tube since there is no air against the bleed valve. Again, the only caution is that if you open the valve a little too far, you CAN suck air on the back stroke, but not through the valve, but rather around its threads.
kbob12 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #21 of 22 Old Yesterday, 7:56 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

+1 what Matt said. I used to do the close and open thing but this has never failed me. I will do a close and open on a BLEED vs. FLUSH as they are two different animals. One has air and the second does not(unless you screw up). And I do not open the valve anymore than needed to see fluid flow.

The issue I had with the SB units was the tread sealer they have on them, it stopped air from getting in but it was too hard to tell when they were closed due to the friction. These were very small bleeders on the rear wheel cylinders on an MGB. I gave up on them.
kbob12 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #22 of 22 Old Today, 7:03 pm

new brake lines, not too bad...ugh on frozen and stripped banjo bolts. Run a loop of hose with new fluid from bleeder back to reservoir and circulate new fluid until no bubbles.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in